Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Poll: Favorite Kona coverage - pick a year.
Quote | Reply

Here's the deal:

A friend has been watching her VHS copy of this years Ironman coverage from NBC over and over. She uses it to help her head game and motivate for long training days. If I were to try and be a pal for her birthday, which past video year's video would your folks recommend? Was there a year that really "worked"? One that filled 3 hours? One with superior focus on mortals who just wanna prove to themselves they can?

thanks a bundle,

-c
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Favorite Kona coverage - pick a year. [cwhitchurch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.velogear.com/hawirvid.html

They are selling videos going back to 1991, but if you can find it, get 1989 the 'ironwar' between Mark Allen and Dave Scott. Additionally and now you have to get ultra resourceful but I'm sure it is out there, if you can find a copy of footage - in English - of the Quelle Roth challenge from this last (2003) summer where Lothar Leder and Chris McCormack sprint to the finish after racing side by side, that would be incredible.

Picking from what Velogear has I'd say the most worthy is 1991 - Welch's big win - you will not find a more jublilant champ ever. Don't know, I think the older NBC coverage showed more racing, recent years it has been drama - drama - drama and 5 minutes of the race.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Favorite Kona coverage - pick a year. [snepper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman tapes are great for helping time pass. I like to watch tour de france tapes some how they make time pass even faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, 1989 is the best. It was part of ABC's Wide World of Sports.

I concur about the Tour de France tapes, especially 1989, the Lemond/Fignon battle (what was it about 1989??). Or Paris-Roubaix, or any of the exciting one-day Classics.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote is for '99. There was a good emphasis on the Dick & Ricky Hoyt story. Whenever I feel like life isn't giving me a fair shake, I think about Dick or Ricky and it puts things in perspective.

Brett
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Favorite Kona coverage - pick a year. [snepper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think yoou mean 1994 for Welch's win in Kona.

Haim

-------------------------------------------------------
"Sometimes you need to think INSIDE the box!" -- ME
"Why squirrel hate me?"
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Favorite Kona coverage - pick a year. [Haim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can't remember the exact year... 90 maybe, but the TV coverage had John Tesh music and I believe he also did some color coverage... awesome music... still have the tape of it.

Shawn Skene
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're talking about the most inspiring human interest story, no doubt Dick and Ricky Hoyt in 1999. I think they also had good race coverage that year, good music, etc.

2002 with Marc Herremans is IMHO the best overall tape though. The 2nd most inspring human interest story plus a story on Peter Reid and the NYFD guy. Plus excellent race coverage.

1997 is my 3rd choice with the FBI guy who's daughter dies of Luekemia but not before writing the Ironman lottery and getting her dad in as a birthday present. Oh, man. If you want a good cry on the trainer, this is your best bet.

Yes, I watch these way too much. I actually can talk along with the announcer as I've memorized them. That's what bitter cold winters will do to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
By far, the best year is 1989 with the Ironwar between Dave and Mark -- but it is unavailable through any commercial publications. You would have to have someone "dub" an old copy for you.

In reference to another post, Welch won in 1994. That is neat with respect to Dave Scott's comeback and 2nd place finish.

The 1996 tape has some great interviews with Dave Scott, and some great biking/running footage with Hellriegel and Van Lierde together.

But as far as the regular NBC broadcasts, 1991 is the best for the psychology of the race. It is the only tape with a full 2 hours (the others are 90 minutes). There are some awesome interviews with Mark Allen, Greg Welch, Scott Tinley, etc., emphasizing both the "good days" and "bad days" of the Ironman. There is also a great piece on Allen's terrible races prior to his breakthough in 1989... the "blowing up," dehydration, flat tires, walking, etc.

If your friend is looking to be inspired and wants a glimpse inside the minds of others who have trained for and raced Ironman, go with 1991!!

God bless,
Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: Favorite Kona coverage - pick a year. [toj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My bad, I need to slow down and not use the ten key. 1994 is the year Welch won - in the 25 year recap there is a short little bit about past winners and they show Welch going nuts on Ali'i drive. Very cool. Thank you all for the correction.
Quote Reply