Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [Brownie28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brownie28 wrote:
Brian in MA wrote:
Yup, I did the same from age 10-13 lugging both the morning and evening Boston Globe as well as the Sunday edition. The daily route during the week was easy enough to do on foot or bike with the huge ink-stained canvas bag slung over my shoulder. Sunday route was much bigger and required my mom or an unlucky (and likely hungover) older sibling to drive the family station wagon with the back section full of papers.

Right there with you. Delivered the Globe for six or seven years, I used to love doing the route, I'd time myself and try to beat my best time every day - I wasn't competitive at all :) Flinging rubber bands at my sisters, getting down early on Christmas morning to sneak a peak at presents before delivery (no idea why the paper ran that day, but it did, at least a few years I can imagine)

It also started me down all my injury issues, strangely enough. My dad would drive myself and two sisters who also had routes around the neighborhood in our mini van for the big Sunday papers. One fateful day when I was 13 I was in the back grabbing some papers, started backing out of the door and my dad thought I had already gotten out. I fell, left leg wound up getting run over. Stuck in a cast for 3 months and no rehab afterward, and ever since then my left ankle has almost no flexion, hip is rigid because of it and my right side takes the brunt, two hip surgeries already.

Yay paper route!

Good Lord, dude. My sympathies!

The worst thing that ever happened to me doing my paper route was I got chased on occasion by one of my customer's dogs. But a quick jump up on the roof of a parked car and a short wait while the dog trotted off and I was good to go.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
who will do the book lists for bestsellers?!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
I said the paper would be gone, not the digital version. I provided a link to interview with the CEO.

Come on now, own it. The subject line says the "NY Times will be gone in 10 years" and "demise of the paper" sure sounds like it refers to the entire NY Times, not just the choosing to cease production of a print version.
Quote Reply
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
H- wrote:

I said the paper would be gone, not the digital version. I provided a link to interview with the CEO.

Come on now, own it. The subject line says the "NY Times will be gone in 10 years" and "demise of the paper" sure sounds like it refers to the entire NY Times, not just the choosing to cease production of a print version.

I specifically said "paper." Besides you are saying you read all the information I provided and got the whole story? You are welcome.

If my headline or lead was a bit deceptive, that is just journalism.

Though I suppose confessing to journalistic practices is "owning it." ;)

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: NY Times will be gone in 10 years. [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
H- wrote:

And I had to take an a$$-whupping from Ken over the OP, too! LOL!

FWIW, I like the Times' non-editorial stuff and I don't see them going anywhere except to an all-digital format. Like their CEO said, you don't make as much money from the digital product (at least not yet), but you can gain a lot more subscribers so it may wash out in the end. Technology will definitely have its say, though.

The other question is; what do you do with all the production and delivery types (as well as the excess in the newsroom)? You don't need nearly as many people when you're doing a digital paper, that's for sure.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply

Prev Next