Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Why we guns? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
I'm all for this, a question: are your schools and families good or terrible where you live? All of this hand-wringing from older men. Meanwhile, crime is down, divorce is down, economy is booming. It is true that there is a divergence in opportunity and expectations, but there is no real effort address that.

You really need to come to the Detroit area and live here for a month. You can ride along with my dad and I while we go deal with his rental property tenants down in the city. My Detroit Police Department supervising sergeant cousin could probably also get you a ride along, if you'd like. I'll rent you some body armor, cheap. ;-)

From what I understand, Stoneman Douglas High School was a 3,000-student behemoth and didn't lack for much in the way of resources. But what resources could they have used to prevent or head off this shooting that they didn't have at the time? That's a question deserving of examination. And I'm sure many, many other schools could use the same sort of examination.

And this is why these solutions should be implemented at the State and local level, instead of calling for massive federal regulations, laws, spending, etc to solve a problem that predominately impacts just a few areas.

Florida Senator Marco Rubio was recently asked about pursuing legislation to stop this sort of thing via gun control laws. His response was that none of the gun control laws proposed would have prevented this or any of the other major shootings which have occurred over the last few months or several years.

The Washington Post decided to fact-check Rubio and found that he was speaking the truth. The paper went back to the Newtown shooting in 2012 and chose 12 mass shootings to analyze. Fact-checkers concluded that none of the shootings would have been avoided by passing new laws currently under discussion.

More gun control laws aren't going to help. There's something wrong with our culture that's making becoming a mass shooter more acceptable in the eyes of already-damaged people, especially when it comes to shooting up a school.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Why we guns? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:
All in for this. For the cost of a couple J35s you could put some serious (relatively speaking) $$ into this. Problem then becomes the US education system where the $$ always seems to go into bureaucracy and not into the classrooms and teachers salaries where it would make the most diff.

/r

Like politics, all societal behavior is downstream from culture. I've pointed it out before, but when we encourage a culture that celebrates gangstas, 'transgressive art,' antifa and other various forms of thug life, and which refuses to enforce the precepts of personal responsibility, why are we surprised when something like a school shooting happens?

By every indication, this school shooter -- as well as most others who've shot up a school -- suffered from deep-seated pathologies, including a range of behavioral issues, poor impulse control, violent acting out, the harming of small animals (or at least the applauding of such harm) and the like.

Yet the social, psychological and legal interventions that could have prevented the shooting never occurred. That's a recipe for disaster in every single instance.

the bolded part is meaningless; the rest of the post is just confused.

-mike

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Florida Senator Marco Rubio was recently asked about pursuing legislation to stop this sort of thing via gun control laws. His response was that none of the gun control laws proposed would have prevented this or any of the other major shootings which have occurred over the last few months or several years.

Generally accurate when he said it in December 2015 (and only because he refered solely to federal bills), sadly not at all true now. I suspect this linked article will be trotted out for another decade, and people will not be aware that "current proposals" and "recent shootings" and "under consideration" are all obsolete.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 18, 18 13:58
Quote Reply
Re: Why we guns? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:

Maybe Dan should start a new poll: Poster Most Likely to be a Bot.
Quote Reply
Re: Why we need guns? [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BTW, do you live in California?
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 18, 18 14:48
Quote Reply
Re: Why we guns? [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:
big kahuna wrote:
Steve Hawley wrote:
All in for this. For the cost of a couple J35s you could put some serious (relatively speaking) $$ into this. Problem then becomes the US education system where the $$ always seems to go into bureaucracy and not into the classrooms and teachers salaries where it would make the most diff.

/r

Like politics, all societal behavior is downstream from culture. I've pointed it out before, but when we encourage a culture that celebrates gangstas, 'transgressive art,' antifa and other various forms of thug life, and which refuses to enforce the precepts of personal responsibility, why are we surprised when something like a school shooting happens?

By every indication, this school shooter -- as well as most others who've shot up a school -- suffered from deep-seated pathologies, including a range of behavioral issues, poor impulse control, violent acting out, the harming of small animals (or at least the applauding of such harm) and the like.

Yet the social, psychological and legal interventions that could have prevented the shooting never occurred. That's a recipe for disaster in every single instance.

-mike

That's fine, Mike. What say you about the issue, then? No issues with the broader culture and it's completely and totally about the gun, I suppose.

Quote Reply
Re: Why we guns? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eb wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

Maybe Dan should start a new poll: Poster Most Likely to be a Bot.

Meantime, most folks here have pretty much made up their minds, with adamantine certitude, about what the problem is and anyone who disagrees or offers another perspective is most likely a 'bot. Is that the gist of your thesis, sir?

A bit more evidence for Mr. TriTimmy's proposition:

'I don't want to kill you': Detroit man, 81, pistol-whipped, carjacked

"An 81-year-old Detroit man was pistol-whipped and carjacked outside his apartment late Saturday night on the city's east side, police said.

The incident took place about 8:45 p.m. on the 3600 block of Rivard, north of Mack.

The victim told police he was in front of his apartment when two armed men approached him on foot."

I'd hazard a guess that very few of the people in this thread have really been put in actual fear of their lives -- other than our law enforcement officer and a couple others of us who have either served in the military and/or been put into a hazard situation, such as a mugging or a robbery (been there, done that, got the t-shirt to prove it, when it comes to the military as well as the robbery, back when I was a full-service gas station attendant in high school at one of the tougher corners in Detroit back in the day).

It's simple: most Americans not blessed with adamantine certitude about much of what goes on in life would like to be able to defend themselves, or at least have the freedom if they'd like to do so, even if they've never owned a gun in their lives. Good luck convincing them that they're just dumb rubes who are part of the problem we're seeing with school and other mass shootings.

Last edited by: big kahuna: Feb 18, 18 15:46
Quote Reply
Re: Why we need guns? [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timberwolf wrote:
Brown has taxpayer supplied (armed) body guards. He doesn't have to worry about this kind of stuff happening to him.
The chance that someone (I'm thinking of a few people from the LR) would want to attack Brown is a lot higher than the possibility of someone going after Joe Lunchbox.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: Why we need guns? [Alvin Tostig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alvin Tostig wrote:
timberwolf wrote:
Brown has taxpayer supplied (armed) body guards. He doesn't have to worry about this kind of stuff happening to him.

The chance that someone (I'm thinking of a few people from the LR) would want to attack Brown is a lot higher than the possibility of someone going after Joe Lunchbox.

It's more about the cluelessness and the hypocrisy than anything else. Sauce for the gander and all that. At minimum, most of us would like to NOT be lectured by a class of people who benefit from the protection given by the firearm placed in the hands of people who know how to use it.

And of course Brown is likely in more danger of harm than Joe Lunchbox. But that kind of misses the point when it comes to the right to self-defense. You shouldn't have to prove that someone out there may try to kill you if you don't have "permission" to own and possess a firearm.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I'd hazard a guess that very few of the people in this thread have really been put in actual fear of their lives --

Of course I have. I'm enormously aware of my surroundings after having lived in "the murder capital of the USA" (circa 1980's). Of course, with that goes some form of rational analysis of threat. A particular crime in a trailer park in Hemet has very little to do with the risks that I personally experience today, any more than the muggings/burglaries/shootings that happened decades ago. Suicide/depression/addiction are more worrisome concerns.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 18, 18 17:04
Quote Reply

Prev Next