Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How is your Boston training going? [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fenway usually opens up 90 minutes before game time. Looks like the game is scheduled for an 11:05 start. There may be a pre-game ceremony that they’d like you in the stands for though.

Either way, you could walk into the game at noon and still enjoy a good hour or two of baseball.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brett runs wrote:
I think I've made a mistake. I've bought tickets to the baseball thinking it was an afternoon game and the marathon started early...it starts at 10am? Baseball says 11.05 on the website. Is that Gates open or gametime?

No real offense, but if you are running, you should know the start time. Boston actually used to start later and was moved to a 10am start. Same with the baseball game - I know it's an odd start time, but they do that every Patriots Day in Boston - times are pretty clear when you buy tickets.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: How is your Boston training going? [Stephensjer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Stephen, we have decided to sell the tickets and go on the saturday afternoon instead.

It's a shame cause we were really looking forward to the big day, coming from australia Ive never heard of a 10am marathon start so hadn't even considered that, my girlfriend bought the tickets to the baseball as she really wanted to go and she didnt see it was an 11am start time or know the marathon didnt start till 10am. Woops

In reply to Nate Thomas, I have just spent the last 5 months working on qualifying for team australia at ITU worlds which are here in australia later in the year. That took all of my focus and I really have given this marathon no thought at all until after I finished the last qualifying race this weekend just gone, so yes you're right I should know the start time and I do now so thanks for the advice.
Quote Reply
Re: How is your Boston training going? [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It was going great until three weeks ago...
At that point I was up to 15 mile long runs (on the treadmill sometimes) and training and racing hard in nordic skiing. After the Birkie, Feb 24, I hot the worst cold of by life and am just finally getting over it now. I haven't put in any hard runs since then, and my weekly run mileage dropped from 20 to 0-5.
I'm starting to build it back up again, yesterday I went for a three mile run at 2:45 min/mile over my goal marathon pace. I was trying to break 3:00 in Boston (qualified with 3:04:45) but may jut go for the finish now.
Quote Reply
Re: How is your Boston training going? [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Training has turned around!!

Kept a half decent base with being able to bike and swim, though started to get tired of the pool and the trainer......

Once I could run again, things really sucked muscle wise at first, 10k was leaving me with sore legs for days.

Amazing how quickly some of that goes.

Had an 88 km ( 55 mi ) week last week though, and my first 20 miler which went better than expected.

Getting closer and closer to my qualifying fitness despite less overall mileage and a much shorter ramp-up.

Just see if the body hold up!! 4 1/2 more weeks!

Oh and my wife and I bought baseball tickets for the day after we get to Boston, so we don't have to worry about the race messing with it for us!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brett runs wrote:
Actually wouldn't mind some advice from the local US athletes. The timing of this race sucks for me. My home town in australia has an ironman and 70.3 (same day) on May 6th.

I do really want to come back and do the 70.3 but I am planning 2 weeks travel post Boston. 3 nights in NYC, 3 nights Vegas, 2 nights driving LA to San Fran and 3 Nights in San Fran.

We get home on Monday April 30 which is race week. Is there anywhere in those locations I could potentially hire a bike or are there any indoor trainer studios in those areas that hire bikes so I could potentially get 2 rides a week in while I am away to maintain some bike fitness?

I've had very good success using spinlister. I've used it over in Europe several times and I've rented out my bike in NYC a handful of times too. NYC has a pretty decent selection and I'm sure Boston/LA/SF are good as well. https://www.spinlister.com/ If you want to spend a lot more money and want someone to show you the roads look up veloguide. Haven't used them, but it seems pretty cool if you have the $$.

All of those cities (Not sure about vegas though, maybe someone else can chime in) I know have lots of spin studios/classes as well, but probably not what you are looking for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do people prepare for cold weather like 0deg? I don't think I've ever run in that sort of temps before. Arm warmers? Is the weather expected to heat up a bit?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brett runs wrote:
How do people prepare for cold weather like 0deg? I don't think I've ever run in that sort of temps before. Arm warmers? Is the weather expected to heat up a bit?

It is pretty unlikely to be zero (32F). Average high is 55, low 40. Realize these are daily values, so when you start talking about temperatures between 10am and 3 pm, it is even more unlikely to see the daily low.
Right now it looks like temps are trending pretty average, which is actually good. If we get an "average" day in Boston the conditions should actually be quite good.

As far as how to prepare for lows, I dunno. Plan to have gloves you can toss, think about a wearing a long sleeve shirt?
Quote Reply
Re: How is your Boston training going? [dfquigley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last long run (16 miles) is tomorrow. I'm ready to start cutting back, marathon training takes a lot of focus and I totally threw this ski season in the shitter for the most part. Will be able to get a few spring days after the race.

Had a good streak weeks 10-13, hitting 50 miles every week. A few highlights:

Week 11: 8 miles at MP i@ 6:33, 6x1mile @ 6:05 pace, and 16 mile long run (hilly, 715' gain) @ 7:05 pace

Week 12: Half Marathon in 1:20:30, actually won the race! (only about 100 racers)

Week 13: 8.5 miles at MP in @ 6:32 pace, 15.5 mile long run (hilly, trails, 1880' gain) @ 7:39 pace

Week 14: 3x2mile 12:12, 12:01, 12:13, 9 miles @ MP 6:27 (felt really good, actually backed off the last 3 miles because I did not want to overdo it, even thought I felt like I could hammer). But only 34 miles for the week, because I took the whole weekend skiing (22K lift served descent Saturday, 12 mile, 2.5K alpine touring on Sunday), legs were trashed. Can't do this when you didn't ski all season.

Ran a horrible 2 x 2mile this Tuesday (didn't even bother with 3rd) and then bounced back on Thursday with 10 miles at MP @ 6:30. Will hit 58 miles this week.
Suffering through some allergy induced bronchitis right now, hopefully can kick it soon.

Found out I have to go to Italy for work the week before the race (I live in OR), flying directly to Boston from Europe the Thursday before the race.

Feel like 2:51 is a go, depending on what I do the next two weeks maybe I will feel like I could go for 2:49:59. I have a 10 miler at MP next Thursday, feel like I need to be @ 6:25 pace.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The weather app I'm currently looking at suggests the next 2 days are 0 Deg @ 10am. I hope you're right and it's a more average sort of day..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Last long run (16 miles) is tomorrow. I'm ready to start cutting back, marathon training takes a lot of focus and I totally threw this ski season in the shitter for the most part. Will be able to get a few spring days after the race.

Had a good streak weeks 10-13, hitting 50 miles every week. A few highlights:

Week 11: 8 miles at MP i@ 6:33, 6x1mile @ 6:05 pace, and 16 mile long run (hilly, 715' gain) @ 7:05 pace

Week 12: Half Marathon in 1:20:30, actually won the race! (only about 100 racers)

Week 13: 8.5 miles at MP in @ 6:32 pace, 15.5 mile long run (hilly, trails, 1880' gain) @ 7:39 pace

Week 14: 3x2mile 12:12, 12:01, 12:13, 9 miles @ MP 6:27 (felt really good, actually backed off the last 3 miles because I did not want to overdo it, even thought I felt like I could hammer). But only 34 miles for the week, because I took the whole weekend skiing (22K lift served descent Saturday, 12 mile, 2.5K alpine touring on Sunday), legs were trashed. Can't do this when you didn't ski all season.

Ran a horrible 2 x 2mile this Tuesday (didn't even bother with 3rd) and then bounced back on Thursday with 10 miles at MP @ 6:30. Will hit 58 miles this week.
Suffering through some allergy induced bronchitis right now, hopefully can kick it soon.

Found out I have to go to Italy for work the week before the race (I live in OR), flying directly to Boston from Europe the Thursday before the race.

Feel like 2:51 is a go, depending on what I do the next two weeks maybe I will feel like I could go for 2:49:59. I have a 10 miler at MP next Thursday, feel like I need to be @ 6:25 pace.

That's some solid work tri Yoda, what was your qualifying time? Do you know what coral you start in? Have you done any 5k time trials? I have absolutely no idea what my goal is or what is realistic for this race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's some pretty good training, though I'd say sub-2:50 might be a little bit of a stretch. Have you done Boston before?

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brett runs wrote:
The weather app I'm currently looking at suggests the next 2 days are 0 Deg @ 10am. I hope you're right and it's a more average sort of day..

I wouldn’t worry. We’ve had close to 40 inches in snow the last few weeks, but this is the time where things start to change pretty rapidly. It’ll likely be normal by the time you start the race.

But, it’s New England. So it could also snow again.
Last edited by: Stephensjer: Mar 25, 18 6:34
Quote Reply
Re: How is your Boston training going? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
That's some pretty good training, though I'd say sub-2:50 might be a little bit of a stretch. Have you done Boston before?

This is my 3rd Boston, last raced in 2009. Previous best there was a 2:58 high in 2005. That had been my marathon PR until I qualified for Boston 2018 (I have run 1:15/1:16 multiple times in the HM, but those days are past at this point; the 1:20 HM I recently ran is indicative of my current speed).

Qualified at CIM in Dec 2016 with a 2:53:23, racing out of corral 3 (#2068). My training is going better than for CIM, but I agree sub 2:50 might be a stretch. There is a certain Murphy's Law with a 2:49:XX on the books who needs to be bested though;)
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Mar 25, 18 10:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

This is my 3rd Boston, last raced in 2009. Previous best there was a 2:58 high in 2005. That had been my marathon PR until I qualified for Boston 2018 (I have run 1:15/1:16 multiple times in the HM, but those days are past at this point; the 1:20 HM I recently ran is indicative of my current speed).

Qualified at CIM in Dec 2016 with a 2:53:23, racing out of corral 3 (#2068). My training is going better than for CIM, but I agree sub 2:50 might be a stretch. There is a certain Murphy's Law with a 2:49:XX on the books who needs to be bested though;)

Ha, ok, good luck!

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply

Prev Next