Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone using Hotwire/Better Bidding these days?
Quote | Reply
Going back around 10 years ago I stumbled across references to Hotwire and Better Bidding websites on this forum as recommendations for securing cheap accommodation. I ended up using it for a 2010 Canada trip and also booked accommodation for my parents and brother a few years later (also in North America). I recall it being very successful in securing the places I was after and at nicely discounted rates (on published figures).

Just wondering whether the websites are still a useful way of getting cheap accommodation or if there are much better ways these days (I don't travel that much!).
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Hotwire/Better Bidding these days? [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AirBnB

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second Airbnb. It seems hotwire's discounts aren't really that great when you add on their fees. I have found near identical prices comparing hotwire with any old travel site - sometimes even just the hotel website itself.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use Hotwire for all my trips.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Hotwire/Better Bidding these days? [Erin C.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use hotwire for most car rentals. Tends to be a little cheaper to a LOT cheaper, but there is no cancellation like other car rentals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hotwire still tends to give a better rate if you use their hotrates. If you do a little research you can guess which hotel they are going to put you in. Many times though I have been put across from the laundry or near the stairwell and of course it is nonrefundable. AirBandB for overseas no question. Far more for the same money.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Hotwire/Better Bidding these days? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
Hotwire still tends to give a better rate if you use their hotrates. If you do a little research you can guess which hotel they are going to put you in. Many times though I have been put across from the laundry or near the stairwell and of course it is nonrefundable. AirBandB for overseas no question. Far more for the same money.

That was my recollection of how I used it. I used the BB website to do the research and from memory was 100% over about 8-10 selections made.

When you say you use ABnB for overseas is that simply because Hotwire doesn't have the same reach there? For example on my case (looking for the north American trip), you'd use Hotwire?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mv2005 wrote:
knewbike wrote:

That was my recollection of how I used it. I used the BB website to do the research and from memory was 100% over about 8-10 selections made.

When you say you use ABnB for overseas is that simply because Hotwire doesn't have the same reach there? For example on my case (looking for the north American trip), you'd use Hotwire?

Overseas is more of a vacation/ culture thing for me and wife so we don't want to stay in hotels. Not sure what Hotwires reach is there. We recently did an east coast college tour and only stayed for a day at a time in places so Hotwire was the way to go. $90 for fancy hotel in DC among others. If you are staying many days in one place then look at what airBandB has up. Often they have minimum 2 day or longer stay.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using Hotwire/Better Bidding these days? [knewbike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knewbike wrote:
mv2005 wrote:
knewbike wrote:

Overseas is more of a vacation/ culture thing for me and wife so we don't want to stay in hotels. Not sure what Hotwires reach is there. We recently did an east coast college tour and only stayed for a day at a time in places so Hotwire was the way to go. $90 for fancy hotel in DC among others. If you are staying many days in one place then look at what airBandB has up. Often they have minimum 2 day or longer stay.

Ah got it!

I suspect we'd be on the move for the most part so might be restricted on using ABnB. Though I could see the savings coming from being able to get everyone under one roof rather than trying to book two rooms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hotwire is still my baseline.

If I'm going somewhere, I start by looking at prices on Hotwire and use that as the basis of comparison for AirBnb, other websites likes Expedia, etc. I still end up booking with Hotwire about 50 to 60% of the time.

I've only been bitten once, in Huntsville last year. Booked a room and everyone else was getting a specific hotel (a few people over the course of a week). I booked and got a crappy one downtown. I still just view a hotel as a place to stay as we're out doing stuff anyways.
Quote Reply