Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Got my kickr...now what do I need
Quote | Reply
So after 12 years of loving my computrainer I decided to up my game and get a wahoo kickr today.
I love to build courses of upcoming IM's or halfs and ride them for most of my training to get to know them inside and out. I use bestbikesplit if it wasn't a course already on Computrainer to build a course.

So now working with a coach and in the offseason he has me doing 2 power interval based workouts a week along with a longerish ride on the weekend. I've look a little at zwift and trainerroad but not sure what is more to my needs.

So my techy friends steer me in the right direction. I want to be able to do the interval workouts and maybe build them in? Also want to ride upcoming courses and heard there might be apps that would be google maps based to actually see the course?

Also what am I running this off? Ipad 8' or my Ipad pro? Is there a way to use a tv for my screen? What will I need to make this happen?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Got my kickr...now what do I need [iron07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get Trainer Road for structured workouts or Zwift for workouts and riding with people all over the world. You can run either app off an iPad, iPhone, or PC/Mac.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Got my kickr...now what do I need [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about uploading my own course in there (which I can do through my best bike split account) is there a preference of apps?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never done it so hopefully someone can comment who has.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can upload those files directly to the TrainerRoad workout creator. You can also use it to make custom rides without a file if your coach prescribes something else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned above, you can build any workout you want to in Zwift or Trainer road. I got my Kickr about a month ago. It's been amazing! I have my Training Peaks tied to Zwift. Whatever bike workout my coach has on there is automatically on Zwift that day. Freakin' awesome
Quote Reply
Re: Got my kickr...now what do I need [CamCom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Whatever bike workout my coach has on there is automatically on Zwift that day. Freakin' awesome

+1

Great value to get use out of zwift and TP easily.

--
MyGearGarage - Track all your gear!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok the million dollar question then, if I am going to create my own workouts from what my coach gives me and download my own courses into Zwift or TrainerRoad to be able to “preride” race courses, which app do you all prefer? Trainer road or Zwift?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also just got me a 32 in tv for my screen, what do I need if I am using my ipad pro? HDMI cable and some sort of converter for my ipad? I don't want apple tv so I guess I am fine with cables running across the room
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can't really pre-ride courses in Zwift. So I think people are steering you wrong. You can build custom workouts, but they are time/effort based. Basically you can set up a bunch of intervals.

Trainerroad has no graphics either, so you can't really pre-ride a course with this software either.

I think what you want is Kinomap. Where you can find or upload course videos or previous rides and then ride that same course over again for training.
Quote Reply
Re: Got my kickr...now what do I need [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok thanks, someone at the bike shop mentioned Kinomap, I will look into that. I get that trainerroad doesn't have the graphics but I can load the course into there and it will adjust accordingly to hills just as my computrainer did?
Quote Reply
Re: Got my kickr...now what do I need [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
You can't really pre-ride courses in Zwift. So I think people are steering you wrong. You can build custom workouts, but they are time/effort based. Basically you can set up a bunch of intervals.

Trainerroad has no graphics either, so you can't really pre-ride a course with this software either.

I think what you want is Kinomap. Where you can find or upload course videos or previous rides and then ride that same course over again for training.

You absolutely can ride a course on TrainerRoad if you have the course file. Graphics have nothing to do with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both Zwift and TrainerRoad have free trials available.
For Zwift, it is basically one ride - 25km, so use it wisely. Find (or load up) a workout and do part of it. Then, give the free ride a shot and feel how the hills are simulated.
For TR, just ask and someone will offer to send your email a free month. Go crazy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CamCom wrote:
As mentioned above, you can build any workout you want to in Zwift or Trainer road. I got my Kickr about a month ago. It's been amazing! I have my Training Peaks tied to Zwift. Whatever bike workout my coach has on there is automatically on Zwift that day. Freakin' awesome

What I don’t understand is Iif say you load some interval training into Zwift-what happens if your recovery period is while you are riding up a hill in Zwift etc?

Or does it just make you hit say 300 Watts for 5 mins regardless of aether you are riding flat or hill?
Quote Reply
Re: Got my kickr...now what do I need [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In workout-mode you will just get a specific percentage of your FTP. When you ride up a hill the resistance won't change but the speed calculation will be adjusted accordingly.
Quote Reply
Re: Got my kickr...now what do I need [IvarAlmere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IvarAlmere wrote:
In workout-mode you will just get a specific percentage of your FTP. When you ride up a hill the resistance won't change but the speed calculation will be adjusted accordingly.

Ahhhh thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
IvarAlmere wrote:

Ahhhh thanks!

This is only the case if erg mode is selected. There is an option when selecting the workout to turn erg mode off. If erg mode is off, you will ride in slope mode which will control the trainers resistance to match the gradient.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dunno wrote:
CamCom wrote:

What I don’t understand is Iif say you load some interval training into Zwift-what happens if your recovery period is while you are riding up a hill in Zwift etc?

Or does it just make you hit say 300 Watts for 5 mins regardless of aether you are riding flat or hill?

You just go really slow! It's actually pretty funny to see virtual me doing 2 mph up a hill at 150 watts.
Quote Reply