Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Another gaffe by NBC at the Olympics
Quote | Reply
I was completely confused last night after NBC announced Veith the gold medal winner why they cut back to skiing.
This might be my favorite story of the Olympics so far ! The look on Ledecka’s face is awesome.

https://www.cbssports.com/...aela-shiffrins-skis/

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Another gaffe by NBC at the Olympics [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good lord the excuses for calling the gold medal winner too soon are over the top. It's not that unusual for a skier in the 2nd seed to crack the top 5 or win. I'd bet if we looked through the results for the races leading up to the Olympics this season we'd find a few examples of just that scenario.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is the best story of the games so far...she crushed it. No pressure and just skied. They just wanted to move on since Vonn didn't medal and get to figure skating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And in that CBS Sports clip they say she beat out an Australian

Last edited by: J_R: Feb 17, 18 6:48
Quote Reply
Re: Another gaffe by NBC at the Olympics [blueraider_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
blueraider_mike wrote:
This is the best story of the games so far...she crushed it. No pressure and just skied. They just wanted to move on since Vonn didn't medal and get to figure skating.

Also love the fact she was on borrowed skis.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I get that they needed to cut to other programming, you want your primetime filled with the best competition that people will sit down and watch, people don't want to see the 58th best alpine skier finish 2.5 seconds behind first place. Their gaffe here was announcing a WINNER in a competition that still had more skiers.

So whatever, just bad announcing, but if anything it made for a better moment - 'holy shit so we said we had a winner because NO ONE thought anyone had a real shot but check out this snowboarder winning gold by 0.01 seconds using Michaela Shiffrin's skis'...I mean, that's part of why I watch the Olympics, the chance at the remarkable happening and some unknown pulling off the run of a lifetime. Her face after the run said it all, she was totally speechless and shocked at her own performance. AWESOME, AWESOME to watch.

Also, Nathan Chen was great to watch too, dude just laid it all out there with nothing to lose and put down his 'run of a lifetime'. The Japanese guy was great to watch too, he's just such a different level from the other skaters. Good night of programming all around, imo.

Oh, except the women's ski jumping stuff...we had TWO medalists who fell on their 'winning' jumps, and that weird skateboarding-type competition was just dreadful, I'm sorry but that's too fringy to be an Olympic sport, half the women fell on basic stuff, that is just not entertaining at all. There was a total of one clean run, I'm sorry but if there isn't enough talent for clean, high-level runs then it's not worth being an Oly sport.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
blueraider_mike wrote:

Borrow skis is very common on top level.
Quote Reply
Re: Another gaffe by NBC at the Olympics [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
that weird skateboarding-type competition was just dreadful, I'm sorry but that's too fringy to be an Olympic sport, half the women fell on basic stuff, that is just not entertaining at all. There was a total of one clean run, I'm sorry but if there isn't enough talent for clean, high-level runs then it's not worth being an Oly sport.

Slopestyle? From earlier in the week? The wind was strong and gusting, pulling people around in the air (that’s what the BBC was reporting). A lot of the competitors thought it should have been postponed.
Quote Reply
Re: Another gaffe by NBC at the Olympics [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
Brownie28 wrote:
that weird skateboarding-type competition was just dreadful, I'm sorry but that's too fringy to be an Olympic sport, half the women fell on basic stuff, that is just not entertaining at all. There was a total of one clean run, I'm sorry but if there isn't enough talent for clean, high-level runs then it's not worth being an Oly sport.

Slopestyle? From earlier in the week? The wind was strong and gusting, pulling people around in the air (that’s what the BBC was reporting). A lot of the competitors thought it should have been postponed.
It was on last nights primetime telecast, it was a Thursday (South Korea) competition shown last night. Are you thinking about the snowboarding half-pipe? That's what I heard they still ran despite the winds, but last night it didn't look overly windy at all, though I could be mistaken.

Anyone else see it?
Quote Reply
Re: Another gaffe by NBC at the Olympics [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think I saw what your talking about. It’s the event a few of the girls went down in the first rail obstacle right ?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
I think I saw what your talking about. It’s the event a few of the girls went down in the first rail obstacle right ?
Exactly, yes. It probably ran for 30 minutes of the entire telecast last night. Between that and the ski jumping, where almost every woman fell, it was NOT a good night for the ski aerial world, imo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

It's funny that they make it sound like she doesn't even own a pair of skis and won gold!

I am assuming that she has plenty of skis, but Shifrin's were 'better' somehow. Either a better ski, or more likely, just a better tune/wax.
Quote Reply