Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: You is where you are [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I live in Douglas, GA, a town of about 15,000 tucked away in the flatlands of south Georgia. I'm about 100 miles north of Jacksonville, FL, and 180 miles south of Atlanta. I was born and raised here, and I don't plan on moving. I have traveled a bit, and I've seen enough of the world to know that there is no better place anywhere than south Georgia. I have access to hundreds of miles of great cycling routes, and lots of great races can be found within driving distance from my home (from everything from sprint to iron distance races). The weather is great -- sometimes a little too warm in the summer and too cool in the winter, but a nice compromise. I'm in short sleeves right now, and I'm planning an afternoon ride after work. I should be able to wear shorts and a short sleeved jersey, maybe with arm warmers and light gloves. My whole family is here, I've got roots in my community, it's just a great place to live. We are gloriously unsophisticated, maybe a little tacky even. Yeah, my neck is little red. Want to make something of it?

My home is located about 5 miles southwest of town, in a neighborhood that includes a five mile main loop and three lakes. I can ride, run and open water swim literally right out of my front door. We have a local junior college in town, which just added a multi-million dollar indoor pool and athletic complex. It opens to the public in five days, so now I'll be able to swim year round. Two universities are located within two hours of here (one a mere 60 miles away), and we have a surprising number of job opportunities for a rural area.

I have considered moving before. I'm particularly fond of the Jacksonville area, and Texas is pretty nice. So are the north Georgia mountains. But all in all, I'm very pleased with where I live. I'd like to have a tri specific shop a little closer to the house and maybe a few more hills, but those aren't big deals. This really is a great place to live. Except for just a few weeks, I can ride outside comfortably year 'round, it doesn't snow, and triathlons start in March and go until November. And of course the beloved Bulldogs play a mere three hours from home.

I'm pretty happy with south Georgia. Go 'Dawgs.

RP
Quote Reply

Prev Next