Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bicycling mag..unbiased journalism
Quote | Reply
So I was surprised to see, several weeks ago, a big article in Bicycling mag touting the benefits of the "South Beach" diet for cyclists. (Say what? No science, no comparison with other popular diets, no analysis of the benefits over time, no analysis by a professional nutritionist...)

I was bothered to see, in the same issue, a HUGE ad for "The South Beach Diet" book. OK, I know that bike mag editors are always in the somewhat conflicted position of accepting advertising $$ from companies whose products they review...but a diet? And only one diet? I felt sort of cheated out of the $$ I spent for the mag.

Then I found out this morning that Rodale press (the publisher of Bicycling) PUBLISHES "The SouthBeach Diet".

This just seems wrong. I think they should have at least included a disclaimer.

Leigh
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycling mag..unbiased journalism [Cyborg42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is ridiculous .... as you say it appears to be way past the "fine line" of accepting advertising dollars while reviewing the same product. I have not read the article.

Here is a diet for you: Don't stuff your face like a fat $lob, get a little exercise and you might not have to eat through a straw for two months.

Alternative B would be a diet of just Peanut butter and banana sandwiches the "King's" favorite.

T.C.B
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any idea that Bicycling magazine is not exclusively advertising oriented in their editorial policies is utterly naive. The publication is the very definition of an "infomertial".

There isn't anything wrong with that as long as people know it. To call what they do "journalism" isn't entirely accurate in the strictest sense of the word. But then again, given what happened at "The New York Times" this past year the definition of what is "journalism" seems pretty fluid.

You're right though, in my opinion, Bicycling is pretty uninteresting.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycling mag..unbiased journalism [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The publication is the very definition of an "infomertial".

There isn't anything wrong with that as long as people know it

Yes, well, my point was, everyone couldn't know this because it wasn't disclosed. You are obviously very familiar with the industry and publications, but what about those people less "in the know"? In many other magazines, when ad copy is created to look like editorial content there is a heading at the top that says "advertisment".

And this is beyond having an advertising based editorial policy, this was blatant promotion of their own branded product.

I know the Weider publications do this all the time. I just wanted to alert those who read the board who may not have known that about this publication in particular. (they also publish Runner's World, BTW)
Last edited by: Cyborg42: Jan 13, 04 12:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stopped subscribing to Bicycling a while back- IMHO it's just trash. I used to also subscribe to SCUBA Diving, also by Rodale's, and also cancelled that several years ago after I got sick of the same nonsensical trash month after month. I agree that to call anything by this publisher "journalism" is to insult any true journalist. Just look at their "reviews" of product- nowhere in any review have I actually ever seen an opinion of the product. I don't think they even test them. Hell, they probably don't even actually get one in their hands. Their review looks like it consists of going to the manufacturer's website and copying and pasting the marketing blurb. Oh, I forgot the last step in their review- cash the check from the mfgr.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycling mag..unbiased journalism [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Funny thing...in Bicycling's review - what ever the first add is in the magazine for the last 5 years has also been the "Top Bike" in their yearly review.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the term we are all searching for is 'advitorial' or part advertisement and part 'editorial.' You need not look as far as Bicycling...just look at Triathlete. All the 'product reviews' are just a regurgitation of all the advertisers products. Ever see O'Neill wetsuits in the 'product review' when they do wetsuits? Guess who doesn't bother to advertise with Triathlete? Coincidence? Please.

While we are talking about Triathlete, who decided to put that photo on the cover? Man is that a bad shot. I find it even more interesting that Peter Reid still wears his wedding ring but Lori does not. What's up with that, I know you are split up but not divorced yet, eh? Anyway, getting back to the photo, I just can't imagine sitting at the light table with hundreds of slides and choosing that one...is it just me?
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycling mag..unbiased journalism [snepper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think most magazines are guilty of this to a degree, although the Rodale rags seem to be a bit more blatant than others. For good reviews, I tend to like the British publications, they seem to be a bit less afraid of getting sued or something for printing that they don't like a product. 220 magazine is pretty good for a tri mag, and procycling for road stuff. Procycling often gets the technical details wrong, but I trust their impressions, particularly as they have ex-pros reviewing bikes (Chris Boardman, Marcel Wust).
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycling mag..unbiased journalism [jasonk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have noticed this problem but I didn't renew my subscription because they rag triathletes every time we are mentioned and some times seem to go out of their way to do so. One I can remember right now is a "review" of the Kestrel Talon which was favorable but at the end said something to the order triathletes need something to help them look good.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycling mag..unbiased journalism [snepper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
{While we are talking about Triathlete, who decided to put that photo on the cover? } reply

Yeah, there probably was a better photo of Lori (hell, there was one inside) for the cover, but I thought she looked pretty damn good. Nice new haircut too! She won't be single for long I bet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rodale press went down the toilet after Bob Rodale died - the press was bought by a bunch of bottom-line-profiteers with black ink as the drug of choice, and it's been declining ever since. RW just kicked the estimable Amby Burfoot out of the editors' seat, and replaced him with some dim bulb jogger journalist.

Bob Rodale was a good man:
http://www.dep.state.pa.us/dep/pa_env-her/rodale_bio.htm

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycling mag..unbiased journalism [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So anyone have a good running mag to recommend?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vo2mag if you can read french...
lots of interesting info, very few ads...
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycling mag..unbiased journalism [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...um, in English?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haven't seen any good ones in english....I gave the only one I thought was really good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use Bicycling to wipe my ass.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycling mag..unbiased journalism [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish you would stop equivocating and tell us how you really feel.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycling mag..unbiased journalism [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Tibbs, doesn't that slick magazine paper clog your toilet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I wish you would stop equivocating and tell us how you really feel."

Uh yeah. Pretty gross huh. I will be more classy in the future. Maybe. I'll try.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While we're recommending mags... what's a good MTB mag?

I know there are a couple of XTerra types around here.
Quote Reply
Re: Bicycling mag..unbiased journalism [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, quite a bit of journalism is influenced by advertising dollars. I am a former newspaper editor, and I am currently a freelancer for a local paper in my hometown. In my career, I have often caught flack for stories/columns/editorials that said negative things about advertisers. For example, when I was an editor, I wrote a column about how much I disliked cell phones. It wasn't too scathing -- just a few of my thoughts about the ridiculous monthly plans, lack of service in our area, things like that. When I submitted it to the publisher for review, she edited it heavily and really watered it down. Why? Alltel and Cellular One (now Verizon Wireless) were big advertisers, and our advertising revenue was more important than my freedom of speech. I also wrote a column for my "new" newspaper about which restaurant had the best double cheeseburger in town. It was a funny piece that described what I look for in a double cheeseburger (which was one of my favorite foods before I read Fast Food Nation). It never made it into print because this publisher didn't want to offend any of the restuarants, which also happened to be advertisers, that did not serve burgers that fit my criteria. So this kind of thing is pretty widespread. It's not right, and I don't like that either of those columns were edited and/or omitted from publication. But it happens all over the place, though some publications are more blatant than others about it (such as the Weider magazines).

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"So anyone have a good running mag to recommend?"

Running Times is a good magazine, if a little dry. If you're in the Southeast, the Running Journal is pretty good, too.

Track and Field News is also pretty cool, though the focus is pretty narrow.

I would agree that Runners World and Bicycling are pretty much worthless. Like the other poster said, the UK rags like 220, Cyclesport, and Procycling are great, but pretty expensive here in the US.
Quote Reply