Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Punishment for the shooter? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:
Absolutely her job...But her singular focus is keeping him alive.

Huh. Good thing I'm not a defense attorney. I thought their job is to provide a competent defense so the court can make an informed decision as to what should be done with him.

In our adversarial system she is doing her job. It is not an easy job and is not for everyone (me included). But without people like her the system doesn't work properly.

I haven't seen anything from her that I think is objectionable. There are frequently times when I think defense attorneys need to just shut the hell up. I have not seen that from her.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Huh. Good thing I'm not a defense attorney. I thought their job is to provide a competent defense so the court can make an informed decision as to what should be done with him.

Both the prosecution and defense use the media in sensational cases. You know this.
Quote Reply
Re: Punishment for the shooter? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I know. That doesn't mean it's a requirement of their job, any more than it was Cochran's job to replace all of OJs white photos with photos of black people.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Yes, I know. That doesn't mean it's a requirement of their job, any more than it was Cochran's job to replace all of OJs white photos with photos of black people.

The requirement is to try to win. If the prosecution is using the media, but the defense relinquishes the same opportunity that strikes me as the first step towards just mailing it in.

Of course there are gray areas. And black areas. On both sides.

But I don't see that treating your client like a nice person in public is some hugely egregious act. How can she credibly ask a juror to see him as someone whose life is worth saving if she can't bring herself to act the same way in public?
Quote Reply
Re: Punishment for the shooter? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
Lets ignore the fact that we're talking about state law and the 8th Amendment prohibition against cruel punishment was only a federal restriction.

Yes, let's do that, since the prohibition against cruel punishment isn't some sort of fringe concept that only exists in one small item of the federal Constitution.

But since you're so inexplicably caught up in the issue of Federal vs States, you should probably just realize that Florida has it's own provision forbidding cruel and unusual punishments in its constitution. "Excessive fines, cruel and unusual punishment, attainder, forfeiture of estate, indefinite imprisonment, and unreasonable detention of witnesses are forbidden."

RG in italics.
Good find.
The reason we're caught up in Federal vs. States is you said that "cruel" was unconstitutional and pointed to the 8th Amendment. I pointed out that Founding Fathers created the Amendments as limitations to the Federal government only, and that it was actually SCOTUS, many decades later, that applied the Amendments to the state. So the prohibition against "cruel" was not a Constitutional prohibition, but one created by SCOTUS over-reach.

Your find re. FL law was a good one. Of course this was all kind of a theoretical debate and if it had been clear from the get-go that all ideas had to adhere to FL law, the thread would have been much shorter.

Quote:
And lets not bother to understand precisely what the Founding Fathers meant when they used that word, lets feel free to re-interpret it to suit the whim of the moment.

Or, we can understand the intent and concept in terms of our current understanding of morality and ethics, like we do for basically all law. Again, not some weird fringe concept.

RG in italics.
Yes, that's the argument used when folks find the Amendment Process inconvenient and simply "re-interpret" the Constitution into oblivion. I give you, for example, the Commerce Clause. "Current understanding of morality and ethics" sounds reasonable enough, but somehow the results just make the limited Federal government envisioned by the Founding Fathers bigger and bigger. The primary purpose of the Constitution was to create a "limited" Federal government, an idea that had never succeeded before. National governments have always grown in power. The Founding Fathers tried to create one that would remain constrained. The generations that followed failed them.

You keep talking in absolutes. I keep talking about Federal restrictions. We're kinda talking past each other. The way the relationship between the Federal Government and the States is supposed to work leaves them free to treat crime however they want. We are low on clash here. I say "The Federal Constitution shouldn't be cited as constraining states re. "cruel" punishment". And you push the idea of "it should be ok to redefine "cruel" to adhere to modern norms". Those two points don't clash. I'm fine with redefining "cruel", just do it at the state level. My problem is that you're trying to redefine at the Federal level by citing SCOTUS's unconstitutional bypass of the Amendment Process that applied the Amendments to states 90yrs after the Founding Fathers wrote them. If the Founding Fathers had wanted that, that's what they would have wrote.

Quote:
Why bother to refer to our founding documents if we feel no obligation to be bound by them?

I don't know. Why do you not feel bound by them? The Founders didn't say that specific punishments should be considered cruel and others not. They prohibited cruelty in legal punishments. If they wanted to prohibit strictly the rack, but not the chair, they could/would have said so.

RG in italics.
I do feel bound by what the Founding Fathers wrote. I agree that the Amendments prohibit Federally administered "cruel" punishment. But we're talking about state law, not Federal law. You would apply restrictions designed for the Federal Government, to the state, IAW "Incorporation doctrine", an invention of SCOTUS decades after the fact.

Quote:
We are now a land ruled by (wo)men, not law.

The law doesn't mean shit without the interpretation and understanding of that law by actual people.

RG in Italics. See above re. re-interpretation into oblivion. Sounds nice, but what happens is the Constitution gets pissed on. Recall the WW2 era case that SCOTUS used to expand Federal power under the commerce clause. Some wheat farmer was hit with federal charges for growing some wheat he wasn't authorized to. It was feed for his livestock. SCOTUS decided that since the wheat he grew for his own farm's consumption could conceivably effect wheat pricing in the next state, the Feds had the authority under the clause to "regulate interstate commerce" to tell the Farmer what he could or could not grow. Therefore every product and every service produced in the US, suddenly became under the direct control of the Feds. You figure that's what the Founding Fathers intended for our limited government?

Quote:
I'm just trying to make y'all think about the delta between what the Founding Fathers wrote and what we're actually doing.

Well what you suggested was that we should deliberately engage in cruel punishment, forbidden by law, and that anyone who didn't agree with you has to take ownership of the victims of the next shooting. Pretty sure that's not what the Founders intended.

RG in italics.
We going to have a new criteria for LR such that every call for hypothetical solutions must meet all Federal, State, County, Municipal, and HOA requirement? What happened to hypotheticals being available for discussion on their merit, or lack thereof, alone? We spend all this time here debating the idea of controlling "behavior" by controlling "access to weapons". I advocate the idea of controlling behavior by (wow!) deterring behavior, and I get the beat down. Not reasonable.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Punishment for the shooter? [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We going to have a new criteria for LR such that every call for hypothetical solutions must meet all Federal, State, County, Municipal, and HOA requirement? What happened to hypotheticals being available for discussion on their merit, or lack thereof, alone?

We don't have to have that requirement, but when someone makes the somewhat absurd assertion that we should implement a cruel and unusual punishment on a person, and that anyone who doesn't agree has to own the deaths of any future shooting victims, you can be sure we're going to have a discussion about the moral implications of that absurdity, and whether or not having the government (federal or state) deliberately act in a cruel and unusual manner towards its citizens is acceptable and/or in line with the intent of our Founders and the tradition of the past 200 years of our country.

Quote:
I advocate the idea of controlling behavior by (wow!) deterring behavior, and I get the beat down. Not reasonable.

You went a step or two further than just advocating for deterring future behavior. I'm not a big gun control advocate, but I am going to take issue when you tell me that I'm responsible for future deaths because I wasn't willing to compromise principles that form the foundation of our legal system by supporting deliberately cruel and unusual punishments.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Punishment for the shooter? [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
sphere wrote:

The requirement is to try to win. If the prosecution is using the media, but the defense relinquishes the same opportunity that strikes me as the first step towards just mailing it in.

Of course there are gray areas. And black areas. On both sides.

But I don't see that treating your client like a nice person in public is some hugely egregious act. How can she credibly ask a juror to see him as someone whose life is worth saving if she can't bring herself to act the same way in public?

No way that shooter can be assured of a fair trial down in the jurisdiction in which he committed the crime. I see a big change of venue motion on this one in the future. And you know Rick Scott is going to make sure that a State Attorney who's pro-death penalty is going to prosecute that case.

I actually don't mind some mild railroading of this gentleman, mainly because he's so obviously guilty, but I'm with others here who want to avoid the cruel and unusual punishment thing. Straight up, state-sanctioned execution is fine. Either by lethal injection or electrocution, whichever one is most favored by Florida.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Quote:
We going to have a new criteria for LR such that every call for hypothetical solutions must meet all Federal, State, County, Municipal, and HOA requirement? What happened to hypotheticals being available for discussion on their merit, or lack thereof, alone?

We don't have to have that requirement, but when someone makes the somewhat absurd assertion that we should implement a cruel and unusual punishment on a person, and that anyone who doesn't agree has to own the deaths of any future shooting victims, you can be sure we're going to have a discussion about the moral implications of that absurdity, and whether or not having the government (federal or state) deliberately act in a cruel and unusual manner towards its citizens is acceptable and/or in line with the intent of our Founders and the tradition of the past 200 years of our country.

Quote:
I advocate the idea of controlling behavior by (wow!) deterring behavior, and I get the beat down. Not reasonable.

You went a step or two further than just advocating for deterring future behavior. I'm not a big gun control advocate, but I am going to take issue when you tell me that I'm responsible for future deaths because I wasn't willing to compromise principles that form the foundation of our legal system by supporting deliberately cruel and unusual punishments.

I already gave you "unusual". Can we let that go?

All punishment is, by definition, cruel. The more cruel (and sure) the consequences, more deterrence you get. If someone advocates punishments that are of insufficient deterrence (and certainty) to stop the next slaughter of innocent school kids, then it seems reasonable for that person to see the link between what they advocated and what the reduced deterrence wrought.

I did not go a step or two further that "just advocating for deterring future behavior". Making the punishment for this sort of thing more awful was precisely designed to deter future behavior. I didn't say "kill him because society needs to purge itself of this kind of person", I didn't go anywhere near revenge. It was always about deterrence.

If a person isn't willing to support punishments sufficient to achieve significant deterrent affect, I'm fine with accepting that person sees things differently than I. They are oriented on how the perp is treated and I'm oriented on fewer victims. But the person who is against achieving significant deterrence should be honest enough with themselves that they can see the link between what the "kindler gentler" that they advocate and increased violent crimes. If they do that, they make honest choices with their eyes wide open.

It's not clear to me that our current take on the definition of "cruel" is a "foundation of our legal system". Remember, it's not so much about "cruel" as its "our current idea of what cruel is". Flogging was legal at the state level in our lifetime. If a public flogging of the FL shooter was determined to have a significant deterrent effect, would we support that? If not, what would we say to the parents of the next HS shooting?

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
All punishment is, by definition, cruel.

Hmmmm. We just gave our grandson a 3 minute time out because he wouldn't behave. Do you define that as 'cruel'?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Really? So now you've shifted all the way to the point where all prohibitions against cruel punishment are meaningless, because all punishment is cruel? Seriously? You're going to pretty silly lengths to defend what was an absurd original statement.

Quote:
The more cruel (and sure) the consequences, more deterrence you get. If someone advocates punishments that are of insufficient deterrence (and certainty) to stop the next slaughter of innocent school kids, then it seems reasonable for that person to see the link between what they advocated and what the reduced deterrence wrought.

Multiple problems of logic here. First, you're pretending that "deterrent" and "cruel" are the same thing, and they are not. Second, you're ignoring the fact that the issue is more complex than simply a single "deterrent" action and a single subsequent incident. Let's say you have a kid. The kid claps his hands loudly and yells while you're on the phone. You can be sure to deter such behavior by chopping off his fingers. Of course you just gave away a whole slew of other things, like your integrity, your honor, your sense of humanity, your morals, etc. But hey, you got the deterrent effect you wanted, so....

You can't boil this down to such a simplistic cause and effect equation.

Quote:
If a person isn't willing to support punishments sufficient to achieve significant deterrent affect, I'm fine with accepting that person sees things differently than I. They are oriented on how the perp is treated and I'm oriented on fewer victims.

It isn't about being oriented on the alleged perpetrator. It's about being focused on the integrity of the system and the process. That's the point. Our system is based on the concept that the process matters most, and that if the process is honored, the end results will work, on aggregate, to our benefit. Does that mean there might be occasional smashing triumphs and occasional heartbreaking tragedies? Sure. But overall, we honor the process, because that's what sets our system apart from capricious spiteful vengeful systems.

Quote:
But the person who is against achieving significant deterrence should be honest enough with themselves that they can see the link between what the "kindler gentler" that they advocate and increased violent crimes.

Sure, except that it seems violent crime statistics have been trending fairly steadily downward for years. The FBI indicates that violent crime rates have dropped from about 611 per 100,000 citizens to 386 per 100,000 citizens from 1997 to 2016.

Quote:
If a public flogging of the FL shooter was determined to have a significant deterrent effect, would we support that? If not, what would we say to the parents of the next HS shooting?

We would say, "We're very sorry, but we don't beat people in public on the off chance that it might prevent someone else from committing a crime in the future. We left that type of thing behind more than 150 years ago." If you want to live in the 1800s, you're welcome to go live in countries where public corporal punishment is still permitted. You can find most of them in the Middle East or Africa.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Punishment for the shooter? [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Harbinger wrote:
RangerGress wrote:

Hmmmm. We just gave our grandson a 3 minute time out because he wouldn't behave. Do you define that as 'cruel'?

Sure it's cruel. We have gotten used to using the word "cruel" as meaning "severe punishment", but that's not exactly correct. To punish is to inflict pain, of one sort or another. To be cruel is to inflict pain. All punishment is cruel, but certainly not all cruelty is punishment. Punishment is the form of cruelty we use when we're trying to encourage the person/critter/whatever to change their behavior.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lets give up. I think we've beat this horse to death.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Re: Punishment for the shooter? [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-thing-feathers/201802/mental-illness-didnt-make-him-do-it

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply

Prev Next