Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [esox.flucius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
updated my earlier post
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [1415chris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bro, great to hear that everything fit up so nicely for you. However, we, (and all the other tubeless tape makers) strongly recommend 2 wraps of tape for road pressures.. the tapes are very strong, but once you factor in the potential for heat, the benefit of 2 wraps far outweighs the penalty (about 5-6 grams..)

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [Bru] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Bru,

Appreciate the update. Will be interesting to know how real world riding goes. I can struggle with getting tyres on, but don't find the Conti SS(20mm) too difficult (the old style SS), I'd want to use levers definitely in a race for speed. The Trispoke is an old version though.

Thinking of puttIng got some sealant in the tubes for iron-distance racing, got a bunch of Bontrager SLR for that arrive today.
Quote Reply
Re: Which brand of Latex tubes? [esox.flucius] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got my first set of latex tubes installed a few days ago. Silca / Vittoria with 2 wraps of Silca Tape . 2 thoughts so far.

#1) mounting the tire. My wheel tire combo is probably on the easier side in terms of mounting but nonetheless the latex tubes were hardly any more difficult than butyl. I just did a thorough bead check with only a few PSI all the way around pushing the tire off of the bead to see if there was any pinched latex.

#2) loss of air. As far as I can see they aren't losing any more air than a butyl tire. I read somewhere up to 1 PSI per hour. No way in my experience so far. As the tube ages we shall see but right now they seem rock solid in holding air.

I have to say talking to almost anyone in a shop in the industry they were completely reluctant to offer even a scrap of advice. They mostly just told me all the bad things. I felt like there were lawyers hovering over every conversation.

Reminds me the movie Fight Club....

The first rule of latex tubes is: you do not talk about latex tubes

Looking forward to my first race with these things especially since I have Best Bike Split set up pretty accurately but without latex so if everything goes according to plan I hope to get a measurable boost over 180KM. If I end up flatting thats fine, but I know it's going to have nothing to do with choosing latex.

Thanks to all who added to this thread, especially Thomas Gerlach.
Last edited by: TravelingTri: Apr 26, 18 1:09
Quote Reply

Prev Next