Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Castiron radiator feet / stands - suggestions needed
Quote | Reply
This forum has always been a rich mine of advice on truly random questions so here's my latest.
  • My house's floor has sunk a bit in the middle - almost 2 inches at its worst.
  • It's heated with huge steam radiators that weigh a ton - they now stand proud of the floor and have to be shimmed.
  • Spare bits of wood look messy and I'm not a good enough carpenter to carve nice custom oak pieces.
  • I made stands our of angle steel and feet like this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015TLY4YM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 . Looked ok but not great.
  • Any ideas on something better? What i really want are individual feet that come in various heights but can be adjusted, in situ with a spanner or similar, around that height (e.g. a "small" might be 1/2"-1" and "large" 1"-2") They need to be able to take a LOT of weight and be absolutely stable but I'd like them to have a decorative or at least neutral look. My angled-steel things are neat enough but pretty industrial looking and they stand out in the house.

"Are you sure we're going fast enough?" - Emil Zatopek
Quote Reply
Re: Castiron radiator feet / stands - suggestions needed [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you have pics to clarify what's happening with the radiators? (more out of curiosity than actually having any suggestions.. my house is all cast iron radiators too and we're yet to find a level surface - or anything completely square/plumb - in the entire place, but all the radiators sit fine on the floor)
Quote Reply
Re: Castiron radiator feet / stands - suggestions needed [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No photos, but this is the issue:

Quote Reply
Re: Castiron radiator feet / stands - suggestions needed [Bretom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bretom wrote:
No photos, but this is the issue:

Get a few hydraulic jacks into your basement and lift that fucker up!

who's smarter than you're? i'm!
Quote Reply
Re: Castiron radiator feet / stands - suggestions needed [veganerd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Get a few hydraulic jacks into your basement and lift that fucker up![/quote]

Y'see, I thought about that but we decided to put two jacks in to preserve the current deflection only. Even that may not have been necessary because it's 2" over 100 years so far - I don't see it getting much worse. If we level the floor everything else in the house will adjust accordingly and not a contractor I spoke to recommended it.

I think I may have found a found a partial answer:

http://www.starrett.com/metrology/product-detail/metrology/metrology-products/precision-measuring-tools/machinists-precision-shop-tools/Jack-Screws/191A

If anyone knows a better resource for a big range of things just like this LMK.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, never jack up a floor. Stabilize only.

You need to work on your linking. Those things look cool however. For some reason, the "add link" utility on slowtwitch opens with an http thingy there already. You need to delete it before pasting the link that you've copied from your browser.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply