Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

is this a sports car?
Quote | Reply
http://www.evo.co.uk/...rburgring-lap-record

that lap is amazing. what an amazing piece of engineering

I also saw a camaro is going for a sub 7 round there, that would be equally amazing, that would be quick no matter what.
Quote Reply
Re: is this a sports car? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Supercar to me. But, if it isn't street legal then race car.
Quote Reply
Re: is this a sports car? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd label it as a hypercar, like the article says. It's not street legal, but it seems like it's not built for racing, so much as technological accomplishment, testing, and study for raw speed.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Re: is this a sports car? [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am aware. There are car manufacturers that specifically build or tailor a "special edition" car just for the "ring" to set a record lap time. Still pretty cool though.

There is a video feed you can watch for the Nurburgring where you can see who is in line with their cars buying lap tickets (like a toll booth drive through actually). You'll see a variety of vehicles (exotics, mundane passenger cars, tourist buses, whatever). Don't know if it is still up though but I remember watching it at random times many years ago.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Jan 24, 18 7:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It used to be that people raced production cars.

Then they slightly modified production cars for racing.

Now they rebuild production cars into full blown race cars.

Or in the case of the Ford GT, design a race car, and make some road legal versions. (Although Porsche was the first to do this with the 911 GT1)

The big difference with this car, is that (IIRC) it was on race slicks, not street tires.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by spudone [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, their cited weight for the LaFerrari is hilariously low. Car & Driver weighed it as part of their instrumented test--3489 lbs (1585 kg). Motor Trend weighed it at 3495 lbs.

Also, I hate when marketing types describe cars as "no-compromise." Every car is a compromise: pickup trucks compromise packaging, weight, and efficiency for the ability to carry lots of stuff; minivans compromise looks and driving dynamics for the ability to carry lots of people; and cars like the Nio compromise aerodynamic efficiency for reduced lift, passenger space for huge motors and a small profile, and price for exclusivity and development. Especially bothersome when he points to two major compromises to assert it's a "no-compromise car, in terms of strength-to-weight [it would have been much lighter without batteries and with a conventional ICE drivetrain while making as much power. See: Koenigsegg Agera] and packaging [it only seats two people and has no cargo space]."
Quote Reply
Re: is this a sports car? [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Also electric cars like this that are simply trying to beat the Nurburgring lap time, usually have very little range. Both due to the way they use power, and the need to lower weight.

I'd call it a track car until they get a street legal version out there.

^^ Just like the Croatian Electric car that Hammond drove and crashed on Grand Tour. He had to recharge every 100 miles or so but damn that thing was fast.

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

I think it's pretty fitting that the current "Production Car" record holder is the Porsche 911 GT2 RS. It's about as close to a true production car as possible. They are only building 1,000 of them, but they are pretty close to the "normal" 911s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andrewmc wrote:
http://www.evo.co.uk/electric-cars/19352/nio-ep9-electric-hypercar-specs-details-and-nurburgring-lap-record

that lap is amazing. what an amazing piece of engineering

I also saw a camaro is going for a sub 7 round there, that would be equally amazing, that would be quick no matter what.

Meh, millions of Euros and latest technology and still thirty seconds slower than a Porsche was nearly 35 years ago -- and only thirty seconds faster than a Chevrolet Camaro (my googlefu shows 7:16 for the Camaro).

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race car.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
Also electric cars like this that are simply trying to beat the Nurburgring lap time, usually have very little range. Both due to the way they use power, and the need to lower weight.

This is a good point.

The technology is amazing, but here, the car appears to be built primarily for setting a Nurburgring lap time. That's impressive, but the real task is to transfer that technology into something that's useful. It's not unheard of for a car to be built for Nurburgring but to end up being shit on the road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The article writer doesn't have any sense of scale. If you asked every electricity-generating plant in the US to simultaneously come on line at 100% output, last I looked you still come up a little shy of 1 million megawatts

Brian

Gonna buy a fast car, put on my lead boots, take a long, long drive
I may end up spending all my money, but I'll still be alive
Quote Reply