Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Lost power. How long before I should break out the generator?
Quote | Reply
Main transformer went out at the power plant. They say it may be 5 or 6 hours before power is back on. I have two refrigerators that will stay closed for that time.

Just wondering if I should break out the generator and run them for a little while. Thoughts? One is inside the house, the other is in the garage. Temperature outside is 44.
Quote Reply
Re: Lost power. How long before I should break out the generator? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You Idiot. Google is your friend. :)

Four hours is the maximum time before food starts to spoil in a fridge.

Time to go pull out the generator.
Last edited by: rick_pcfl: Jan 24, 18 6:53
Quote Reply
Re: Lost power. How long before I should break out the generator? [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

Lighten up Francis. I trust the people here more than I trust Google.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Full apocalypse prep. I suggest trapping the neighbors’ dogs and eating them. Plan to raid them for dry goods. Make sure to wear a football helmet at all times.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
rick_pcfl wrote:

Lighten up Francis. I trust the people here more than I trust Google.

fridge or freezer?

Don't run the generator inside the garage....

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's easy. What time does the next thing you want to watch on TV come on?

At two hours I bring out the generator and make sur it run and that I have gas. Som time around 3 or 4 hours I fire it up. In the winter the answer is as soon as the temp drops below 65 in the house. I suppose in your winter that would never happen though.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: Lost power. How long before I should break out the generator? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know better than to run it in the garage. It is in the house where I don’t have to use a long extension cord

Going to lay down and take a nap.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
double points if you pull the dryer plug and run all your house amperage demands thru that sole plug designed to handle the load of only one appliance. If the CO2 don't get ya the ensuring smoke/fire will

best of luck

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Lost power. How long before I should break out the generator? [lunchbox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lunchbox wrote:
Full apocalypse prep. I suggest trapping the neighbors’ dogs and eating them. Plan to raid them for dry goods. Make sure to wear a football helmet at all times.

Now what!??? The power came back on and the neighbor's dog is already on the Big Green Egg. I guess I should have them over for dinner before I break the bad news to them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Blame it on white people.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

Most foods wouldn't start to spoil in only 4 hours sitting on the countertop. I don't know what google website told you 4 hours in a closed fridge.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does your inside fridge display the current temp? If so, just curious as to what it said after the power came back on.

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Lost power. How long before I should break out the generator? [justgeorge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
justgeorge wrote:
Does your inside fridge display the current temp? If so, just curious as to what it said after the power came back on.

It does, but I didn't pay attention to it. It was out for about 2.5 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have no power, yet you are posting on Slowtwitch???

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
justgeorge wrote:

It does, but I didn't pay attention to it. It was out for about 2.5 hours.

Unplug it again for another 2.5 hours and then report back to us....

I miss YaHey
Quote Reply
Re: Lost power. How long before I should break out the generator? [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
You have no power, yet you are posting on Slowtwitch???

Laptop and a mobile hotspot. With the electricity out, I couldn't work on my software company so I got on ST. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Lost power. How long before I should break out the generator? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

+
Quote Reply