Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ethiopia and Eritrea - Round 2?
Quote | Reply
I wonder if this is a prelude of things to come, and if we will sit back and watch.

http://www.cnn.com/...trea.reut/index.html

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Ethiopia and Eritrea - Round 2? [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder if this is a prelude of things to come

I don't know. Maybe.

if we will sit back and watch.

Why wouldn't we?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: Ethiopia and Eritrea - Round 2? [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why wouldn't we?

In 1998-2000 we sat back and watched 80,000 people die. We watched hundreds of thousands die in Rwanda, Sudan and other places in Africa but when there are problems in other areas of the world, we appear more willing to help (ie. Iraq).

I'm just wondering if this will continue.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you see this as a genocide waiting to break out at any moment, or as a war between two sovereign nations over a border dispute?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you see this as a genocide waiting to break out at any moment, or as a war between two sovereign nations over a border dispute?

I fail to see why we will sit back and let 2 sovereign nations fight (which if History in Africa is any indicator has a high probability of escalating into a genocide) while we refuse to leave another sovereign nation after they have a duly elected parliament, after today (ie. Iraq).

If we are going to be consistent and allow the "war" to take place, we should consider pulling out of Iraq to allow them the chance to settle their differences.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fail to see why we will sit back and let 2 sovereign nations fight <> while we refuse to leave another sovereign nation after they have a duly elected parliament, after today (ie. Iraq).

In the first place, you kind of forgot that the sovereign government in Iraq has not asked us to leave. If they do, we should.

In the second place, that's a pretty lame argument. If, suppose, we continue an occupation in Iraq against the wishes of its lawful government, we all of a sudden have the authority to intervene in any other affair between two other sovereign nations?

Are you going to argue that the US has, or should have, the authority to intervene in any situation it wants? I guess there are no other sovereign nations besides us, seeing as how we're so powerful, and all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the first place, you kind of forgot that the sovereign government in Iraq has not asked us to leave. If they do, we should.

They never asked us to come either, so I'm not sure we'd listen either way, but point taken.

If, suppose, we continue an occupation in Iraq against the wishes of its lawful government, we all of a sudden have the authority to intervene in any other affair between two other sovereign nations?

No, but my point is how are we choosing the countries we are going to occupy without their authority and why, those countries never include Africa.

Are you going to argue that the US has, or should have, the authority to intervene in any situation it wants?

Again, we never had the "authority" to go to Iraq, so how are we deciding which ones to go to. I am also not pointing the finger at the U.S because the UN is there and have asked Canadian, American and other countries to leave.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my point is how are we choosing the countries we are going to occupy without their authority and why, those countries never include Africa.

If you're asking me to defend our invasion of Iraq, I think you have me confused with someone else. If you're trying to argue that we have an obligation to occupy two other nations to prevent them from going to war because we invaded Iraq, I think you're barking up the wrong tree.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"India and Jordan are the main contributors to the 3,300-strong peacekeeping mission."

Interesting.

I wager the indigenous population is not too happy with this arrangement for a long list of reasons. And the enormous gray area that is the Ethiopian border is a blank canvas on which disaster can be painted.

Ominous indeed.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
no oil = no US interest = sit back and watch

====================================

Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away.
Quote Reply
Re: Ethiopia and Eritrea - Round 2? [monterey411] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no oil = no US interest = sit back and watch

I think we have a winner.

Quote Reply