Re: Michelle Obama's portrait [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kill whitey?
Quote Reply
Re: Michelle Obama's portrait [Sausagetail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sausagetail wrote:
Kill whitey?

More like "Kill all white women." But the painter who did those as well as the Obama portraits is an artiste, you pleb! She should be celebrated for the obvious brilliance! ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Last edited by: big kahuna: Feb 13, 18 15:34
Quote Reply
Re: Michelle Obama's portrait [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She's a he and yes, he's explictly said that that painting is "about the kill whitey thing" (not exactly the most eloquent manifesto but it sure is a striking picture)

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Michelle Obama's portrait [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
She's a he and yes, he's explictly said that that painting is "about the kill whitey thing" (not exactly the most eloquent manifesto but it sure is a striking picture)

Yes, he's a he. And sometimes "art" is just stupid and stupidly done. Both factors appertain in the case of his Obama portraits as well as the decapitated white women thing.

Modern Art. Well, at least it's modern, that much we're sure of.

Eh, I've seen velvet Elvises at various flea markets that were done with better skill and emotional content. Maybe he should study the masterpieces produced by the poker playing dogs painter? LOL!

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Michelle Obama's portrait [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Bretom wrote:
Well what do you mean by "formal portrait"?

It's not a term that has a broadly accepted meaning so you'll have to elaborate what it means to you and then we can discuss whether the rules you've identified should be guidelines that bind presidents and the artists they select.

By formal portrait, I mean that most (basically all) of the previous portraits of living Presidents or First Ladies attempted to portray realistic looking images of the subjects, typically in the context of the office/position they held. Neither of the Obamas’ paintings would fit that model.

Leave off the snark. You sound like an ass.

What snark? Serious question serious answer. If my emphasis irked you there's not much I can do about that - my point is that people's objections to this portrait (quality aside) seem to shift:
- it's not an appropriate presidential portrait!
What's an appropriate presidential portrait?
- well, it should be a formal portrait of course!
What's a formal portrait?
- a portrait that looks like what I think a presidential portrait should look like!

With your last post you effectively back filled some criteria but I'm not sure they hold up. Very few of the "traditional" portraits give any indication of the subject's office (GWB and Clinton are obvious exceptions and there are probably 5 others with hints but that's it). Several of the backgrounds are made-up / composite views of Washington (Truman, Harding especially) so the idea of using fantastic elements to speak to the subject's life is hardly new - to presidential portraits let alone portraits more generally. Arthur's has an entirely made-up vaguely Hellenic background and (and this doesn't appear in the online versions) had a fallen rosebud at his feet which was a joke on the part of the artist about the president's apparent devotion to high society.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You friggin' luddite!

big kahuna wrote:
Let me say this up front: I am not an art aficionado. I believe that paintings and that sort of similar art reached its peak with the Renaissance masters. Everything after that is just weak sauce, and I include Van Gogh and his contemporaries in that estimation. So take my opinion about the former First Couple's portraits with a healthy and hefty dose of salt.
Quote Reply
Re: Michelle Obama's portrait [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe that this one says, "Justin Bieber sucks" and conveys a message of what we'd all like to see happen to his "music" catalog. The executioner in this painting is a feminine hero and should be elevated to sainthood.

rick_pcfl wrote:
Since you are showing the artist's previous works. Here is one from Pres. Obama's chosen artist.

What statement is he making with this one?

Quote Reply
Re: Michelle Obama's portrait [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
What snark?

The snark you've been throwing at anyone who displayed any criticism of these portraits the entire thread. Don't play dumb.

You'd have to be trying really damn hard not to see the obvious disparity between the Obamas' portraits and basically all of the ones that preceded them. The artists were specifically chosen because of their political and artistic styles.

In my opinion, the idea of these portraits is to create historical memorials to the subjects of the paintings to preserve their likenesses and legacies for future memory. The purpose is not to give artists an opportunity to make artistic or ideological statements. There's nothing at all wrong with artists doing that, but I would say that Presidential portraiture isn't the place for it.

Of course, this is personal opinion, as is most discussion about artistic endeavor.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why is this just now occurring to me. Surely someone has noticed this already. B.Obama appears to be surrounded by -- or stuck in, what? A bush, or bushes. Is the message, "I could had done so much more if not for the plate handed to me by Bush."

Or more succinctly, the portrait is saying, "BUT BUSH."

Always blaming someone else.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Michelle Obama's portrait [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
H- wrote:
Why is this just now occurring to me. Surely someone has noticed this already. B.Obama appears to be surrounded by -- or stuck in, what? A bush, or bushes. Is the message, "I could had done so much more if not for the plate handed to me by Bush."

Or more succinctly, the portrait is saying, "BUT BUSH."

Always blaming someone else.

Quote Reply
Re: Michelle Obama's portrait [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply

Prev Next