Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Hey BK, What's up in Bayview, MI?
Quote | Reply
Michigan town where only Christians are allowed to buy houses
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/09/christians-only-town-bay-view-michigan
Quote Reply
Re: Hey BK, What's up in Bayview, MI? [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bit like Ocean Grove on the NJ Shore, where you're supposed to be a Methodist. When my Jewish friend bought there, he told me he even had to lie on one of the documents to say he was a Methodist.

You also can't go on the beach on Sunday mornings because you should be in church!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't worry about freedom of religion, I want more freedom FROM religion.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/feb/09/christians-only-town-bay-view-michigan

No idea. Never even heard of the town until you brought it up. You damn godless commie. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Hey BK, What's up in Bayview, MI? [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kay Serrar wrote:
A bit like Ocean Grove on the NJ Shore, where you're supposed to be a Methodist. When my Jewish friend bought there, he told me he even had to lie on one of the documents to say he was a Methodist.

You also can't go on the beach on Sunday mornings because you should be in church!

I thought it was great they lost some tax exempt status for the pavillion and everything after refusing to allow the lesbian civil union there. And their federal lawsuit was thrown out. I avoid that town...reminds me of a cult.

Quote Reply
Re: Hey BK, What's up in Bayview, MI? [Tatonka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tatonka wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

I thought it was great they lost some tax exempt status for the pavillion and everything after refusing to allow the lesbian civil union there. And their federal lawsuit was thrown out. I avoid that town...reminds me of a cult.

So the lesbis couldn't find any other place to get married? Sounds like they were trying to pick a fight to me. But I suppose we're all going to be made to care about who's marrying whom. And to celebrate their choices as well, instead of me just minding my business and you just minding yours. But on the bright side, I'm sure they had no problem finding someone to bake them a cake. ;-)

That's why government needs to get out of the marriage business -- and the cake making business -- altogether. It's stupid.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say we give away land to all the conservative evangelicals that do not be in climate change....I would suggest south Florida and the Gulf Coast around New Orleans...

Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
Tatonka wrote:
Kay Serrar wrote:

So the lesbis couldn't find any other place to get married? Sounds like they were trying to pick a fight to me. But I suppose we're all going to be made to care about who's marrying whom. And to celebrate their choices as well, instead of me just minding my business and you just minding yours. But on the bright side, I'm sure they had no problem finding someone to bake them a cake. ;-)

That's why government needs to get out of the marriage business -- and the cake making business -- altogether. It's stupid.

Perhaps they did pick a fight, which I am usually against.. but this one I'm fine with. They weren't tax exempt for religious reasons, they were tax exempt because they had designated the boardwalk/pavillion/beach public access/public highway. Then denied tax paying citizens use of it. That I enjoy.

I definitely don't want government cakes. They'll probably come in an MRE bag, be behind schedule, and over budget.

Quote Reply
Re: Hey BK, What's up in Bayview, MI? [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
oldandslow wrote:

No idea. Never even heard of the town until you brought it up. You damn godless commie. ;-)

BK, I thought you spent most your life in Michigan? You haven't heard of Bay View, you must never have gotten up north. its on the coast next to Petosky

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stayed at a B and B there during fall leaf season about 15 years ago. Had no idea it was a Methodist cult town till we went for some walks. Very pretty.

I was raised Methodist so I fit right in. At that time of year it seemed deserted.
Quote Reply