Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who else is up this early for the Lunar Trifecta?
Quote | Reply
So not since 1866 has there been a blue, blood, moon. This is when it is closest to earth, two moons within a month, and it is eclipsed by the earth. I got my 6 year old boy out of bed and he was so excited about this, went outside at 4;51am and it was very big, orange, and unique. Of course he got bored after a minute or two, so now I'm telling him the stories of what it must have been like in caveman days when they saw it.

And it brought up the opportunity to bring up the civil war, since the last one was right after it ended. The concept of slavery was hard for him to grasp at first, but then he got it and knew it was a really bad thing. He is still struggling with friends and brothers ever fighting against each other, but it is sinking in..

If you are up and in CA go out and look, it will be going until 6;07 they say. Wont get another chance, unless of course we get to upload our brains into a computer to live forever...

https://www.nasa.gov/...d-moon-coming-jan-31
Last edited by: monty: Jan 31, 18 5:53
Quote Reply
Re: Who else is up this early for the Lunar Trifecta? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was watching as it was on the local news then went out about thirty minutes ago to actually see it. It looked very interesting to see so much from afar

Quote | Reply
we saw it real well up here. blood moon during the full eclipse, and then as the sky got lighter and the eclipse was about half over the blood moon disappeared and you could only see the faintest outline, as if you wouldn't know the moon was there at all if you didn't see the bright half.

you don't realize how bright the moon is until you see the eclipse disappear.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Who else is up this early for the Lunar Trifecta? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My timing this morning was perfect. I left the gym at 6:15 and headed due west to get to work, could see the thing of beauty almost the entire way. There was some clouds here in the Denver area, but not enough to block out the moon.

The best was at 6:30 when my phone buzzed for a Ring notification, my son set his alarm to get up early enough to see it.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was up and took some photo's through my telescope. The kids wanted to be woken up to see it but they didn't stay outside for long. Wife needed the photos downloaded immediately for posting on FB. I would have liked to go to someplace where I could match an interesting foreground with the moon but being a school day that was out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Got a pretty good look from the bathroom window. Extra winning because it was -20°C this morning. The kid thought it was cool too.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was pretty cool. I was headed from the gym to the train station this morning with the massive moon in my windshield almost the whole way. Impressive and it was perfectly clear sky this morning where I am.

I talk to myself because mine are the only answers I'll accept - George Carlin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tried to look at it here on the east coast, but the moon was really low in the sky when it happened, so the view was pretty bad (blocked by tree line, etc). Oh well, I'm sure there will be another one soon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No joy in Western Washington. Cloud cover too thick.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I left the house a 4:55 EST for the pool the moon was full but not red, after the swim the clouds moved in.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Woke up as did the husband and 8 year old but we were completely clouded over.

Amazing sunrise though a bit later as a consolation prize.

Harry: "I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little rockier than this."
Loyd: "I was thinking the same thing. That John Denver's full of shit, man."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am fucking pissed at myself. I knew that it was the 31st, but I thought the 31st as in, tonight; the 31st going into the 1st! I've been getting up at 4am this week to get down to El Segundo, so I was up and awake. If I'd known better, I would have gone down to the beach to see it. We had some friends over during the last weekend and we discussed doing an early morning hike up the Chumash Trail to Mugu Peak to see it in total. #@$!

Gnothi Seauton.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I set the alarm for 4:30 so I wouldn't miss it. Unfortunately a power outage ruined that plan. Fortunately my cat woke me up at 4:00 anyway; pretty sure he was just being evil and didn't know about the eclipse (but you can never tell with him).

The view of the darkened moon was amazing through a 75x spotting scope. And then I went back to bed and woke up to see a restored full moon setting in the west. Pretty cool!
Quote Reply
Re: Who else is up this early for the Lunar Trifecta? [davec] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davec wrote:
No joy in Western Washington. Cloud cover too thick.

Same in Calgary. I had a telescope (1000 mm focal length refractor) and camera (Canon T6i) tested out and ready to go, but there was absolutely nothing visible. Of course, last night the moon was bright enough to read by.

Less is more.
Quote Reply