Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is Ahmadinejad Unhinged? ("Iranian President Calls Holocaust a Myth")
Quote | Reply
How long do you think Israel is going to sit back and take this, given that Iran might have the capability to produce nuclear weapons in the very near future? One thing's for sure, the U.S. and the EU need to be on the same page on this one, FAST (whichever 'page' they decide on is fine with me, as long as it's some kind of page).

Oh, yeah......any takers on the bet that this guy really wasn't one of those Iranian hostage takers?

Iran president draws criticism for calling Holocaust a 'myth' TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran's hard-line president lashed out with a new outburst at Israel on Wednesday, calling the Nazi Holocaust a "myth" used as a pretext for carving out a Jewish state in the heart of the Muslim world.

President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's comments drew quick condemnations from Israel, the United States and Europe, which warned he is hurting Iran's position in talks aimed at resolving suspicions about his regime's nuclear program.

The White House said his remarks showed why Iran must not be allowed to develop nuclear weapons. Germany, one of three European Union countries leading the nuclear talks, called his statements "shocking and unacceptable."

Iran and the Europeans are due to resume the U.S.-backed negotiations soon, possibly in late December, trying to find a compromise on reining in Tehran's nuclear program and avoiding a confrontation.

Washington says Iran is secretly trying to build warheads. Iran says its nuclear program is peaceful, and Ahmadinejad reiterated Wednesday that his regime refuses to give up key processes that can produce weapons-grade material as well as fuel for atomic reactors that generate electricity.

It was difficult to measure the impact that increasing anger over Ahmadinejad might have on the negotiations.

The Europeans have not threatened to call off the talks, which they see as vital to a peaceful resolution of fears over Iran's nuclear ambitions. But Ahmadinejad's words, which come as the top U.N. nuclear watchdog agency has said it is losing patience with Tehran, could lead Europe to take a tougher stance.

So far, Ahmadinejad has appeared to only escalate his rhetoric in the face of widespread international criticism, suggesting he may be seeking to fire up supporters at home.

Some allies warn that he is isolating the country when it needs support for its nuclear program. But supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, who has final word on all matters, has stood by the president, even calling this week for Palestinian militants to step up their fight to drive Israelis out of Jerusalem.

Ahmadinejad provoked an outcry in October when he called for Israel to be "wiped off the map." When that drew international anger, he responded by holding large anti-Israel rallies.

Last week, he expressed doubt about Nazi Germany's slaughter of 6 million European Jews during World War II, raising a new storm of criticism. On Wednesday, he went a step further and said for the first time that he didn't believe the Holocaust happened.

During a tour of southeastern Iran, Ahmadinejad said that if Europeans insist the Holocaust occurred, then they are responsible and should pay the price.

"Today, they have created a myth in the name of Holocaust and consider it to be above God, religion and the prophets," Ahmadinejad told thousands of people in Zahedan. "If you committed this big crime, then why should the oppressed Palestinian nation pay the price?"

"This is our proposal: If you committed the crime, then give a part of your own land in Europe, the United States, Canada or Alaska to them so that the Jews can establish their country," he said.

The White House said Ahmadinejad's words "only underscore why it is so important that the international community continue to work together to keep Iran from developing nuclear weapons."

Israeli Foreign Ministry spokesman Mark Regev said the speech illustrated "the mind-set of the ruling clique in Tehran and indicate clearly the extremist policy goals of the regime."

The German government summoned the Iranian charge d'affaires to express its displeasure.

"I cannot hide the fact that this weighs on bilateral relations and on the chances for the negotiation process," Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier said in Berlin.

In unusually strong comments, the president of the European Union's administrative body, Jose Manuel Barroso, said Iranians "do not have the president, or the regime, they deserve."

"It calls our attention to the real danger of that regime having an atomic bomb," Barroso added.

EU foreign ministers were likely to discuss Ahmadinejad's comments during an EU summit Thursday, commission spokeswoman Emma Udwin said.

Inside Iran, moderates have called on the Islamic cleric-led regime to rein in the president. His election in June sealed the long decline of Iran's reform movement, which had largely dropped the harsh anti-Israeli and anti-U.S. rhetoric of the 1979 Islamic Revolution and sought to build international ties.

In his speech, Ahmadinejad also took aim at the United States and the West, saying they had harmed Muslims.

"If your civilization consists of aggression, making oppressed people homeless, suffocating the voices of justice and bringing poverty to a majority of the world's people, we say loudly that we hate your hollow civilization," he said.

T.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ahmadinejad Unhinged? ("Iranian President Calls Holocaust a Myth") [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Saw that today... clearly appears to be a nutjob, though I wonder if it isn't some sort of political maneuvering. Either way, he seems fairly unstable (and apparently is a devotee of some messaianic Shi'ite offshoot)... I don't have a lot of hope of reform in Iran for the time being and wouldn't be surpised if we or the Israelis didn't conduct some kind of military action against them in the next 5 years.

Let's leave Iraq after tomorrow's election and just head over there to where the real danger is and always was.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ahmadinejad Unhinged? ("Iranian President Calls Holocaust a Myth") [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I said in a different thread, I've been concerned about the various regimes over there since the late 70's, at least. My experience with the majority of the people, though, has been a little different. Most of them, outside of the 'revolutionary elite', seem to be genuinely nice, and as concerned about the direction their country's taken over the last 25 years as the wider world is.

Like you, I'm not too hopeful.

T.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ahmadinejad Unhinged? ("Iranian President Calls Holocaust a Myth") [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting article on the guy

http://msnbc.msn.com/...13618/site/newsweek/

Let's leave Iraq after tomorrow's election and just head over there to where the real danger is and always was.

I'm for that. These guys are the real deal, no doubt. I'd say that if they had the means to deal us a seriously incapacitating blow, they'd take it in a heartbeat.

T.
Last edited by: big kahuna: Dec 14, 05 15:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mel Gibson's Father says the Holocaust never happened too. FYI, doesn't have anything to do with being Iranian.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
"If you committed this big crime, then why should the oppressed Palestinian nation pay the price?"

"This is our proposal: If you committed the crime, then give a part of your own land in Europe, the United States, Canada or Alaska to them so that the Jews can establish their country," he said.

You may not like it, but there is logic here, as least as it relates to Germany. The US, Canada, and that other soverign nation Alaska :) were not responsible for the Holocaust. Other bad stuff maybe, but not that.

By calling it a "myth" he baits (we Internet people say "trolls") Germany and the rest of the world into committing to the position that it is not a myth, and therefore the "if" part of his premise is satisfied.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Ahmandinejad unhinged? Does the pope shit in the woods? Is a bear a catholic?

Wait a minute....whatever.....yes, the guy is a loon.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ahmadinejad Unhinged? ("Iranian President Calls Holocaust a Myth") [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Quote:
"If you committed this big crime, then why should the oppressed Palestinian nation pay the price?"

You may not like it, but there is logic here, as least as it relates to Germany. The US, Canada, and that other soverign nation Alaska :) were not responsible for the Holocaust. Other bad stuff maybe, but not that.

By calling it a "myth" he baits (we Internet people say "trolls") Germany and the rest of the world into committing to the position that it is not a myth, and therefore the "if" part of his premise is satisfied.

Responsible, no. Complicit to some extent, yes (see, for example, the St. Louis tragedy).

I think that Ahmadinejad is trying to appeal to the Arab "street", where many still believe in a Zionist world conspiracy (see "Protocols of the Elders of Zion", for example) and do actually deny the Holocaust. By doing so, he may be attempting to set up support in the eventuality of a US invasion of, an Israeli attack on, or sanctions against Iran.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long do you think Israel is going to sit back and take this, given that Iran might have the capability to produce nuclear weapons in the very near future?

I'd like to see Israeli planes bomb Iraning nuclear producing plants. I wish it would happen this weekened. Seeing Israeli planes over Iranian airspace would be a cool thing. Do you think they have the guts to act based on some wacko statement? And guess what, we're right next door to help clean up the jewish/islamic thing once more for Israel. I think we're their lap dogs.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ahmadinejad Unhinged? ("Iranian President Calls Holocaust a Myth") [tritnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A strike on Iran from Israel has many logistical challenges not to mention the fact that even with the bombs we sold Iran the facilities they have built are too deep to be destroyed by bombs and are dispersed throught the country with some in residential areas. This is an issue that we have likely let get too far and I think it is probably inevitable they will get them becaus there is no reasonable way to stop it. Some people say Iran has purchased nukes, some say they will be producing their own by March, some say more than a year. Well, considering how our last gaze into the crystal ball of WMDs went who wants to roll the dice on if they do or don't? If you are wrong the damage will be enormous.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ahmadinejad Unhinged? ("Iranian President Calls Holocaust a Myth") [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This is an issue that we have likely let get too far and I think it is probably inevitable they will get them becaus there is no reasonable way to stop it. Some people say Iran has purchased nukes, some say they will be producing their own by March, some say more than a year. Well, considering how our last gaze into the crystal ball of WMDs went who wants to roll the dice on if they do or don't? If you are wrong the damage will be enormous.
Just curious about your position on the Iraq war. Justified? (In hindsight or otherwise). Your logic here ("If you are wrong the damage will be enormous.") would seem to support the Iraq invasion. I am not taking a position one way or the other, just inquiring.
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ahmadinejad Unhinged? ("Iranian President Calls Holocaust a Myth") [tritnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I'd like to see Israeli planes bomb Iraning nuclear producing plants. I wish it would happen this weekened

OMG! That would be super fun as long as it did not interfere with the Dolphins game. The first few days of the Iraq war were super fun, too. Then it became like, so bummer, because there were all these hot guys, who were like, not living any more?

Last edited by: Monk: Dec 15, 05 9:53
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ahmadinejad Unhinged? ("Iranian President Calls Holocaust a Myth") [Monk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I supported the war when it started. I am embarrassed for our country and angry that we committed to it with such horrible information. I don't believe we were intentionally lied to just to start a war though. I would love for them to come home now but think we are forced to ride this out a bit further. My comment about the damage was mostly aimed at the idea that if we are wrong in the opposite direction we where about Iraq and Iran does have a nuke by the time we do something then we will have a real problem because I don't think the people in power in Iran would hesitate to much to use one. I think you have to take the threats coming from Iran very serious and as more than just a lunatic. A muslim cleric in Iran recently stated "'[The] application of an atomic bomb would not leave anything in Israel - but the same thing would just produce damages in the Muslim world,'" Hashemi-Rafsanjani said" That is scary
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Merry Christmas and all, but shouldn't we just go and nuke Iran, and probably Syria and maybe even Saudia Arabia and get it over with now? I mean, just about every country that is Islamist based is screwed up and will remain screwed up because they are based on a fundamentally flawed religion. Muslims are killing more Muslims in Iraq right now than coalition troops. Muslims kill Muslims in India and Pakistan on a continual basis over centuries old feuds between Shiites and Sunnis. Yet, every Muslim apparently sees red if a single Muslim is killed by a non-Muslim.

My brother is finishing his second tour in Baghdad this month. His version of what the U.S. has accomplished along with all the other information passed my way through the connections based on his presence over there, paints a far different picture than what is portrayed in both the domestic and international news. I am very proud of what he has done and accomplished as well as of what the U.S. has done in a practically impossible situation. However, I am equally convinced that it will all go for naught, as the Iraqies are already sliding back to a Koran dominated constitution and judicial system. Iraqies barely seem to be able to stand up for themselves now, without the U.S./coalition presence, I see them sliding back to a government based on domination and violence.

Iran has been ruled by Islamic fundamental clergists since the late '70s with little change. The previous president was a moderate who failed to soften the official stance, and in so failing, lost the support of the younger generation. They now have this new guy who is fomenting another war with Israel, basically asking someone to step up to the plate and tee off against the Zionist squatters. This is progress?

Syria and Jordan send their fair share of insurgents, PC for blood thirsty Islamic fundamentalists to Iraq, as well as Saudia Arabia, another country that does not bear close scrutiny. While I don't belive the basic story line in the movie Syrianna, anyone who follows the goings on in Saudia Arabia or has spoken with Westerners who have lived there, has to have an uncomfortable feeeling about this critical Persion Gulf friend.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: Is Ahmadinejad Unhinged? ("Iranian President Calls Holocaust a Myth") [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(see "Protocols of the Elders of Zion", for example)

I once spent a good 20 minutes trying to convince an Arab cab driver (who was very friendly and loved America) that the Protocols were a hoax. I'm not sure he really believed me.