Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Non theoretical moral dilemma [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would presume equal numbers in car vs on the street. If its unequal I would presume you go with least number of people hurt/dead scenario?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Non theoretical moral dilemma [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
We can't have cars swerving off the road because someone didn't look before crossing the street.

Exactly. If you allow cars to drive in such a way that they can be easily coaxed into ramming themselves into trees and such then you create a situation too dangerous to the passengers. With a human driver we assume they can tell the difference between a child running in front of the car and a tumbleweed. Autonomous vehicles have to make the same determinations with an accuracy better than humans. This is where pattern recognition and AI become part of the solution. But if you allow a devious person to easily cause the vehicle to crash then this will certainly happen, so the vehicle has to follow rules that allow it to stay safe even in the event of unsafe (illegal) behavior of someone near it. In the OP's scenario this probably means the kids get run over. If you chose the have the car run off the cliff, then people may chose not to adopt autonomous cars, which could lead to thousands or millions of more deaths that could have been prevented...there are always big picture affects that have to be considered.

This is really the famous Trolley Dilemma.
Quote Reply
Re: Non theoretical moral dilemma [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I do not believe that autonomous cars will be 100% accident free as you are claiming. I say that is your claim because you said they will never be at fault in an accident with a regular driver. The only way that is true is if they never get in that accident. They will because there are just too many variables for the computers to take into account. They will still be magnitudes safer than human driven cars, but I would not bet on them being accident free.

I am pretty confident that an accident will happen in the very near future where an autonomous vehicle will be considered at least 50% at fault for the accident. And I am curious to see how the ensuing court case goes.

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Non theoretical moral dilemma [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if 1000 embryos were crossing the road? Should the car hit them?

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply

Prev Next