Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: TrainerRoad New FTP test [Gskalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gskalt wrote:
This is a new test for me. my coach has me doing 3x12 minutes with 3 minute recoveries between. its really torturous. is this step method a good substitute for that? My legs are useless after the session and still have to survive my day in real life.

If your legs are useless after 3 x 12 min on, 3 min off at (probably) ~75% of VO2max*, then an incremental exercise test in which you end up at a power requiring 110-120% of VO2max may very well cause them to fall off.

To help put things in perspective (as I always describe to students): your plasma catecholamine, i.e., norepinephrine and epinephrine (noradrenaline or adrenaline if your English), levels with be several fold HIGHER after the latter test than typically found in someone who just suffered a heart attack, severe burns over a major part of the body, extreme trauma (e.g., car accident), etc.

*Assuming that you're doing them at ~100% of FTP, and that the relationship between your FTP and your VO2max is average.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad New FTP test [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
I just did the ramp test again today (first time in a couple of months, third time overall) and noticed that the test automatically spat out a new FTP number for me at the end of the test. Is the FTP number generation process now fully automated in TR, or is the 'real' number still sent to me as a comment later on?

Yes! No need for someone to email you now.

Let's all thank our TR employee Juliana who did over 6,000 emails to tell people their ramp test results while we were in beta.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad New FTP test [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Yes! No need for someone to email you now.

Let's all thank our TR employee Juliana who did over 6,000 emails to tell people their ramp test results while we were in beta.

Absolutely! Thank you Juliana!
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad New FTP test [Andrew Coggan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I need a dictionary to look up some of that!! The 3x12 is tough, it’s also tough mentally. Somehow I’ve held it together for the 2 times I’ve done it. But I do this early am before my day starts with a two hour commute to work and my legs are just sore all day. If there’s a way to get a good number than I’ll do the ramp test and save myself the pain. Even do a z2 workout after to get some endurance time in. But I’m also 6 weeks out from my big event and the 3x12 will also serve as a solid workout. I’m also using a new power meter instead of my smart trainer f
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad New FTP test [Gskalt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If this is in the wrong section let me know and I can address it .

Started the 20 min FTP ( results attached) and it felt like death which all in all is an ok thing.

Equipment Used: Wahoo Kicker 2017 in EGR
Power : P1 Pedals
Heart Rate: N/A
Position: Aero

Impressions : Test was worked until I could no longer turn the pedals from the aero position ( which again was a horrible experience)

Results: Listed in attachment
First ride after FTP: Ericsson which is also attached . These results make me think I can't possibly be using the tool correctly.

Ongoing Training: Training with the next round of workouts from TR was extremely difficult and I had to lower the intensity to 60%

Question: Should I switch the trainer out of EGR and focus on something that I can maintain for a constant 60-90 min set?

Looking for guidance/ reassurance I am using this tool correctly this way I can give the experience a fair writeup at the end.
Last edited by: balance3: Jul 6, 18 10:37
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad New FTP test [balance3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
balance3 wrote:
If this is in the wrong section let me know and I can address it .

Started the 20 min FTP ( results attached) and it felt like death which all in all is an ok thing.

Equipment Used: Wahoo Kicker 2017 in EGR
Power : P1 Pedals
Heart Rate: N/A
Position: Aero

Impressions : Test was worked until I could no longer turn the pedals from the aero position ( which again was a horrible experience)

Results: Listed in attachment
First ride after FTP: Ericsson which is also attached . These results make me think I can't possibly be using the tool correctly.

Ongoing Training: Training with the next round of workouts from TR was extremely difficult and I had to lower the intensity to 60%

Question: Should I switch the trainer out of EGR and focus on something that I can maintain for a constant 60-90 min set?

Looking for guidance/ reassurance I am using this tool correctly this way I can give the experience a fair writeup at the end.

I don't see any attachment so I'm not sure about your results.

Did you do Ericsson right after the 20 minute test? If so, don't do that :). Take a day off then try Ericsson, it should be doable. You can also link me to your test directly, that will help.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad New FTP test [balance3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Somethings wrong

The test didn't seem to run correctly (looks like you didn't stop), but either way your FTP was ~135ish. (I'd go watch the ramp test video)

Probably due to the above the FTP wasn't updated, so you tried to do Ericsson at the previously set FTP (200W) & somewhat unsurprisingly fell apart.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad New FTP test [SteveM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:

If your ventilation isn't significantly higher at the end of an incremental exercise test vs. a constant intensity, submaximal (as in, below VO2max) effort, you didn't push yourself hard enough.

Another indicator of the above would be heart rate - it should be essentially pegged at maximum for the last couple of minutes.

(Note: I just did my first VO2max test in about 15 y last week. I managed to get within a hair's breadth of 60 mL/min/kg, but I was wiped out for the rest of the day as always.)

Yeah i was certainly gasping for air, my legs failed but i also hit 193bpm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrew Coggan wrote:
SteveM wrote:

I've done the ramp test twice now. It's certainly in the ballpark but I think for me it's coming out a little low.

For the past couple of years I've done almost no training above FTP, so both ramp tests resulted in sigificant all time 5-minute peak powers.

The failure is very different, legs just die, not like the 20 minute test where I'm gagging for air (I far prefer the ramp failure...)

If your ventilation isn't significantly higher at the end of an incremental exercise test vs. a constant intensity, submaximal (as in, below VO2max) effort, you didn't push yourself hard enough.

Another indicator of the above would be heart rate - it should be essentially pegged at maximum for the last couple of minutes.

(Note: I just did my first VO2max test in about 15 y last week. I managed to get within a hair's breadth of 60 mL/min/kg, but I was wiped out for the rest of the day as always.)

Can you expand on the following, " Another indicator of the above would be heart rate - it should be essentially pegged at maximum for the last couple of minutes".

Is it possible for people to maintain maximal heart rate for a couple of minutes? I would have thought most would only be able to hold their true max heart rate for a few seconds not minutes.

I assume when you refer to max heart rate you mean the max heart rate established from testing as opposed to 220 - age.
Last edited by: Trev: Jul 9, 18 8:32
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad New FTP test [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
Andrew Coggan wrote:

(Prediction: a year or so from now, there will be a lot of people scratching their heads, trying to figure out why their performance in triathlons hasn't improved even though their ramp test results have.)

I don't agree with this comment.

If someone does a ramp test, then trains for 26 weeks following a structured, well thought out training plan, their triathlon performance will improve.

The fact that they measured themselves with a ramp test doesn't influence their training.

So it's not 26 weeks, but I've just finished 20 weeks of sweet spot base 1 & 2 followed by sustained power (all mid-volume).

I think you're correct, following the plan my performance has improved, but mostly this has been in fatigue resistance, the ramp tested ftp sticks stubbornly at ~285W.

Problem is that once I get to ~380W the legs just die, given that in the past 125 hours of training only 5 minutes was at or above 380W (ignoring the ramp test itself) it doesn't seem that surprising. ie. If I want to improve my ramp test results I likely need to do some work at 380W+.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SteveM wrote:
the ramp tested ftp sticks stubbornly at ~285W.

Problem is that once I get to ~380W the legs just die, given that in the past 125 hours of training only 5 minutes was at or above 380W (ignoring the ramp test itself) it doesn't seem that surprising. ie. If I want to improve my ramp test results I likely need to do some work at 380W+.

I'd bet a beer you're a tri-centric or TT centric rider and not a bike racer. It is ST, but that'd be my guess.

I sharpen my knife for a different fight than triathlon. I think I spent 5min at 380w or more on just my last group ride.

I spent 12min at 400w in a minute on/minute off workout a week or so back. I'm at a 20min number of a bit over 280 right now.

I say that junk to get at, I'd guess that you're right.
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad New FTP test [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
burnthesheep wrote:
SteveM wrote:

I'd bet a beer you're a tri-centric or TT centric rider and not a bike racer. It is ST, but that'd be my guess.

I sharpen my knife for a different fight than triathlon. I think I spent 5min at 380w or more on just my last group ride.

I spent 12min at 400w in a minute on/minute off workout a week or so back. I'm at a 20min number of a bit over 280 right now.

Well with one season of bike racing you are an expert, now. See you at Nationals, I assume?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you select which type of ftp test you want to do n TR or is it just the ramp test now?
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad New FTP test [JBell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JBell wrote:
Can you select which type of ftp test you want to do n TR or is it just the ramp test now?

Default is the ramp, but you can select the 20 or 8 as far as I'm aware
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: TrainerRoad New FTP test [T-wrecks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
T-wrecks wrote:
burnthesheep wrote:
SteveM wrote:

Well with one season of bike racing you are an expert, now. See you at Nationals, I assume?

Nope. Just agreeing with the post. There’s guys that eat me for lunch.

Hitting a hill twice on a group ride ain’t special. Nor is what I do. It’s just what you do for a kind of riding.

Also just that he’s right, I’d have to assume. Hitting that in a test will be hard if you don’t routinely do it, just seems logical.

I don’t routinely hold long times right at my 20min power. And I’m not good at it.

It’s not a brag, it’s just stating something that appears obvious. If you never hit that # in practice how’s it expected to in a test.

Wait, why am I the expert on anything? Just observing.

Carry on.
Quote Reply

Prev Next