Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone school me on plaster ceiling repair
Quote | Reply
I would normally have a pro do this but I am updating an old den or study for Kids play room. Long term plan is this will eventually become part of the kitchen. So I am trying to do this on a small budget. Plus I kind of want to try it.

My dilemma , I removed an old recessed light fixture. The fixture fit snugly in between the joist and was framed in on both ends. I had trouble getting the drywall close to flush with the ceiling and ended up framing the opening to hold the piece. One corner kept coming up shallow. Not sure what I screwed up but I thought when I put up the framing it looked good put now that the opening is closed that corner is a good quarter in or so deep.
Looking through videos and such on line it seems I should tape it as is and start adding mud making sure to get some behind the tape ? It almost seems like it would be better to build that corner up with some thin coats. I feel like taping it up as is and trying to go over it will just lead to more problems ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone school me on plaster ceiling repair [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Take the drywall down, throw a shim in there, and rehang.
And/or..
Don't use paper tape, use the blue mesh tape from Homer's Depot. You can build up w/ joint compound, within reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use con-fill to fill in the void and level it out (without tape). You can probably do it in one coat. It won't shrink or crack. Once that dries, you can tape, and mud as per usual.

Tip for drywalling: don't mess too much with each coat. First coat is just to embed the tape. Strike off what's left -once- and leave it. You'll knock off the dried bumps and ridges before your next coat. Same with the second coat: feather it out with a thin coat and leave it, scrape the bumps off again after it dries.

Most beginners keep going over the patch a dozen times trying to make each coat perfect.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone school me on plaster ceiling repair [spookini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m not sure I could shim it. My trouble was if I got the corner flush about 12” s up would be high. Something weird is going on in the corner.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone school me on plaster ceiling repair [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, that sounds like what I’m looking for. I was concerned trying to build up that corner and have it crack later. The little experience I have with this and the videos I watched all stressed what you advised with thin coats.

The other thing I’m not sure about is the ceiling is textured. My original plan was to sand ceiling smooth. Even with 60 grit I can’t put a dent in it. It’s not a popcorn ceiling , more like little dots. Can I feather out over that around the tape ?

This is what it looks like

Last edited by: Leddy: Feb 8, 18 18:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone school me on plaster ceiling repair [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Plus who doesn’t like popcorn !

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old is your house? I'd be careful with that texture... could have asbestos in it.

If that's not a concern, I would try to scrape off that texture. Taping and filling over that will result in a noticeable hump in the ceiling. Will moistening it help? Is it actual plaster ceiling or drywall? If possible, scrap away texture around 16-20" around the patched area, which will give you enough room to feather out a decent patch. Once you've done that, then re-apply texture, slightly overlapping the textures so there's no hard line where the old meets new.

Quote Reply
Re: Anyone school me on plaster ceiling repair [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now that is funny!!!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1955 I think. I was worried about that but it looks like sheet rock with a layer of plaster ? There isn’t any lathe or wire underneath. There’s a chance this room was renovated at some point. The insulation over the bay window is in pretty good shape. It still looks full and the paper backing is still in tact.

I’ve been wearing a respirator and trying to contain the dust as much as possible in the room.

I haven’t tried wetting it but sanding and scraping hasn’t knocked it down at all

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might want to get it tested. Asbestos, if present, is in the plaster top coat and texture layers. It doesn't really matter if there is wood or wire lathe or drywall. My house is 1958, and has the 12" strips of 3/8" drywall with 3/8" of plaster over top as well, as was common in that day. We tested and were negative, but I've renovated other houses from this time period that were positive. Testing here is pretty reasonable at $40 if you take the samples in yourself. I guess if you've already taken a sander to it it's kind of pointless to do so now, though :-).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the damage is done. I already cut holes for high hats. But now I’m a little freaked out again. I tried to manage dust as best as possible. Room closed off and ventilated with fan blowing out windows. Cleaned up dust as I went best I could. I just scrubbed everything down again.

I hanging my hat right now on I had a crew do a bunch of work when we moved in. I trust the guy whose company it is and he does a lot of work in old houses. I’m hoping he would’ve tested and told me if there was asbestos. I thought I asked him about that cause I do worry about it. But now I’m doubting myself.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Use con-fill to fill in the void

Apparently only available in Canada. After my daily trip to a hard ware or if you prefer home improvement store and about an hour searching online I realized not for sale here. Boo

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
I think the damage is done. I already cut holes for high hats. But now I’m a little freaked out again. I tried to manage dust as best as possible. Room closed off and ventilated with fan blowing out windows. Cleaned up dust as I went best I could. I just scrubbed everything down again.

I hanging my hat right now on I had a crew do a bunch of work when we moved in. I trust the guy whose company it is and he does a lot of work in old houses. I’m hoping he would’ve tested and told me if there was asbestos. I thought I asked him about that cause I do worry about it. But now I’m doubting myself.

Here's the thing: with one room of ceiling, if there is asbestos, there won't be enough to cause concern. It is best to take precautions, but don't fret over this too much.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone school me on plaster ceiling repair [Bumble Bee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I came down off the proverbial ledge a little while ago. I do worry about it but more for my kids in the house. No guarantee but I chewed it over for awhile and I’m pretty sure a couple different people tested along the way. Plus I moved to this house from not far away. Those house were built in the same time and I don’t ever remeber anyone mentioning asbestos outside of exterior shingles.

In regards to asbestos exposure. I would have been 3 or 4th gen plumber had I gone into the family business. My older brothers and sister have told me stories of going to work in the city with my dad back in the 70’s. He would give them large plumbing wrench’s and tell them to “make it snow”. Which was banging asbestos insulation off pipes. Scary.

Quote Reply