Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Further evidence of French decline
Quote | Reply
Instead of saluting initiative, it's punished. Paris is flooded. Couple folks take to a canoe. Police fines them. Presumably after chasing them down in their own canoe/boat.

"Police have also fined people taking to canoes on the Seine in central Paris, and sternly ordered others in a tweet against such actions, calling them 'totally irresponsible'. "

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5321469/Paris-remains-high-alert-river-continues-rise.html

Last edited by: RangerGress: Jan 28, 18 7:56
Quote Reply
Re: Further evidence of French decline [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a high water mark for government control.

The link doesn't work for me, but I'd say I don't object to this one -- as a former whitewater kayaker and canoeist, floodwaters are super dangerous and people are fools. Every year many folks die trying to canoe, raft, or otherwise navigate floodwaters. Rescue efforts are expensive.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most places don't want people on on flooded rivers it can be dangerous... you forgot to include this in your qoute from the article.

"In Paris, cruise boat companies are suffering losses because all river traffic has been banned for days.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/...e.html#ixzz55VYROfAE
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: Further evidence of French decline [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anything "can" be dangerous. The question is "was it so very dangerous that people can't be allowed the freedom to exercise their own judgement and take the consequences?"

15yrs ago our street had drainage problem and would flood in heavy rain. Neighbor kids used to canoe around the neighborhood on the very placid flood waters. Was amusing to see a canoe go down the street.

The pics I saw of flooded-Paris looked as placid.

You guys are taking this kinda seriously. It was just a joke.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Although it's funny, it's also poor reporting. You're never allowed to canoe on the Seine in the city itself. Ironically, because of all the river traffic that exists on a normal day (and is obviously absent today).

It's been put in place a while back because of several accidents between smaller slow boats and larger ones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The question is "was it so very dangerous that people can't be allowed the freedom to exercise their own judgement and take the consequences?"
---

If emergency crews have to spend their time and resources to risk their lives because you're an idiot, then the ban is acceptable. It's not your judgement and consequence that's the problem but it's for those who have to save your sorry ass for exercising that bad judgement.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Further evidence of French decline [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
The question is "was it so very dangerous that people can't be allowed the freedom to exercise their own judgement and take the consequences?"
---

If emergency crews have to spend their time and resources to risk their lives because you're an idiot, then the ban is acceptable. It's not your judgement and consequence that's the problem but it's for those who have to save your sorry ass for exercising that bad judgement.

I'd have thought this was an obvious explanation, but I guess not. Perhaps some think a society should just let people die from their mistakes without any help.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Further evidence of French decline [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:
---

I'd have thought this was an obvious explanation, but I guess not. Perhaps some think a society should just let people die from their mistakes without any help.

Hmm. You guys make me feel old. Or maybe just "rural". "In my day" <g>, "we were pretty fair judges of risk, and when we err'd a bit we took our lumps w/o whining."

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm. You guys make me feel old. Or maybe just "rural". "In my day" <g>, "we were pretty fair judges of risk, and when we err'd a bit we took our lumps w/o whining."//

Ya my day too, we just let the kids drown in the river beds after rains. At least until that one kid who got in there and the helicopter news followed him for hours and hours, while every cop, fireman, and whoever tried to get him out of that overflowing river, to no avail. It was riveting TV for that went on and on, up until the time the river came towards the end and the last grate that separated the river trash from the ocean, and of course this poor kid who just wanted to go for a swim. He drowned pushed up against this grate on national TV, and not one person could do a thing to help him..

Now they pay me and lots of other guys like me who go through months and months of swift water rescue training, to stand by after these rains swell the aqueducts, and the same kids get out their boggie boards and decide it looks like fun. But they don't die anymore, at least not on our watches. Ahhh yes, the good ole days, when kids were allowed to kill themselves without any government interference...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This wasn't the one I described, but a cruel video of what I was talking about:

https://lacreekfreak.wordpress.com/...ary-concrete-rivers/
Quote Reply
Re: Further evidence of French decline [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Hmm. You guys make me feel old. Or maybe just "rural". "In my day" <g>, "we were pretty fair judges of risk, and when we err'd a bit we took our lumps w/o whining."//

Ya my day too, we just let the kids drown in the river beds after rains. At least until that one kid who got in there and the helicopter news followed him for hours and hours, while every cop, fireman, and whoever tried to get him out of that overflowing river, to no avail. It was riveting TV for that went on and on, up until the time the river came towards the end and the last grate that separated the river trash from the ocean, and of course this poor kid who just wanted to go for a swim. He drowned pushed up against this grate on national TV, and not one person could do a thing to help him..

Now they pay me and lots of other guys like me who go through months and months of swift water rescue training, to stand by after these rains swell the aqueducts, and the same kids get out their boggie boards and decide it looks like fun. But they don't die anymore, at least not on our watches. Ahhh yes, the good ole days, when kids were allowed to kill themselves without any government interference...

Yes, but what I saw in the pics was an entirely placid scene. I even said as much. You've invoked an entirely different image and than used it to beat me with. Two can play that rhetorical game. So I now create the scene of your ordinary bathtub. Lets call it a bit large so a canoe can fit in it, so guys do exactly that. Call your rescue helicopters. Call your law enforcement and emergency operations folks. As you stand there in your bathroom, horrified by the human drama that unfolds in front of you, see if those that sprinted to their aid don't end up mocking you.

For something that was really just a joke, you guys are taking this awful seriously.

Books @ Amazon
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jan 28, 18 17:48
Quote Reply