Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anybody play banjo?
Quote | Reply
Any of you play banjo? Hard to learn? Did you take lessons? Just pick at it? What’s a decent starter to pick up?

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody play banjo? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the one that is on amazon with the pretty wood. It sounds great. I learned 2 rolls and I can impress my friends. I have zero idea what I am doing but it is sure fun. I started with finger picks but now just use fingers. Buy one and have fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would suggest you watch Deliverance before picking up the banjo.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody play banjo? [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Skin like a hog
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody play banjo? [chuckhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Playing banjo is a blast, and doesn't have to be expensive. There are a TON of videos available on youtube with people teaching all kinds of banjo basics. Before you buy a banjo, you kind of need to decide whether you want to play bluegrass style (fast picking Earl Scruggs Foggy Mtn Breakdown style) or more of a folksy clawhammer-frailing style. I myself starting out thinking I wanted to be a bluegrass type and ended up getting seduced by the clawhammer technique. Google both of those styles and you'll get an idea of the difference. Usually a bluegrass banjo has a wooden resonator on the back and the tone is more bright and sustained, while a clawhammer style banjo has an open back and the tone tends to be more muted and sort of plunky. As far as getting started with an instrument, you can get a very serviceable open back for as little as a couple hundred dollars, while a bluegrass banjo that you'd want to keep for a while would be more like four to five hundred. I would go to musiciansfriend.com and take a look at the Gold Tone banjos to get an idea of cost. Gold Tone has done a good job of recreating some of the classic banjos of the past.
Quote Reply
Re: Anybody play banjo? [BanjoGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great information. I'd like to learn banjo someday myself.

Have you just been waiting for something like this to pop up?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! Quite the appropriate name... I’ll likely be looking for a used one at first.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Believe it or not, Guy is actually my first name. And I didn't want to be TriGuy or whatever since I'm an even worse triathlete than banjo player. I mostly play on sunday afternoons for the grandkids, but I've been a recording engineer/producer for the last forty years and so have been around a lot of good players in both styles. Now is a great time to learn, because there a so many free resources online.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a banjo once, then could not get rid of it. So I parked the convertible top down and banjo clearly on back seat - came back a few hours later and there was now 3 banjos on back seat.
There's a neat banjo museum in Oklahoma City - they check your bags for banjos on your way in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cant add a whole lot, but listen to the band Trampled by Turtles. They have an awesome banjo player.
Quote Reply