Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

What will we learn with the release of the memo?
Quote | Reply
It is now up to the President to approve/deny the memo release. Given his position on this prior to it being sent to him for approval, you would think he will release it. Media is sensationalizing it, saying it is Watergate #2. From what I have read, it sounds like it outlines the FBI violating FISA, and some higher ups new they were violating it. I am not sure I 100% understand the implications.

What will the outcome of this memo release be?
Quote Reply
Re: What will we learn with the release of the memo? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Basically it is going to be the republican talking points about how Carter Page's warrant was not correct (probably was but they will cherry pick a couple facts to put it in question). It won't deny all the information gathered after it that shows he was basically a Russian agent, but this is the OJ glove doesn't fit moment for the president and his die hard followers. It will be completely one sided and without rebuttal.

Unless of course the rebuttal memo gets leaked, that would be funny if it actually got leaked before the pubs memo actually got released. Of course Trump will approve its release, or do nothing and it gets released in 5 days regardless. I think he knows the gig is about up and he will want as much smoke out there as possible to provide him his escape. He will go down screaming it was all a secret plot by the Justice Dept and FBI(which he appointed their directors) to dethrone him. This is going to have so many parallel paths to the Nixon resignation, in scope and most likely outcome..

The heat is turning up and the frog in the pot is getting hot all of a sudden...
Quote Reply
Re: What will we learn with the release of the memo? [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought we were on Watergate #15 by now?

Swim. Overbike. Walk.
Quote Reply
Re: What will we learn with the release of the memo? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dude, the "memo" was drafted in TOTALITY by the staff of Devin Nunes. The same fucking guy that supposedly recused himself months ago. It's nothing more than red meat for the brainless turds still following this presidency down the toilet.
Quote Reply
Re: What will we learn with the release of the memo? [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
See above
Quote Reply
Re: What will we learn with the release of the memo? [saltman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dude, keep chugging that Kool aide.....all that sugar is making you STUPID...
Quote Reply
Re: What will we learn with the release of the memo? [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
saltman wrote:
dude, the "memo" was drafted in TOTALITY by the staff of Devin Nunes. The same fucking guy that supposedly recused himself months ago. It's nothing more than red meat for the brainless turds still following this presidency down the toilet.
dvfmfidc wrote:
dude, keep chugging that Kool aide.....all that sugar is making you STUPID...

Q.E.D.
Quote Reply
Re: What will we learn with the release of the memo? [eb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Q.E.F.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mike Alexander wrote:
It is now up to the President to approve/deny the memo release. Given his position on this prior to it being sent to him for approval, you would think he will release it. Media is sensationalizing it, saying it is Watergate #2. From what I have read, it sounds like it outlines the FBI violating FISA, and some higher ups new they were violating it. I am not sure I 100% understand the implications.

What will the outcome of this memo release be?

That the fact that the President has not imposed Russian sanctions gets eclipsed?

That his moves to gut the FBI of disloyal officials gets eclipsed?

That Fox News, aka The Ministry of Truth, will have a feeding frenzy reporting the memo?

That the Trump Administration and its Ministry of Truth will focus on what it claims rather than whether there is any evidence to support what it says?

Nah. I'm sure it won't play out like that at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Monty is right that the memo being talked about is a pub production. The FISA warrant problem is that pubs believe they were issued at least partially based on the Fusion GPS work, work that was funded largely by the clinton campaign. It is definitely troubling to think that one campaign can create something, give it to the FBI, then have the other campaign under major scrutiny in this way, and if that happened, we need to find out. Whether we will is really up to the FBI, and so far they seem not to be so interested in the truth being made public.
-
Interesting piece from Howard Kurtz's ( Runs a show that looks at how the media reports; CNN "Reliable Sources", Fox "Mediabuzz") new book. One wonders how many times a scenario like this repeats itself in DC, and how much it contributed to getting us where we are today:

http://thefederalist.com/2018/01/29/new-book-mccabe-initiated-white-house-meeting-that-led-to-leak/
Last edited by: dave_w: Jan 30, 18 8:21
Quote Reply
Re: What will we learn with the release of the memo? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What we learn is repubs basically suck. They voted no on releasing minority report which given nunes track record would actually be more fact based. Carter page was on FBI radar even before trump campaign. He was being courted by Russians spys(2 fled, 1 went to jail). Given trump's shady business with Russian oligarchs in real estate arena, who in their right mind would not want info on trump? Oh, wh says we don't need more sanctions on Russians.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Monty is right that the memo being talked about is a pub production. The FISA warrant problem is that pubs believe they were issued at least partially based on the Fusion GPS work, work that was funded largely by the clinton campaign. It is definitely troubling to think that one campaign can create something, give it to the FBI, then have the other campaign under major scrutiny in this way, and if that happened, we need to find out. Whether we will is really up to the FBI, and so far they seem not to be so interested in the truth being made public.

My Trumpster colleague had smoke coming from his ears when characterizing this situation the other day. I'm only following this from a distance, but my thought was, and is still: so what? Why should it matter who has dirt on whom? The question is, or should be, I think, is that information credible and relevant?

So, was the information provided in part by Fusion GPS actionable, in terms of meeting the FISA standard? And if it was, would it have been proper for the intel community to ignore it because of the source?

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Last edited by: sphere: Jan 30, 18 3:25
Quote Reply
Re: What will we learn with the release of the memo? [tyrod1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tyrod1 wrote:
What we learn is repubs basically suck. They voted no on releasing minority report which given nunes track record would actually be more fact based. Carter page was on FBI radar even before trump campaign. He was being courted by Russians spys(2 fled, 1 went to jail). Given trump's shady business with Russian oligarchs in real estate arena, who in their right mind would not want info on trump? Oh, wh says we don't need more sanctions on Russians.

Basically this.

Liberals will ignore any shady facts inside because it might cloud their salvation of Mueller's impending charges.

Pubs will embrace the fact that the fib is ridiculously biased and use that to throw shade on Mueller's impending charges.

Either way, we're left with a bunch of biased, crazy folks that you can't talk sense to (including libbies, pubs and almost every government worker).

Just a reminder...if Gary had won we could all be smoking legal pot and having civilized discourse while munching on cheetos (instead of watching one on TV tonight).

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: What will we learn with the release of the memo? [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anyone that thinks FBI is liberal bastion needs to lay off what Gary pushed. I thought Gary ok until he screwed up his tv appearances during campaign. Maybe some good ideas but he came across as a flake. Weld's expressions were priceless.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow. What drugs are you taking? Watch something other than MSNBC once in a while.
Quote Reply
Re: What will we learn with the release of the memo? [Lagerhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. What drugs are you taking? Watch something other than MSNBC once in a while. //

Really?? This has been the news(well probably not Fox News) for quite sometime now. SO tell me, what do you think is going to be in the memo?? What is Fox saying these days?? And by the way, I take thyroxine and a baby aspirin every day..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who are you to take a balanced approach? Your mind should already be made up prior to any information or facts being released.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Baby aspirin -- me too. Now, the collusion story -- sorry there is none. I don't believe Trump is worried at all about the investigation. The only collusion we know of was the GPS 'opposition' research funded by democrats. That counts I guess -- as Russian involvement in our electoral process [And Russian hacking of DNC's Podesta -- yep, they hack everyone and he made it easy (password)]. The memo, if released, will support the notion that our national security apparatus used very slim, and, now discredited intelligence to spy on citizens involved in the Trump campaign. If Bush had done that to the incoming Obama administration-- the media would have set their hair on fire and made it front page news.

Hillary lost -- get over it. He will not be impeached. Move on. Trump is a flawed personality for sure -- but if judged by his actions in office ---history will prove him an effective President.
Quote Reply
Re: What will we learn with the release of the memo? [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sphere wrote:
Quote:

My Trumpster colleague had smoke coming from his ears when characterizing this situation the other day. I'm only following this from a distance, but my thought was, and is still: so what? Why should it matter who has dirt on whom? The question is, or should be, I think, is that information credible and relevant?

So, was the information provided in part by Fusion GPS actionable, in terms of meeting the FISA standard? And if it was, would it have been proper for the intel community to ignore it because of the source?
-
Those questions are why it would be important to know the FISA justifications. On a different but related point; did you read the article I linked? A story that was a strong one for your "drip drip" thread. What do you think about the fact that a pretty big story “Trump Campaign Aides Had Repeated Contacts With Russian Intelligence”, was wrong, FBI (McCabe) showed up to WH to let them know thet the FBI knew it was bunk, and Reince Preibus asked if the FBI could let that info out. Then this:
-
"Now, a week later, CNN was airing a breaking news story naming Priebus. According to ‘multiple U.S. officials,’ the network said, ‘the FBI rejected a White House request to publicly knock down media reports about communications between Donald Trump’s associates and Russians known to U.S. intelligence.’
Priebus was stunned by the implication that he was pressuring law enforcement. Had he been set up? Why was the FBI leaking this information when one of its top officials had initiated the conversation?"

http://thefederalist.com/...ng-that-led-to-leak/
-
This is a case of the admin getting slammed by a false story, then again as obstructionists. That's a lot of bad false PR.
Quote Reply
Re: What will we learn with the release of the memo? [Lagerhead] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you have all the facts and your mind's made up.

Out of interest, is it illegal to pay someone to look for 'dirt' on your political opponent? I'm pretty sure that has been done hundreds of times in elections across the country. What is more of a grey area legally, is whether Donald Trump Jr. broke the law when he met with the Russians knowing the meeting was being set up to give him information that could potentially influence the election.

DJT's involvement in lying about that meeting (in crafting the false response that it was a meeting about adoptions), may also be considered as potential evidence in an obstruction of justice case. Same with DJT removing people from the room before asking Comey to lay off Flynn (the removal of the others from the room implies intent).

As for the memo, some who have seen it say it selectively picks documents and information from a much wider base of information and facts to create a distorted picture from the truth. Thankfully the Senate Intelligence Committee is acting with much more integrity that those in the House, particularly Nunes who was supposed to have recused himself and yet allegedly wrote the memo! And even if Christopher Steele's concerns over Carter Page led the FBI to wire-tap him, I'm not sure that is the huge scandal Trump et al want to make it. If it's not illegal for Clinton to pay for Steele to create his 'dossier of dirt,' and Steele finds information so disturbing he feels that bringing it the FBI is the right thing to do, where is the problem? Remeber, Steele is someone with very good credentials when it comes to getting information to do with Russia. Should the FBI just ignore what he alerted them to? That said, the FBI or CIA may already have been watching Carter Page before Steele came to them.

Then you have all the Russian contacts that were first denied and then admitted... Flynn having to resign for not coming clean about contacts with Russians, Jeff Sessions having to recuse himself for the same, Jared Kuchner making a number of amendments to his filings in terms of not disclosing contacts with Russians, the lying about the Trump Jr meeting... why all the lies? What was Papadopulous' role? There is a lot you and I don't know, so it's hard to have any strong opinions. But there is lots of smoke. Why did Dmitry Rybolovlev fly into Charlotte and Las Vegas in his private jet while Trump was making campaign stops there. His plane was at a private plane hangar for only an hour and 20 minutes in LV. This was the guy that paid Trump about $95m for a mansion in FL that Trump had paid just $40m for a couple of years earlier. Oh yeah, Rybolovlev paid that price in 2008 when the property market was collapsing during the financial crisis. Smells a little odd.

Trump and GOP are seemingly trying to bloody the whole reputation of the FBI, ostensibly because they have failed to take out the Mueller and McCabe. It's almost akin to a scorched earth policy that is incredibly dangerous. Happily I think our institutions are strong enough they will survive fine, and if there has been wrongdoing within the FBI then I expect it will be revealed and those responsible held accountable.

But, as Paul Ryan says, the memo has little to do with Mueller's probe, and certainly means nothing for the potential guilt or innocence of Trump and his team.
Quote Reply