Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Syria, a pubically forgotten key to the Middle East
Quote | Reply
I tried to do a smart reading title, it's ok I guess.

I don't have a lot of back up material etc on this topic, however given some things I have read in the past and how things are going in Iraq and the Middle East (ME), my belief is that Syria is a pubically forgotten key to calming and democratizing the ME.

Right now, the US is somewhat publicly and intensely in private pushing on Syria to move out of Lebanon. As well, we are pushing them to close off their border with Iraq. These two actions are integral to any lasting or increasing stability in the ME, as well as further success in Iraq and the democritization of the ME. If Syria moves out of Lebanon, that will spur further freeing of the political environment there. We will see bolder and faster steps towards a democracy (of some type). A great ancillary benefit to this is it will really piss of Iran, and puts a bit of pressure on them politically within the Muslim world. Iran is pushing hard on Syria to keep control of Lebanon, and there is of course a very strong tie in with Iran in this area with Hezbollah and other fanatical groups.

As to Iraq, closing off the Syrian/Iraqi border will help slow what to this point has been a steady influx of foreign terrorists into the country. Syria is the main border through which terrorists infiltrate Iraq. If it isn't #1, then it is #2 behind Iran. Continuing stabilization of Iraq, a reduction in terrorists and "foreign fighters" will only speed in the ability of the US to begin a staged withdrawal of troops (and keep several of my friends out of harms way).

If you are so inclined, I'd recommend writing your Congressmen/women and push them on continued action between the US and Syria.
Quote Reply
Re: Well, Syria already quit Lebanon. That took [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
place a few months ago. All 14000 troops left.
Quote Reply
Re: Well, Syria already quit Lebanon. That took [Startmeup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could be mistaken, but I don't believe that they have totally left. Nor has the democtratic process made additional serious gains. The initial step was tremendous and a great achievement, but there are more steps to be taken. Syria still has their thumb on Lebanon.

Good to have you over here (again).
Quote Reply
Re: Syria, a pubically forgotten key to the Middle East [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pubically?

(scratching head...)

---
"You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious."

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that might be wrong." -- Richard Feynman
Quote Reply
Re: Syria, a pubically forgotten key to the Middle East [Xenu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My pubes have totally forgotten Syria

I don't get the forgotten line. Syria, Iran and North Korea are the three worst actors still out there. No one has forgotten them.
Quote Reply
Re: Syria, a pubically forgotten key to the Middle East [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't seen too much public (or even pubic) commentary on it recently. No one commenting on those countries in Op-eds or things like that. If you ask the common man on the street, I highly doubt they'd list Syria as a country of concern to America.

Now, maybe there have been news items and I've missed them, but I'm confident Syria isn't on the tip of anyone's tongue.
Quote Reply
Re: Syria, a pubically forgotten key to the Middle East [Tridiot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you ask the common man on the street, I highly doubt they'd list Syria as a country of concern to America.

That might be because Syria does not concern America all that much. Yeah, yeah, they're a "rogue" nation and all, but they don't threaten us much.

Still, events in and involving Syria have actually been widely reported lately. I don't think we've forgotten Syria, either pubically or publicly. ;)

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply