Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

which components to change first?
Quote | Reply
I have a road bike that I would like to slowly upgrade (in terms of components, Shimano) since I am thinking about doing some road racing this year. If you were going to phase out old components to bring in new (to me) ones, which order would you follow?

Thanks, Justin D
Quote Reply
Re: which components to change first? [Justin D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In order

brakes
handlebar tape
saddle
shoes
pedals
handlebars
wheels
things that go shift
seat post
stem
paint

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you now? 7 speed and downtube shifters? Ultegra?

Assuming you are at 105 or Ultegra 9 speed and are looking to lighten/strengthen your bike with some Dura-Ace, I'd say go with the STI levers first, they will have the biggest effect on 'feel'. A DA cassette and chain is an inexpensive upgrade and will save some weight. I believe the DA cranks and BB save a fair bit of weight over Ultegra. I don't think the dearaileurs are that different, but do the rear before the front, or maybe do the brake calipers before either, check the weights.

You can probably get a pretty smoking deal on a 9 speed DA upgrade kit right now, so you could do it all at once relatively cheaply.

If you are talking other parts, like carbon bars, seatposts, and cranks. Some are more expensive than others, and a lot depends on what you are looking for. I like the FSA cranks, but their benefit is debatable. You can drop a lot of cash on some ultra light carbon bars and only gain some grams and great looks.
Quote Reply
Re: which components to change first? [efernand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Things that rotate should get changed first. Rotating weight weigs 2.5x more than static weight.
Wheels, cassettes, chain, chain rings, pedals, shoes. If it goes round and round change it. I'd change shift levers somewhere in the round and round change over b/c you can drop a big chunk of weight there. Move on to the R. derailleur, brake calipers and front derailluer. Sell the old stuff as you go to reduce the cost. I switched from Ultegra to DA on my TT bike for less than $600, including carbon cranks.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Justin D,

Some good info on this thread. One thing I might add is that you may be well served to do a quick cost analysis of how much this upgrade is going to cost when it is complete. Compare that total cost to the price of a new bike. I know that may sound absurd at first, but things have way of adding up. Before you plunk down the cash on $1000 worth of parts you may consider what you could get complete for $1500 if that is in the cards for you.

I own a bike shop and I know I make more money off a guy upgrading components on an old bike than just selling hima new one.

My .02 cents.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply