Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No three loop course here, no finisher's medals either. Going Long in the Okanagan [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love this course. In fact, yesterday I did my "Super Bowl Sunday crazy ride" . 6 hours on the Computrainer IM Canada (Penticton) course. I miss the 2 passes and the Seven "bitches". Flew out this past year for the ITU LC World's and enjoyed Penticton more then ever. Was happy to try several of the new wineries as well.
I may just fly out from New Jersey for this if it fits into my schedule.
Quote Reply
Re: No three loop course here, no finisher's medals either. Going Long in the Okanagan [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just like the good ole days everyone should start the bike together and work as a peloton to Osoyoos.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just moved to Lake Country....did IMC 2010....love that course.. Last weekend in Aug...hmmm...a week after the Apple....I'm old and slow but just might give it a go!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to participate. I expect to be able to bring at least one volunteer.

Mr. Hydosloth, do you think your graphic artist-daughter would be willing to produce an "IronSoul 2018" Race-Poster? I haven't got a poster from Penticton since Challenge '14, and I sure do miss the posters.

Thanks for arranging this!
Quote Reply
Re: No three loop course here, no finisher's medals either. Going Long in the Okanagan [BackSlash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No finisher's t-shirts, but I will have some off-white cheap polyester t-shirts that I found at Winners for $1.49. We can decorate them with some used Crayolas at Salty's after we are done!

In all seriousness, it's great to hear you are in, and also gratifying to see how much on-course support for our "Log-Training-Day-It-Is-NOT-A-Race-In-The-South-Okanagan-The-Last-Sunday-In-August" is getting.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is awesome! ive already got too many things planned for the summer so i'm out - but i wish you best of luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following - Great leadership!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm nearby the course and used to train many times on the bike/run course, so am interested and supportive of this big day workout. I may try to convince one of the former winners to participate, although not sure he (or even I for that matter) can spare a full day of running around and away from the families. A bit intimidated of the run as don't want to trash myself if I do a fall marathon/trail race but maybe it can serve as base training if I throw in a bunch of walking on the run course (wouldn't be an irondistance event if there wasnt a bunch of walking right?). Great initiative and echo the caution and emphasis around being respectful on the roads as this is an unofficial event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not trying to hijack the thread, but we did a similar event in Hawaii in 1985, same date as the original, same course, same rules, etc. I was the “RD” and organizer, closelycoordinating with Valerie Silk and the IM office, who were extremely supportive.

Post race, Valerie sent a congratulations telegram to our awards pizza dinner and the Honolulu paper did an article.

Pretty cool to do the original race, under the same circumstances and conditions.

It would be great to go back to Penticton and do it again.
Quote Reply
Re: No three loop course here, no finisher's medals either. Going Long in the Okanagan [Tri-Bum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is neat to hear that this sort of thing has been done before, (successfully) on a course equally as EPIC as the classic IMC route.

One thing that will make the bike route easier in 2018, is that the pavement on the Cawston out and back is much better now as compared to a lot of those events from about 2000-2016.

So, if you want to bring out your Softride FASTT, Kestrel KM40, ZIPP 2001, QR KILO, Lightspeed Blade, or Cervelo EYRE, this would be the UNSUPPORTED UNOFFICIAL event to flaunt your vintage steed.

Unlike your experience in '85, I'm not expecting any support from "The Corporation" with this thing!

Valerie Silk, on the other hand...

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Keep me in the loop on this event. I won't be able to race the full, but would be up for helping out in some way!

Website - Follow Me On Strava - Follow Me On Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool idea, this sounds more fun than an official race at this point! They have a grassroots race in Long Beach called Bayshore 70.4. It started this same way, but now has about 200 participants. I did it for the first time last year and had more fun there than any tri in recent memory. It was like stepping back 30 years to what I think the origins of triathlon would have been like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
With response like this your numbers will probably exceed the last year of Challenge Penticton race for the iron distance. 😳

"Be your best cheerleader , not your worst critic.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YAAAASSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is awesome. IMC LIVES!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: No three loop course here, no finisher's medals either. Going Long in the Okanagan [Kirch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kirch: I was up on the Yellow Lake climb in 2015 watching THE LAST cyclist come up. It was a very lonely place. The caravans were gone. Just her, me, and the sag wagon. I videotaped it for posterity.

Symonds: would be great if you could make it... in any capacity. It'll probably take that long for your legs to recover from yesterday's 1:08.

Update: right now we are at 10 "probably participants" and 7 "probably volunteers." If the volunteers follow through, we probably won't have to pull a Ned Overend and drink out of folks water hoses during the run.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bet we can get Will or Jonny to help out.

I'm giving this some thought. For 6 years (racing/coaching/spectating) IMC was _the_ culmination of Summer. I've got motivation but no where to put it, maybe this...

I'd also be game with a tweaked bike course. Bonus, no cawston out and back.
Last edited by: MarkyV: Feb 13, 18 10:42
Quote Reply
Re: No three loop course here, no finisher's medals either. Going Long in the Okanagan [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
I bet we can get Will or Jonny to help out.

I'm giving this some thought. For 6 years (racing/coaching/spectating) IMC was _the_ culmination of Summer. I've got motivation but no where to put it, maybe this...

I'd also be game with a tweaked bike course. Bonus, no cawston out and back.

Oooh. Now THAT is a course.

There's a back route to Apex via Hedley too... but that would make it 210km and almost 3000m of climbing... and the road is gravel.
Quote Reply
Re: No three loop course here, no finisher's medals either. Going Long in the Okanagan [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oh you shouldn't have....

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/49.338305,-120.0537006/49.3788871,-119.9841632/@49.3551103,-120.0437078,13.28z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e1!5m1!1e4

4k in 10 miles. 8+% on gravel... delicious.

The "marathon" will now involve running to Jonny's for a drink on the beach.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: No three loop course here, no finisher's medals either. Going Long in the Okanagan ** Update [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So far we have a list of 12 folks who are firmly committed (and 10 who are somewhat committed) to doing the "event that is not a race."

One fella, who is known for having a stellar run in Kona after riding the last part of the bike with one leg says he will be with us, either participating or volunteering.

And for some even cooler news, I was chatting with Greg Cowan from F2C Nutrition. He said F2C might be able to provide us with a couple of on-course aid stations! They said they may even have a place to ditch our bikes, instead of us just putting them in our vehicles! Their help, along with the folks who have also committed to providing us with an aid station for the run course, should make our day even more pleasant.

Remember, you don't have to do the whole thing. Do part of it. Or, if you are a well-connected (and liked) person make it a relay.

So far, our post-event fun will be held at Salty's.

Who else is in?

Reply below & I'll add you to the database.

Last edited by: Hydrosloth: Apr 1, 18 9:43
Quote Reply
Re: No three loop course here, no finisher's medals either. Going Long in the Okanagan ** Update [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kudos to Heinzey,

Some of my fondest memories in our sport have been out on that course during a race day or supporting athletes training.

Let me know if there is anything that we can do to make the day better for all and what might help with your epic training day. I thought the suggestion to have the riders "leave as a group and peleton down to Osoyoos" was an epic suggestion!

Not trying to give "corporate help", especially as were not anything like a Wiley Triathlon Corporate/Syndicate entity. Worste case scenario maybe donate a pitcher of beer or two at Salty's as long as Rhys shares the beer and possibly has a basement couch free, CCF/Nordic Skier/ and Symonds join it it would be a long, fun rewarding say out there!

Also, Jeff "The Chef" at Salty's makes a mean plate of Wings!

Anyway, you know how to reach me...

JSD

Joe Dixon
Race Director
Westwood Lake, Oliver Half & Aquabike,
"Wine Capital of Canada" Tri, Elk Lake and Cultus Lake Triathlons
http://www.dynamicraceevents.com
Quote Reply
Re: No three loop course here, no finisher's medals either. Going Long in the Okanagan ** Update [Ironboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the encouragement Joe.
I guess that I could have said as part of the title of this thread no draft marshalls either.
As we get a bit closer to the event that is not a race, I may have a few questions.
How many glow sticks should I buy.....?

Quote Reply
Re: No three loop course here, no finisher's medals either. Going Long in the Okanagan ** Update [Ironboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I may have to join in just to get in on the free beer..... hahaha

I have a bad habit of going out and riding the course solo, this would definitely be more fun, especially running after!!

I am doing IMC in July, and Super league the weekend before this adventure so may not be the freshest..... :p
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We are ten weeks away. I'd like to get some "firm-ish" numbers to do a bit of planning. Read the latest update here http://www.fitspeek.com

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was chatting with a friend about this event while I was in Oliver for the half, should see how interested he really is.

At this point I have whistler in July, nd super league the weekend before this.

If I do this, I may show up trashed, but if we are just taking it easy, could be a nice day out on a fantastic course :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next