Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justinhorne wrote:
By pulling off the ferule, it looks like the cable is beginning to fray. That's not a problem in and of itself, but it looks like there's almost no cable being bitten by the screw. I wouldn't trust that.

Ok, so I re-adjusted it. Now it's biting the cable a lot more.

I took a test ride and the rim is not rubbing the brakes anymore.

See the photo attached here.

Last edited by: gazoome: Feb 25, 18 9:29
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [gazoome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Am I okay here?
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [gazoome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The cable is supposed to run along the outside of the arm, resting on the shelf just ahead of the pinch bolt. It is correct in the original photo at the beginning of your thread. In my estimation the cable has been compromised by all the work you’ve done and it should be replaced for fear of slippage/breakage. I think the problem is not how it was run through the pinch bolt but rather how the cable housing is approaching the brake. I’m not familiar with the exact set up but from the earlier picture almost looks like the housing should be underneath the black plastic cover that’s attached to the frame. Routing it through there would give a better approach angle and potentially less bind. Again, I’m only working off of your photos and without having the bike in hand I can’t tell if that is really what’s causing the issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would ask the bike shop for a refund.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [Chris B.O.B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chris B.O.B. wrote:
The cable is supposed to run along the outside of the arm, resting on the shelf just ahead of the pinch bolt. It is correct in the original photo at the beginning of your thread. In my estimation the cable has been compromised by all the work you’ve done and it should be replaced for fear of slippage/breakage. I think the problem is not how it was run through the pinch bolt but rather how the cable housing is approaching the brake. I’m not familiar with the exact set up but from the earlier picture almost looks like the housing should be underneath the black plastic cover that’s attached to the frame. Routing it through there would give a better approach angle and potentially less bind. Again, I’m only working off of your photos and without having the bike in hand I can’t tell if that is really what’s causing the issue.

Thanks for the explanation.

If I go back to the shop now, they'll just say it's my fault because I did the work myself based on the recommendations on the forum here.

Anyway, the brakes are working fine now. After a test ride they are no longer rubbing and they feel good when I pull them. Also the cable looks to be pinched down pretty well.

Should I not just leave as it is and call it a day?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn’t ride that.
Quote Reply
Re: Shimano Direct Mount brakes, brakes are rubbing, can't adjust clearance [Chris B.O.B.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And for clarity, I don’t think anyone here advised that you run the cable into the pinch bolt that way.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, you want the cable to run outside the bolt, like the photo below. The cable may be starting too fray a bit, so you may want to consider running a brand new cable.

Alex Arman

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris B.O.B. wrote:
The cable is supposed to run along the outside of the arm, resting on the shelf just ahead of the pinch bolt. It is correct in the original photo at the beginning of your thread.

That's what I thought too. The photos aren't super clear in the beginning, so if the pads were rubbing on the tire, fair game. But the cable itself looks correct.

Chris B.O.B. wrote:
I’m not familiar with the exact set up but from the earlier picture almost looks like the housing should be underneath the black plastic cover that’s attached to the frame. Routing it through there would give a better approach angle and potentially less bind.

Yeah, that looks like it would help the line a lot.

EDIT to add: But yeah OP, it's currently setup incorrectly.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: Feb 26, 18 7:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gazoome wrote:
jkhayc wrote:
Does your bike have horizontal or vertical dropouts?

Look at the photos. I am not sure what you mean. It's a Shimano Ultegra Direct Mount brake system.

if your bike has horizontal dropouts, you may simply need to move the wheel backwards.
Quote Reply

Prev Next