Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A statistic that's starting to get on my nerves...
Quote | Reply
The number of American deaths due to terrorism*:

*Since 9/11

Edit: I guess it's because the stat is always being used to suggest we are overreacting to the terrorism threat.
Last edited by: SH: Feb 6, 18 13:20
Quote Reply
Re: A statistic that's starting to get on my nerves... [SH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think its because thats when it was put into most peoples minds, not because its a dishonest tactic.

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just finished the movie "Only the Brave" about the Granite Mountain Hot Shots. 19 wildfire fighters lost their lives. The ending scroll said it was the largest loss of fire fighters since 9/11. Didn't get on my nerves, but, struck a cord with me for some reason. Great movie. I balled like a baby.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:

*Since 9/11

Edit: I guess it's because the stat is always being used to suggest we are overreacting to the terrorism threat.

Or is it because other than 9/11/2001 there have been exceptionally few deaths by foreign born terroristsl before or after? As in 41 in 40 years except for that day.

And yes, we have overreacted to the threat of terrorism. More people die from lightning every single year than all foreign born terrorist attacks combined for 40 years, excepting 9/11/2001.

According to a September 2016 study by Alex Nowrasteh at the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank, some 3,024 Americans died from 1975 through 2015 due to foreign-born terrorism. That number includes the 9/11 terrorist attacks (2,983 people) and averages nearly 74 Americans per year.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:

*Since 9/11

You don't think "you" are overreacting?
Quote Reply
Re: A statistic that's starting to get on my nerves... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:

According to a September 2016 study by Alex Nowrasteh at the Cato Institute, a libertarian think tank, some 3,024 Americans died from 1975 through 2015 due to foreign-born terrorism. That number includes the 9/11 terrorist attacks (2,983 people) and averages nearly 74 Americans per year.

Nothing dishonest about that stat at all...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

That is kind of obvious though.

Governments prey on that fear to get votes. That's how it is with illegal immigration, terrorism and crime in general. The more governments can make people feel dependent on government for their own safety, the better it is for the party in power.

Quote Reply
Re: A statistic that's starting to get on my nerves... [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
j p o wrote:

Last edited by: wimsey: Feb 7, 18 7:04
Quote Reply
Re: A statistic that's starting to get on my nerves... [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
SH wrote:

*Since 9/11

Or is it because other than 9/11/2001 there have been exceptionally few deaths by foreign born terroristsl before or after? As in 41 in 40 years except for that day.

And yes, we have overreacted to the threat of terrorism. More people die from lightning every single year than all foreign born terrorist attacks combined for 40 years, excepting 9/11/2001.

I wonder if there is anyway to calculate how much we have spent in response to 9/11 vs. what it cost to run the operation?

I can only imagine if they ever pull off another large scale attack or detonate a dirty bomb or chemical attack in a big U.S. city.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Stats are fun!

If Americans really wanted to curb early, unwanted and unexpected deaths, they could/should do something about how people drive their motor vehicles, or how they eat, and deal with personal health, and last but certainly not least, and always controversial, somehow reduce the numbers of guns, and who has access to them.

The total number of deaths in all of the above each year, is massive, but you'll not here anyone putting forward substantial changes, that would actually bring those numbers down! But it's all low-hanging fruit - small changes with all three, could, if implemented REALLY bring down death rates. But it will never happen!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank goodness. I guess what happened in Vegas didn't count. (Stayed in Vegas)
Quote Reply
Re: A statistic that's starting to get on my nerves... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
always controversial, somehow reduce the numbers of guns, and who has access to them.

True, but unfortunately the answer is young black men in gangs. And going out and targeting them in an effort to reduce the number of illegal guns on the street is racist.

Gun murders in the US is very concentrated geographically and demographically.

The US doesn't have a gun problem, it has a gang and drug related crime problem in small pockets of urban areas
Quote Reply
Re: A statistic that's starting to get on my nerves... [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

That is kind of obvious though.

Governments prey on that fear to get votes. That's how it is with illegal immigration, terrorism and crime in general. The more governments can make people feel dependent on government for their own safety, the better it is for the party in power.

Let's just assume that it is obvious, even though that is not the case. Does that mean ANY argument we use is a good argument? Answer: no. That's my point.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
j p o wrote:

Yes. JPO agrees with me because he ended up using a statistic with the 9/11 terror attacks included instead of excluded.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
BLeP wrote:
j p o wrote:

Yes. JPO agrees with me because he ended up using a statistic with the 9/11 terror attacks included instead of excluded.

In 2001 alone 8.2 people were killed every day by foreign born terrorists. That's fucking insane. 2001 was a horrible year, it's amazing that anyone left their house, ever again.

Quote Reply
Re: A statistic that's starting to get on my nerves... [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

Stats are fun!

If Americans really wanted to curb early, unwanted and unexpected deaths, they could/should do something about how people drive their motor vehicles, or how they eat, and deal with personal health, and last but certainly not least, and always controversial, somehow reduce the numbers of guns, and who has access to them.

The total number of deaths in all of the above each year, is massive, but you'll not here anyone putting forward substantial changes, that would actually bring those numbers down! But it's all low-hanging fruit - small changes with all three, could, if implemented REALLY bring down death rates. But it will never happen!

Your post reminded me of this funny skit. Thank you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
SH wrote:
BLeP wrote:
j p o wrote:

In 2001 alone 8.2 people were killed every day by foreign born terrorists. That's fucking insane. 2001 was a horrible year, it's amazing that anyone left their house, ever again.

Have you left your house in the last 17 years?
Last edited by: SH: Feb 7, 18 8:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't live in the US. Foreign born terrorists aren't killing 74 Canadians every year.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
I don't live in the US. Foreign born terrorists aren't killing 74 Canadians every year.
You didn't answer the question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
BLeP wrote:
j p o wrote:

I may or may not agree with you. As I am not sure what you're driving at.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Last edited by: j p o: Feb 7, 18 9:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SH wrote:
BLeP wrote:

You didn't answer the question.

I certainly did. You just don't like my answer.

Quote Reply