Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Suggested bike route thru Santa Cruz?
Quote | Reply
I'm riding SF-Santa Barbara with some friends this weekend (ala Slowman training method) and hear getting through Santa Cruz can be confusing. Does anyone know the area and can suggest a route or know where I can find route info?

Thanks, Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: Suggested bike route thru Santa Cruz? [cmetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Charlie,

I rode LA-SF-LA from December 12-22. Yes, I was very lucky with the weather during that period...

Anyway, it's a beautiful ride. I wish I would have time to do this again in Febuary... I had a map from Adventure Cycling (http://www.adventurecycling.org) and it was a great help at times. However, I realized that it is just as easy by following your nose. You are up North, you have to go South, so just take streets running parallel to the Ocean. Make sure you don't take streets that are too close to the Ocean as they sometimes turn into dead ends. There are also plenty of bike path signs around.

But if you want, here are the direction from the map:
  • Take the 1 into Santa Cruz
  • Turn left onto Kings Street
  • Right onto Laurel St. cross San Lorenzo River, continue on Broadway
  • Turn left onto Fredericks St.
  • Right onto Soquel Ave, cross the 1 and continue on Soquel Dr (for a while until you get to Aptos)
  • Take Freedom Blvd in the direction of Ocean
  • Turn Left onto Bonita Dr and continue on San Adreas
  • From there its very easy, just follow the Bike Signs

I hope this helps, but seriously, don't worry about it. Follow your nose and you will be fine.

Do you need info about cheap places to stay?

Daniel

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Last edited by: theswiss: Jan 13, 04 10:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Charlie,
As you enter town from the north, you are on Hwy 1. where it becomes Mission St. As you cross Bay (less than a quarter mile down), there is a bike shop on the left called Sprockets. The owners, Phil and Kathy (not me...) can give you excellent and precise directions. There really are any number of ways you can go, depending upon your objectives: food, coffee, breaks, or passing right on through.

Have a safe trip and let us know how it goes!
Kathy
Quote Reply
Re: Suggested bike route thru Santa Cruz? [Kathy M.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys! I'm part of a group of friends heading through town on Saturday, only there has never been consensus on the best route through town. We are ending up that night at the Holiday Inn, Seaside so housing is all set.

Many thanks, have a great long weekend!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Charlie,

When do you expect to arrive in Santa Cruz? I could ride up North to meet you then ride with you through town. Let me know!
Quote Reply