Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Starbucks latest to raise wages and stock grants, too
Quote | Reply
Following the lead of Wal-Mart and several others SBUX is raising wages and giving stock grants, too.

This is the same company who's former CEO is rumored to be one of Oprah's primary competitors for the Dem nomination. Oh, and he's a cyclist.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/starbucks/starbucks-plans-pay-hike-added-benefits-for-employees/

Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks latest to raise wages and stock grants, too [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Following the lead of Wal-Mart and several others SBUX is raising wages and giving stock grants, too.

This is the same company who's former CEO is rumored to be one of Oprah's primary competitors for the Dem nomination. Oh, and he's a cyclist.

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/starbucks/starbucks-plans-pay-hike-added-benefits-for-employees/

All these bonuses and stock grants are BS publicity stunts. Without checking Starbucks in particular, it is eye-opening to compare the cost of these stunts with the value of the tax changes (hint: orders of magnitude smaller).

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks latest to raise wages and stock grants, too [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
     Disney also announced 125 million in bonuses in the last couple of days. I think it has nothing to do with Trump policies, and more to do with the goodness that Trump is infused with acting as inspiration and example for this corporate largess.
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks latest to raise wages and stock grants, too [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

All these bonuses and stock grants are BS publicity stunts. Without checking Starbucks in particular, it is eye-opening to compare the cost of these stunts with the value of the tax changes (hint: orders of magnitude smaller).

Then why these BS stunts now? is your position that these employees will not see a raise and store managers will not receive stock grants?
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks latest to raise wages and stock grants, too [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frankly, I couldn't care why companies are making long-term and permanent wage increases a part of their business as long as they're doing it and giving people fair wages for the work they're doing. Starbucks, for all of the flack it receives from people on both the left and right, has a history of treating employees really well (even though their product is absolute rubbish and what they call coffee should be better described as charred industrial waste), from....

Is it a place that I'd like to go work? Not a chance, unless it were on the corporate end. But there's not a chance I'd want to work in that kind of retail fast food environment anywhere. I've heard complaints from their employees for many reasons about the front line working conditions and paltry tips (let's get Dave on that one). It's not a perfect type of environment and I cannot imagine it's a fun one to work in, but for the type of work it is they're to be commended for how they've treated their folks and the innovative types of benefits they offer. The education assistance alone is huge for the types of young people who work there, worth more in my mind than 401k benefits that young people aren't as apt to take advantage of.

klehner wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My check this week had a signifcant reduction in Federal Taxes

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks latest to raise wages and stock grants, too [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:

BS.
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks latest to raise wages and stock grants, too [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:

I'm not sure where I read it and I'll Google, but the lower tax is right, the problem is the brackets changed too, so in the end you may be in a higher bracket and end up paying if you're not careful. I saw a decrease in my taxes and had to have them ADD an additional amount every pay period.

https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/taxes/federal-income-tax-brackets/

I think that helps, or not.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace." Jimi Hendrix
Last edited by: Nova: Jan 24, 18 15:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

That's really nice of them, how much is a cup of overpriced Americano going to cost now?
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks latest to raise wages and stock grants, too [Nova] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nova wrote:
Billabong wrote:

I'm not sure where I read it and I'll Google, but the lower tax is right, the problem is the brackets changed too, so in the end you may be in a higher bracket and end up paying if you're not careful. I saw a decrease in my taxes and had to have them ADD an additional amount every pay period.

My bracket changed from 28% to 24%

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
klehner wrote:
Uncle Arqyle wrote:

HA! HA! HA!

So, wait a minute! Company's get a tax break. They pass a portion on to their employees and that makes it a "BS publicity stunt?"

BWAAAAHAAAAHAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAA!

THAT'S AWESOME!!!

Donkey logic is hilarious!

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
Nova wrote:
Billabong wrote:

My bracket changed from 28% to 24%

All of our hourly employees -- who make from $9.45 to $21.50 per hour -- saw a decrease in federal income tax withholding. I see their pay histories, so I know what they were getting dinged for versus what they're now going to be dinged for. In many cases, it was a nice reduction. In others, it was smaller. But all of them saw it. We pay them weekly, and many opt for a paper check (kind of anachronistic, but you have to understand our workforce here around Detroit), so the first thing they do is look at their pay amount and then what was withheld. They all smiled. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks latest to raise wages and stock grants, too [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Then there's this:

Bloomberg: U.S. Heads For 3% Growth Trifecta. “The U.S. economy probably ended last year with the longest stretch of 3 percent-or-better growth since 2005.”

I personally don't care who or what is responsible for it. I just care that it's happening. It means more business for us, and more potential profit and the ability to compensate our employees better. We're a privately owned company, so there are no shareholders to satisfy (just the family members who own the company, but they're all great folks and smart about business). Good times, noodle salad. ;-)

Quote Reply
Re: Starbucks latest to raise wages and stock grants, too [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And we're experiencing this personally. All the companies around the airport -- and we compete with them for employees -- are starting to increase wages and benefits. We'll have to as well, of course. Good news for job seekers, right?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
big kahuna wrote:
And we're experiencing this personally. All the companies around the airport -- and we compete with them for employees -- are starting to increase wages and benefits. We'll have to as well, of course. Good news for job seekers, right?

Waserman Schultz, or whatever her name is, just said something to the effect of $1,000 doesn't really get you much. This is a horrible take and they should drop this idiocy. $1,000 would pay to heat my cold Seattle home for most of the winter. So fucking out of touch.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

Waserman Schultz, or whatever her name is, just said something to the effect of $1,000 doesn't really get you much. This is a horrible take and they should drop this idiocy. $1,000 would pay to heat my cold Seattle home for most of the winter. So fucking out of touch.

I guess this is in reference to Home Depot announcing $1,000 bonuses today.
Quote Reply