Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Moving to Alaska....Driving from lower 48; advice, experiences, recommendations
Quote | Reply
This spring my fiancé is flying down and we are driving back to Alaska from Wisconsin to finish my move. We are living just north of Anchorage.

For the drive we are starting in Madison and plan to go Glacier, Banff, Jasper, then up to Alaska. We are on a slight time budget (7-8 days).

Anyone have any experience moving or driving up to Alaska? We want to make the drive as awesome as possible. Areas to stop, good campgrounds on the route? Things we should plan for/expect?

I have moved a handful of my items up already and will be packing my Prius full of the rest of the stuff (yeah poor car choice 4 years ago :). The remainder will be shipped or flown via my fiancés last 2 trips down here since we fly Alaska Airlines and are not charge excess bag fees.

Any and all advice is appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Alaska....Driving from lower 48; advice, experiences, recommendations [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bring lots of guns in your car and don't declare them. Canadian border security really likes that.

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Alaska....Driving from lower 48; advice, experiences, recommendations [bcagle25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sell the Prius in WI, fly up.

No Joke, depending on how late in the spring, it may still be winter up in most of these areas you are looking at visiting.

Oh and don't buy another Prius.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sell the prius and get a 4wd 4 door tacoma. The batteries wont do well in the cold. might as well get rid of it now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
This spring my fiancé is flying down and we are driving back to Alaska from Wisconsin to finish my move. We are living just north of Anchorage.

For the drive we are starting in Madison and plan to go Glacier, Banff, Jasper, then up to Alaska. We are on a slight time budget (7-8 days).

Anyone have any experience moving or driving up to Alaska? We want to make the drive as awesome as possible. Areas to stop, good campgrounds on the route? Things we should plan for/expect?

I have moved a handful of my items up already and will be packing my Prius full of the rest of the stuff (yeah poor car choice 4 years ago :). The remainder will be shipped or flown via my fiancés last 2 trips down here since we fly Alaska Airlines and are not charge excess bag fees.

Drive to Seattle, sell the Prius to some dopey Seattleites.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Alaska....Driving from lower 48; advice, experiences, recommendations [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol I had a feeling everyone said to sell the Prius, won't happen. Fiancé has a Subaru so for vehicles we are all set.

Temps where we will live are not very different from Wisconsin, in fact is has been warmer in Alaska this year vs Wisconsin so I'm not too worries about the Prius. We plan to drive that car into the ground over the next 10-12 years.

Anyway onto the route,

Best way to ship bikes, we are planning on bikeflights right now, seems most reasonable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get block heater installed on cars so u can plug them in at night and they will be 'startable' in morning.

When i get back from this next trip to asscrackistan i am gonna ride the moto up the ALCAN to the arctic circle and do some fly fishing along the way. It looks like a great journey.

best of luck

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bcagle25 wrote:
Lol I had a feeling everyone said to sell the Prius, won't happen. Fiancé has a Subaru so for vehicles we are all set.

Temps where we will live are not very different from Wisconsin, in fact is has been warmer in Alaska this year vs Wisconsin so I'm not too worries about the Prius. We plan to drive that car into the ground over the next 10-12 years.

Anyway onto the route,

Best way to ship bikes, we are planning on bikeflights right now, seems most reasonable.

And I live in Minnesota....temps isn't an issue, its driving through mountain ranges and in the middle of nowhere. You have a car issue or gets stuck in a late spring snowstorm, next roadside assistance is 200 miles down the road.
Last edited by: AndysStrongAle: Jan 26, 18 6:57
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Alaska....Driving from lower 48; advice, experiences, recommendations [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And I live in Minnesota....temps isn't an issue, its driving through mountain ranges and in the middle of nowhere. You have a car issue or gets stuck in a late spring snowstorm, next roadside assistance is 200 miles down the road.

^^This. My sister-in-law and her husband did the drive going from Anchorage down to FL when he was in the Coast Guard and moving to his next duty station. While driving through the mountains (I think they were in the Yukon Territory), they were descending on a corner through a mountain pass and a huge ram darted in front of them, almost sending them off the road. Pretty remote stretch of highway where no help would have been immediately available had they needed it.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
60 hour drive the "fast" way and you aren't taking that, so budgeting 7-8 days means you aren't going to have much time to stop. I suspect 70+ hours drive time, worse if the weather is crappy. Depending on when you are going, on your side will be daylingt getting longer the farther you go.

Glacier NP is beautiful, but most of what you want to see is off the main road. Some may be open, some not, depending on how late you are going. It has been a big snow year in the Flathead Valley. VERY unlikely that the Going-To-The-Sun road will be open, unless you go REALLY late spring (like July).

The Provincial campsites in British Columbia are better than those in Alberta. The sites in National Parks are all decent, but keep an eye on the facilities available. Some don't have much more than an outhouse, some have showers. etc, that may or may not be open (again, depending on when you go). Snow is still very possible well into May. You can check some other threads for Banff/Jasper activities/campsites.

Not sure which way you are going, but once you are past Prince George or Fort St. John, civilization gets pretty sparse. Snow is likely. Don't rely on cell service to be there when you need it. It might be wise to have an extra tire or two and some gas. Road quality varies greatly.

Not trying to be your nanny, but I wouldn't do that drive in a Prius. Have fun!

"I keep hoping for you to use your superior intellect to be less insufferable. Sadly, you continue to disappoint." - gofigure
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Alaska....Driving from lower 48; advice, experiences, recommendations [sonofdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You mentioned cell service. Some people use their cell phone for GPS/maps. That doesn't work in areas that have no cell service. Make sure you have a GPS.

You also might want to make sure the GPS works in Canada. I've heard their land-based satellites aren't worth a crap. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Alaska....Driving from lower 48; advice, experiences, recommendations [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
You mentioned cell service. Some people use their cell phone for GPS/maps. That doesn't work in areas that have no cell service. Make sure you have a GPS.

You also might want to make sure the GPS works in Canada. I've heard their land-based satellites aren't worth a crap. :)

GPS will work without cell service, so all you need to do is download the maps for the areas you want to your phone and you are good to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Alaska....Driving from lower 48; advice, experiences, recommendations [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trimick wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

GPS will work without cell service, so all you need to do is download the maps for the areas you want to your phone and you are good to go.

I did not know that - thanks for correcting me. I just googled it and read up on it. The reason I thought that is because a friend of mine was running insurance claims in Nebraska about 3-4 years ago. He used his phone for mapping, but it quit working when he was out of cell range. It makes me think that maybe he was using older technology that didn't use GPS.

I learned something new today. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Alaska....Driving from lower 48; advice, experiences, recommendations [trimick] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That of course assumes you know how to read a map and don't require that friendly voice telling you to take a right on first street :).

Ryan
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Alaska....Driving from lower 48; advice, experiences, recommendations [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've heard of people using these paper based navigation devices called "road atlases".

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Do not miss Liard Hot Springs. It's a great way to rest and relax. Plan to soak, then sleep.

2) A number of my friends have Priuses. They do fine in Alaska; don't worry about it, beyond the normal winterizing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We did a big road trip a few years ago, so these were a couple of our stops. We stayed longer but you are pressed for time.

Day one The Badlands, you can camp for free

Day two 1500 Fairmont Rd Anaconda Mt 59711 Hotel with a hot springs pool, water slide, nice town to drive into for a pizza.

Day three Glacier National park, hike to St. Marys Falls

Day four Calgary, eat dinner at the Himalayan, see the Olympic venues.

Day five Banff, we only drove through, stopping for lunch along the way

After that it's all new to me.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Alaska....Driving from lower 48; advice, experiences, recommendations [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
Sell the Prius in WI, fly up.

No Joke, depending on how late in the spring, it may still be winter up in most of these areas you are looking at visiting.

Oh and don't buy another Prius.

He could ship the Prius but that would cost more than the car is worth.
Quote Reply
Re: Moving to Alaska....Driving from lower 48; advice, experiences, recommendations [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
bcagle25 wrote:

Drive to Seattle, sell the Prius to some dopey Seattleites.

If Halvard hasn't been laid off he'll be in the market!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I rode my bike from the Alaska/Yukon border down to Glacier Park, lots of great camping (I usually wild camped) and fantastic scenery. The car traffic can be heavy in Glacier and the Icefield Parkway from Banff to Jasper but going north, there are great secondary roads where you can avoid a lot of cars.

Just take your time and you can't go wrong.
Quote Reply