Quote | Reply
I want to see how that ended!

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: How NOT to react to a minor rear-end tap [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
I want to see how that ended!

According to posts on the car forum I saw this on, the Honda ended up hitting a tree. There was supposedly video that showed the later stages of the chase but they've been taken down.

This is how the BMW looked after all that (doesn't seem to be much rear bumper damage!):

Last edited by: WelshinPhilly: Feb 1, 18 9:04
Quote Reply
Re: How NOT to react to a minor rear-end tap [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh Fuck! I know where that is!!!

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Was there anything on why the driver of the Honda thought they were in smokey and the bandit ?

Or is the BMW driver charged with anything ?

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: How NOT to react to a minor rear-end tap [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seems like both drivers were a little psycho.
Quote Reply
Re: How NOT to react to a minor rear-end tap [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's right off Route 42 right? The driving right there doesn't surprise me.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:

Holy crap, that brought back memories.

On my way to family vacation at Disney 2 years ago we got rear ended somewhere around Valdosta, GA. Car was a old camry or honda with no plates. A late-teens boy and girl that looked strung out on drugs. They refused to pull over and started to try to get away from us in bumper to bumper traffic on I-75. Weaving in and out of lanes, we even had 18 wheelers trying to help us box them in. They were so strung out they couldn't even figure out all they had to do was get on the shoulder and get away, they just kept zig zagging between cars until we finally got to the next exit and they took off on some country backroads.
We stopped at the gas station at the top of the exit and waited on the cops and pointed them in the direction they went. By that point they were long gone.
I remember being pissed and wanting to chase them, but knew not to put my family at risk. Had I been by myself I could have easily have made the same mistake as that guy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
Was there anything on why the driver of the Honda thought they were in smokey and the bandit ?

Or is the BMW driver charged with anything ?

A few people pointed out that the (apparently female) Honda driver could have been fleeing because the BMW driver was raging so hard at her, although as far as I could see she had zero intention of pulling over right from the beginning.

No word on charges.

One funny comment in the car forum thread, in response to an observation on the Honda driver still using her turn signals while fleeing - something along the lines of "It was to confuse the BMW driver by making him wonder what the flashing lights were."
Quote Reply
Re: How NOT to react to a minor rear-end tap [Tatonka] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tatonka wrote:
That's right off Route 42 right? The driving right there doesn't surprise me.

Yep, getting off at the exit for Deptford Mall

I wonder where the Honda expected to go? After turning at Timber Creek Liquors [when the video ends] it's all residential, until you - maybe - get back on Black Horse Pike, then work your way back to 42

Shoulda gone left when he made the 2nd right, then back to 42 there

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People lose their minds when they are driving. This is the car of a woman who didn't go when the light turned. I gave her a very gently beep beep because the way she was acting I thought she was lost and looking for an address. That set her off apparently. I passed her in an adjoining lane and didn't realize anything was wrong. She wheeled in behind me and rammed me when I stopped for a light.

I was driving a 2003 Toyota Tundra. Her's is, I think, a 2016 C-Class. I suffered some scuffed dirt on my bumper.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: How NOT to react to a minor rear-end tap [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Once they had the plate number from the vehicle what was the point of chasing the car around? Hopefully Roscoe P Coaltrain get's few charges out of his 'heroic' chase.
Quote Reply
Re: How NOT to react to a minor rear-end tap [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
Once they had the plate number from the vehicle what was the point of chasing the car around? Hopefully Roscoe P Coaltrain get's few charges out of his 'heroic' chase.

I wonder how that will play out with his insurance and getting his car fixed.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

I'm sure they'll be happy to pay,.....to fix minor scratches on his bumper.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: How NOT to react to a minor rear-end tap [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slowguy wrote:
Leddy wrote:
racin_rusty wrote:

I'm sure they'll be happy to pay,.....to fix minor scratches on his bumper.

"I rolled my car while trying to run into her"

D'Wife was Insurance for a couple years, let me get her take on that

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People can be nuts. I had a 65 mile commute each way in my previous position, most of which was on one freeway. There was a guy who always tailgated people, dangerously so, saw him 3x/week. I didn't realize it was him one morning as I was going 10mph over the limit in the passing lane, buzzing by everyone on the right side. He was tailgating me like he was hooked to me, so I tapped the brake lights without actually engaging the brakes a bit. He flipped out, lost his mind, I moved to the right lane as soon as there was room ahead in it, he gets right next to me, and moves so close that he nearly hit me, pushing me into the rumble strips. I should have called him in. It wasn't the last time that happened, as I saw it happen again with him and an elderly lady not even two weeks later.

Craziest thing I ever saw on that commute was the charred remains of a small personal plane. Apparently it was going in for a landing at a rural airstrip on the side of the highway, misjudged his altitude, clipped the top of a FedEx semi, hit the ground, and blew up. Not sure what I would have done if I actually witnessed that. Glad I didn't, because that's a memory I don't want stuck in my head.

I don't miss that commute one bit.

WelshinPhilly wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a drunk guy rear end me. I was driving a rental, paid for by the insurance of the lady that rear ended me at 45 the previous week.

Guy tried to go around me on the left at a stop sign, nudged me, and took off. I chased him down, called in the plate to the local PD. He tried to take off down a side road, but I found him pushing his car across a church parking lot. Boxed him in and got out. He walks towards me and opens with “I didn’t hit you”. I still had the cops on the line, told him to keep back, cops are on the phone and on the way. Cops show up, 2 minutes later he’s doing the field sobriety test and getting cuffed.

His insurance tried to weasel out of paying it.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Re: How NOT to react to a minor rear-end tap [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:

Yeah, that's what I was going to say. It could have been a really good use of his dash cam once he had the license plate on camera and he could show that she wasn't just looking for a place to safely pull over.

And I can't figure out why in the world the driver let that video get out. I guess he doesn't realize how much it makes him look like an unstable idiot.
Quote Reply
Re: How NOT to react to a minor rear-end tap [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lunchbox wrote:
I had a drunk guy rear end me. I was driving a rental, paid for by the insurance of the lady that rear ended me at 45 the previous week.

Guy tried to go around me on the left at a stop sign, nudged me, and took off. I chased him down, called in the plate to the local PD. He tried to take off down a side road, but I found him pushing his car across a church parking lot. Boxed him in and got out. He walks towards me and opens with “I didn’t hit you”. I still had the cops on the line, told him to keep back, cops are on the phone and on the way. Cops show up, 2 minutes later he’s doing the field sobriety test and getting cuffed.

His insurance tried to weasel out of paying it.

A couple weeks ago my wife was rear ended on her way to pick up the kid from the bus stop. She was stopped, guy next to her was stopped. Couple guys hotboxing hit both of them. Totaled their car. Tried to get the ambulance to take them away before the cops showed up.

We're at over $7000 damage on our car and a couple thousand to the other guy's truck. Amazingly once they got all the cars looked at, the insurance company was very nice. Didn't hurt that their car still stunk of week a week after sitting in the tow yard ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone else think the getaway driver must really suck at driving if they couldn't ditch the chaser after the chaser overturned into a ditch?

Also, if it takes your co-pilot like 90 seconds to dial 9-1-1, you might need some smarter friends. Of course, if he did call 9-1-1 immediately, the call would have gone like this:
9-1-1 Operator: "9-1-1, what's your emergency?
Passenger: "Yes, we were driving on Interstate...{gets interrupted by driver screaming}
Driver: "Fuck we just flipped into a ditch!"

Finally, Ziggy Stardust in not a proper soundtrack for a high-speed car chase. Give me some Thorogood, or maybe AC/DC.
Last edited by: DJRed: Feb 2, 18 7:23
Quote Reply
Re: How NOT to react to a minor rear-end tap [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:
Anyone else think the getaway driver must really suck at driving if they couldn't ditch the chaser after the chaser overturned into a ditch?

I'm guessing she figured it was over at that point. She may have even slowed down with a twinge of guilt.
Quote Reply
Re: How NOT to react to a minor rear-end tap [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DJRed wrote:

Based on how she was just sitting at the light when he caught up with her, she probably figured him rolling his car was the end of it.
Quote Reply