Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

12 Strong
Quote | Reply
Wife dragged me and #1 son to the movie last night. Was surprisingly good.

12 Strong is the story of one of the small groups Green Beret types that went to Afghanistan after 9-11. Their mission was to liaise with the locals, in this case the Northern Alliance, and push the Taliban our of N. Afghanistan. I think that all of America was vaguely aware that we had Green Beret types in-country working that mission, and that they were critical in the lightning-fast victories of the previously hard-pressed Northern Alliance (much more Northern then it was Allied). Those victories were the start of rolling back Taliban power in Afghanistan.

I've no special knowledge of any of the details. I was not a Green Beret type nor was I in Afghanistan. Working with the indigenous forces, is the classic Green Beret mission. Round peg, round hole.

The reviews weren't too kind to the movie, so I almost didn't go. Sure, it had some weaknesses but the general ideas were, I thought, pretty darn good. Americans imagine that our massive military goes places and bends folks to their will with little effort. The reality is often shoestring operations led by hard chargers, with powerful little manpower and logistical support, too much input from higher, and trying to execute the mission with little good intelligence re. wtf is going on and the personalities involved.

Everyone should see it.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jan 27, 18 14:45
Quote Reply
Re: 12 Strong [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An entirely different take but still about Afghanistan, I just watched "War Machine" with Brad Pitt. I've always liked Pitt and thought this was one of his best since since "Inglorious Basterds".
Quote Reply
Re: 12 Strong [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cerveloguy wrote:
An entirely different take but still about Afghanistan, I just watched "War Machine" with Brad Pitt. I've always liked Pitt and thought this was one of his best since since "Inglorious Basterds".
I really disliked Inglorious Bastards. Unless it's intent was to be idiotic. If that's the case, it was "mission accomplished", I suppose.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Re: 12 Strong [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
cerveloguy wrote:

I really disliked Inglorious Bastards. Unless it's intent was to be idiotic. If that's the case, it was "mission accomplished", I suppose.

Well, people either really like Tarantino's films or they don't. I just happen to be one of those who likes his work. The film was fairly well received by the critics (not that their opinions really matter).

https://en.wikipedia.org/...Inglourious_Basterds
Quote Reply
Re: 12 Strong [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
<shrugs shoulders> Maybe it was supposed to be a parody.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply