Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Honda Grom or Kawasaki Z125 or moped
Quote | Reply
I'm looking to get a motorcycle to share with my son (16 soon) to ride to the train station/school a few times a week. It's about 4 miles each way. A 50CC moped would be nice, given I can park it on the sidewalk, no license plate required, and no motorcycle license. However, I don't think it would have enough oomph to get me or him up some fairly long 3-4% type grades coming home. A few sections probably pitch to 6%-8% for a 1/4 mile or less. There is a decent bike lane.

I only need enough power for good acceleration but I don't want or need anything that can go over 60 given it's for short commutes. Given his age, less power and speed for him would probably be somewhat safer. He is an excellent rider on dirt - he races motocross and is currently on a KTM250F that puts out around 40HP compared to maybe 10HP for a Z125. I'm in the same boat, lots of motocross experience but no road experience.

It's a safe road to school/train station, no lights and only a few neighborhood roads coming out on the main road. Speed limit is 35 and 45 in parts. I have no desire to ride on the road past the train station or want him going past school.

The Z125s look cool, especially compared to a moped.

I
Quote Reply
Re: Honda Grom or Kawasaki Z125 or moped [summitt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a 2016 Honda PCX 150. It is good for city riding. Plenty quick and good for riding with a passenger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can "open" that moped up to give it a bit more power, then again, it does have pedals to help. Not sure what state your in, but in ca, need a MC license if it isn't a moped.

How about one of those cool bikes with a motor. https://phantom-bikes.com/

And don't forget the new electric bikes like Zero!

I like the grom. neat little bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Honestly, I think that I'd rather ride a moped than the Grom or Z125. They just look way too small--the pics I found using google look like adults riding a child's motorcycle. It's hard to believe it wouldn't feel really cramped after going from a 250 race bike. He's obviously got the riding skills.

I like the look of the PCX150 mentioned in this thread.
Quote Reply
Re: Honda Grom or Kawasaki Z125 or moped [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
seat height looks about the same, not sure how high the foot pegs are off the ground. I'll check them out next time at the dealer.

From what I read on the Z125 or Grom, if you are at 6' you need to raise the bars a bit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 6'3 and the PCX is plenty big with my wife on the back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I've ridden a moped, but never one of the tiny bikes. Just looking at the riders' positions here, the moped seems to have a much more natural riding position.The first pic is the PCX150 mentioned earlier, but I assume most mopeds fit about like that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Glancing at the title quickly it appeared a no brainer to me.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply