Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
LorenzoP wrote:
this photo was taken a second or two before Reagan was shot - there could have been 8+ well-trained armed men right here surrounding him - and he was still shot by a single shooter

Your point being? Any FBI or Secret Service agent will tell you, if the assailant has no concern about being caught, there is virtually nothing you can do to prevent a single shooter from getting a single shot in many, many situations.

But, because you want to talk about Hinckley's shooting of Reagan, let's talk about it. Hinckley had a history of mental illness that would have prevented him from buying a handgun today. But, in 1981, the Brady Act was not in place and, therefore, there was no background check for gun purchases.

Now, in 2007, Virginia Tech shooter Cho Seung-hui should have been barred from purchasing a weapon because a judge had ruled him mentally ill in 2005. But due to a Virginia law that states that a person must be committed to a mental institution before they can be prevented from purchasing a weapon, state officials never reported the judge’s ruling to the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS). Great ... Perhaps that is a "loophole" that should be closed ...

Well that was a bitch slapping. Who pissed in your Cheerios?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Even in a perfect world where all private firearms are confiscated, a police officer or soldier (assuming they are still allowed to carry) could still go berserk and shoot a bunch of kids.

Can you see, in your example, a reduced opportunity?

If the ‘good guy with a gun’, that’s so often vaunted as the only solution to a ‘bad guy with a gun’, can become the bad guy - doesn’t that invalidate the NRA’s most frequent and glib argument against gun control?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Even GQ -- through the Guardian (USA) newspaper and its US-based gun policy expert -- has found the truth of things:

What Conservatives Get Right About Guns

1. Banning assault weapons would do almost nothing (only 3.6 percent of America's gun murders are committed with any kind of a rifle). Even the Democratic writers of the 1994 federal assault weapon ban knew it was a largely symbolic policy meant to demonstrate that they were Doing Something Official-Looking.

2. Owning 17 guns isn't really that extreme. Just 3% of American adults own half the country's guns, an average of 17 of them each. "To a non-gun owner, this might sound like a lot. But you have to think of guns as tools: a few different rifles for hunting different kinds of game, plus a shotgun, a handgun or two for self-protection, and some antique guns inherited from your grandfather. It adds up fast.

As one gun rights activist put it, “Why do you need more than one pair of shoes? The truth is, you don’t, but do you want more than one pair of shoes? If you’re going hiking, you don’t want to use that one pair of high heels.”

3. Only a tiny fraction of America's guns are used in crimes. As it turns out, "fewer than 1% of the country's guns are used in recorded crime or violence each year."

4. Gun crime dropped even as Americans bought more firearms. Gun murders have dropped by about 50% since the early 1990s. Over that same time period, Americans bought an estimated 70 million more guns. This doesn't prove that "more guns equal less crime," because the reasons for the spike in murders and then its subsequent decline are complex and the relationship between America's gun ownership and a drop in gun murders is more than just a simple correlation.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
efernand wrote:
Quote:
The only sure fire way of stopping a school shooting is to harden the school and have armed guard(s).

How did that work out in Parkland. They didn't get just any Paul Blart Mall Cop, they hired a deputy sheriff. A LEO. Trained in weapons and tactics. There to defend the innocent.

He rushed to the building where the shots were being fired, then stood outside for 4 minutes, listening to the mayhem ensue. 4 minutes. 4 looooong minutes. But he did take cover and was in a defensive position, in case the shooter came running out with guns blazind. He literally had no impact on what occurred. None.

When I read this, it makes me wonder whether arming the teachers wouldn't be better.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see Lapiere or loesch in that situation....heckuva job nra
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [LorenzoP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
the only point being that a good guy with a gun, or more guns, is all puppy dogs and unicorns

It's every male fantasy to rush in with a gun to save the day.

Even though basic emergency medical training is far more likely to save lives.

I guess it's easier to buy a gun than to learn a real useful skill.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LorenzoP wrote:
the only point being that a good guy with a gun, or more guns, is all puppy dogs and unicorns

You bet. I think your other point is that Hinckley did not use an assault rifle. He did not use an automatic weapon. He did not even use a semi-auto weapon. Hinckley used a 6-shot .22 revolver and was able to fire all 6 rounds in 1.7 seconds. Another fun fact is that Hinckley never hit Reagan with a direct shot. The 6th round ricocheted off the armored limo and struck Reagan.

I'm glad you raised these important points.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [Harbinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
They didn't get just any Paul Blart Mall Cop, they hired a deputy sheriff. A LEO. Trained in weapons and tactics. There to defend the innocent.

Let's be honest about who these guys are. Peterson was hired onto the Sheriff's office in '85. He served 6 years before he was transferred into the school resource officer program in '91. He's been an SRO for the nearly 30 years since. My guess is he was mostly trained for dealing with basic student/school/community liaison issues, and only recently probably started getting refresher training on dealing with active shooter incidents.

He probably didn't take the job looking to be involved in tactical engagements with shooters; in fact he may have moved into SRO specifically to avoid that kind of thing.

I'm not defending his actions in this incident, because he is a sworn law enforcement officer, was armed, and it appears that their policies should have led him to engage with the shooter, but let's not misunderstand this situation as if Peterson was a SWAT guy who was hired specifically to deal with active shooter situations. He was a regular cop who was likely hired to deal with things like pot in school lockers, and fist fights in the cafeteria.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
I'm not defending his actions in this incident, because he is a sworn law enforcement officer, was armed, and it appears that their policies should have led him to engage with the shooter, but let's not misunderstand this situation as if Peterson was a SWAT guy who was hired specifically to deal with active shooter situations. He was a regular cop who was likely hired to deal with things like pot in school lockers, and fist fights in the cafeteria.

Exactly.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm going to assume (for the moment) that there is a sufficient kind and amount of training such that a 'selectable' person off the street could take such training, be a school resource person, and then if a shooting does occur, they would immediately respond in the correct manner.
If the above is true, then Peterson did not receive the sufficient training.
If the above assumption is not true, then armed guards will not work.
Re arming teachers - - - people who want to teach may not fall also fall in the 'selectable' set of people who are capable of being trained as armed guards.
IOW, there's a set of people who want to be teachers, and there's a set of people capable of being trained as effective armed guards - - - is there sufficient overlap of these sets for this plan to work. I doubt it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
IOW, there's a set of people who want to be teachers, and there's a set of people capable of being trained as effective armed guards - - - is there sufficient overlap of these sets for this plan to work. I doubt it.

In general, I doubt it as well.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's an absurd idea on its face. I can't believe it's even being talked about by people in charge of things.

A trained, vetted, armed civilian volunteer program, as I suggested in the OP, is the only avenue worth pursuing, if we're looking to weaponize our schools' defenses without installing police officers everywhere.

It should be a community-based decision, and they should be allowed to choose it, or not.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Feb 23, 18 8:45
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
A trained, vetted, armed civilian volunteer program, as I suggested in the OP, is the only avenue worth pursuing, if we're looking to weaponize our schools' defenses without installing police officers everywhere.

I like this idea. Where I live, there are no professional firefighters, it's 100% volunteer. Those guys take it seriously and train hard with nothing other than perhaps camaraderie and respect from the community to show for their actions. I think a similar idea could be done with civilian defense and crisis response.
Last edited by: 307trout: Feb 23, 18 8:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You mean like a well regulated militia?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:

It should be a community-based decision, and they should be allowed to choose it, or not.

George Zimmerman - these are the kind of folks who would volunteer for this - total nonsense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a reason you know Zimmerman's name.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. Banning assault weapons would do almost nothing (only 3.6 percent of America's gun murders are committed with any kind of a rifle).

I'm sure the families of the 17 people at killed at Parkland, 58 killed in Vegas, and 26 killed in the Texas Church will find solace that their loved ones kind of hit the lottery.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For arguments sake, just pretend you can partially see the future 100 years from now.

You have a 50% chance of either of these next two scenarios occurring and its either #1 or #2:

1. All guns are banned in the USA and life goes on pretty normal and becomes the liberal utopia ya'll want.
2. All guns are banned in the USA and a party takes control of all levels of government and starts to kill civilians that protest, riot........ just don't conform.

This might be a stupid, f'ing example BUT its not out of the realm of possibility.

So back to now, there is a vote to disarm all civilians which would you choose?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [TriFortMill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What makes you think (A) I'm a liberal or (B) I want all guns banned?

I do agree that's a stupid f'ing example though.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure where you were going with that, so feel free to elaborate.

Nn that note, even if we look at just the murder rate, the US is the worst developed country in the world at 4.88/100,000 ranking 126th out of ~200ish countries. Most of West, South, and Northern Europe of murder rates at 1/8th to 1/4th of the US.

You're a smart and honest guy, so I'm genuinely interested in your perspective on this. I'm a gun owner, but have a hard time dismissing those numbers. How do they look if we, say, control for gang violence, poverty, etc.?

Quote:
Firearm related homicides track that way. Overall homicide rates don’t. I don’t understand why we want to divorce methods of homicides from the overall homicide rate. And, why should we disregard blighted urban areas when it comes to firearm deaths? It seems to me that you want to avoid any statistical measures that don’t support your point, which is why you’ve steadfastly neglected to avoid answering why countries with far lower gun ownership rates have higher suicide rates than the US. Also, many want to compare US firearm deaths to developed countries, yet it seems to me that in many ways, the US is more like it’s Western Hemisphere neighbors than it is to Europe. How many European countries are dealing with transnational gangs, like the US is?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 "...........volunteer concealed-carrying local residents providing security at your child's school?"

No, I don't want George Zimmerman patrolling the local school looking for hooded thugs to shoot.

Quote Reply
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [TriFortMill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This might be a stupid, f'ing example BUT its not out of the realm of possibility.

You are half right about that.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
"...........volunteer concealed-carrying local residents providing security at your child's school?"

No, I don't want George Zimmerman patrolling the local school looking for hooded thugs to shoot.

OK, he's off the list. Best I can tell, I think that leaves about 133 million other possible people to choose from. I think we're still good if we need qualified candidates.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like you. You've got good horse sense. We need more people like you making decisions.

Quote Reply
Re: Question for the anti-gun crowd [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
Not sure where you were going with that, so feel free to elaborate.

Nn that note, even if we look at just the murder rate, the US is the worst developed country in the world at 4.88/100,000 ranking 126th out of ~200ish countries. Most of West, South, and Northern Europe of murder rates at 1/8th to 1/4th of the US.

You're a smart and honest guy, so I'm genuinely interested in your perspective on this. I'm a gun owner, but have a hard time dismissing those numbers. How do they look if we, say, control for gang violence, poverty, etc.?

Quote:
Firearm related homicides track that way. Overall homicide rates don’t. I don’t understand why we want to divorce methods of homicides from the overall homicide rate. And, why should we disregard blighted urban areas when it comes to firearm deaths? It seems to me that you want to avoid any statistical measures that don’t support your point, which is why you’ve steadfastly neglected to avoid answering why countries with far lower gun ownership rates have higher suicide rates than the US. Also, many want to compare US firearm deaths to developed countries, yet it seems to me that in many ways, the US is more like it’s Western Hemisphere neighbors than it is to Europe. How many European countries are dealing with transnational gangs, like the US is?

To be honest, I'm not totally sure where I was going with some of that myself... :)

But, if you look at the rest of the discussion between me and oldandslow, he posted a really good link to an article in the Guardian that showed how gun homicides are really quite concentrated in this country: https://www.theguardian.com/...-violence-in-America

The fact is, the majority of gun violence in this country is concentrated in very small areas, even within violence prone cities. Chicago has a horrendous murder problem, but only in small areas; most of the city is quite safe. According to the article 50% of the gun homicides occur in areas with around 25% of the population. I haven't done any checking to see what happens to the US murder rate if you subtract that from the overall, but it has to make a dent.

The other point you bring up is poverty, which I'm sure correlates to gun homicides, but I don't think it's causal. The book "Ghettoside" is very illuminating; a lot of black on black homicide (at least in LA in the time period that was scrutinized) was driven largely by the fact that the vast majority of black on black on homicides went unsolved (due to understaffed and under resourced homicide departments) and unpunished, leading to a cycle of violence as communities determined that if justice was to be done, they had to handle it themselves. This fed on itself as people became increasingly distrustful of police due to their seeming lack of concern of black on black crime, which led to almost no cooperation with police, which led to a further decreased ability to catch perpetrators...a vicious cycle of violence that spiraled out of control.

Interestingly, though, it appears that NYC has hit upon a successful strategy of community policing that aims to build trust between the police and those they serve: https://www.nytimes.com/...city-crime-2017.html (although the article does state that some criminologists don't think that the changes are what's driving the decline). But, for some reason, NYC has drastically reduced the number of murders....286 for 2017, as opposed to 650 for Chicago. Certainly, there is something going on in NYC that perhaps could be replicated in other violence prone communities.

Prev Next