Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

30% tariff on imported solar panels
Quote | Reply
Let the trade wars begin. Thanks Trump.

http://thehill.com/...-solar-panel-imports

Looks like washing machines also get 20% tariff.
Last edited by: FishyJoe: Jan 22, 18 18:04
Quote Reply
Re: 30% tariff on imported solar panels [FishyJoe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:

Have you seen what a Chinese surface (strip in enviro terms) mine looks like?

Trust me, there’s no reclamation bond. Or reseeding. Or groundwater monitoring. Or prioritizing threatened species.

Any environmental benefit derived from Chinese panels is totally negated by the mining process of the raw materials.

There ain’t no MSHA in China.

----------------------------------------------------------------

My training
Quote Reply
Re: 30% tariff on imported solar panels [stal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

Trust me, there’s no reclamation bond. Or reseeding. Or groundwater monitoring. Or prioritizing threatened species.

Any environmental benefit derived from Chinese panels is totally negated by the mining process of the raw materials.

And that's unique to solar panels and washing machines how?

The majority of products have something that comes from China. Even most USA manufactured products likely have some supply chain that extends from China.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

What LCA data to you have to back up your statements? Which raw materials mining are you referring too - since different photovoltaic panels use different raw materials?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:

So us consumers are the big losers here. LG and Samsung make great products and now the cost goes up by at least 20%, which almost forces people to buy inferior American products (of which the cost is probably going to go up, now that their competition has been reduced). Less quality, higher cost, thanks Trump voters!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:

This tariff is not a regulation that requires U.S. manufacturers to source locally mined raw materials. It's just a tariff on the finished product (from what I can tell).

China is still a dominant producer of copper, silver, silicon and almost all rare earth metals. And I don't see how this affects those markets. If I'm making photovoltaics cell in the U.S. I'm still buying Chinese indium or whatever, and the ugly Chinese strip mine that employs 6 year-olds probably looks every bit as ugly.

If you want to start enforcing environmental or labor practices, then probably the way to do that is participating in global bodies that govern environmental or labor practices. But the U.S. has already said it wants to pull out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership - one of those bodies - so that's one less lever to use. And "the base" probably doesn't like participating in global bodies because of the appearance that any participation in global bodies cedes national sovereignty to foreign powers.

So tariffs. Where we get all the higher prices for U.S. consumers, but debatable benefit in other ways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I love is that Trump can antagonize the right as much as he wants. It shows a total lack of cajones on the part of people that supported him because they are helpless and he doesn't care:

"The right-wing R Street Institute said Trump's decision was a disappointing loss for free trade.

“More good-paying jobs will be jeopardized by today’s decision than could possibly be saved by bailing out the bankrupt companies that petitioned for protection," said Clark Packard, trade policy counsel for the group. "Today's decision also will jeopardize the environment by making clean energy sources less affordable."

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do I get the feeling the free market capitalists in the Republican ranks of Congress won't raise a stink? The Dems should be jumping for joy - more taxes! The bizarro world we are living in continues to turn...
Quote Reply
Re: 30% tariff on imported solar panels [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
stal wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

What LCA data to you have to back up your statements? Which raw materials mining are you referring too - since different photovoltaic panels use different raw materials?

Good LCA data from China? lolz.

That makes about as much sense as trying to enforce patent law in China.

Have you ever been to a mine? Either in the US or China. Active or 'reclaimed'? I have. Tons (pun intended!) of them. There's quite a difference...the difference in which material is being mined doesn't matter.

I mean seriously, I thought 'enforcing' environmental and trade standards around the world was a libby thing. I guess if DJT does it, it must be evil.

My training
Quote Reply
Re: 30% tariff on imported solar panels [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:
Why do I get the feeling the free market capitalists in the Republican ranks of Congress won't raise a stink? The Dems should be jumping for joy - more taxes! The bizarro world we are living in continues to turn...

Not only that, we have people defending it over environmental reasons of all things.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
Benv wrote:
stal wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

Have you ever been to a mine? Either in the US or China. Active or 'reclaimed'? I have. Tons (pun intended!) of them. There's quite a difference...the difference in which material is being mined doesn't matter.

I mean seriously, I thought 'enforcing' environmental and trade standards around the world was a libby thing. I guess if DJT does it, it must be evil.

If you want to believe he is 'enforcing' environmental and trade standards in this case, he's got a bridge to sell you too.

And there is nothing I've read that said that materials or even components couldn't be sourced from outside the US. Only that the finished products couldn't be imported.
Last edited by: FishyJoe: Jan 23, 18 5:03
Quote Reply
Re: 30% tariff on imported solar panels [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
stal wrote:

This tariff is not a regulation that requires U.S. manufacturers to source locally mined raw materials. It's just a tariff on the finished product (from what I can tell).

China is still a dominant producer of copper, silver, silicon and almost all rare earth metals. And I don't see how this affects those markets. If I'm making photovoltaics cell in the U.S. I'm still buying Chinese indium or whatever, and the ugly Chinese strip mine that employs 6 year-olds probably looks every bit as ugly.

If you want to start enforcing environmental or labor practices, then probably the way to do that is participating in global bodies that govern environmental or labor practices. But the U.S. has already said it wants to pull out of the Trans-Pacific Partnership - one of those bodies - so that's one less lever to use. And "the base" probably doesn't like participating in global bodies because of the appearance that any participation in global bodies cedes national sovereignty to foreign powers.

So tariffs. Where we get all the higher prices for U.S. consumers, but debatable benefit in other ways.

I get what you're saying, and I think you're right in a lot of ways.

The problem is that the "global bodies" you mentioned don't appear to be working to a lot of folks...just ask anyone who used to make steel in the US.

Insinuating that the WTO, or any "global body" can make China (or any foreign low cost producer of anything) play by the rules and equalize labor/environmental practices is naive.

This is why the dems have long targeted specific industries in specific countries to raise their labor/environmental practices in exchange for the repubs getting low/zero trade tariffs. Pretty standard historical stuff.

But as you said, the benefits are debatable at best.

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
Benv wrote:
stal wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

So you don't have data to back up your statements. Even if the mining process is different, it doesn't mean chinese solar panels couldn't greatly contribute in a positive way for the planet.
Quote Reply
Re: 30% tariff on imported solar panels [tigermilk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigermilk wrote:

You have to add Reps pretending to care about "strip mines in China" to that list.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is this part of the effort to bring coal jobs back? For years people have been complaining that we are subsidizing the new technology too much. Now some of those same people are eager to put tariffs on the new technology to in effect subsidize coal.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: 30% tariff on imported solar panels [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
Is this part of the effort to bring coal jobs back? For years people have been complaining that we are subsidizing the new technology too much. Now some of those same people are eager to put tariffs on the new technology to in effect subsidize coal.

It's the drill, drill, drill people that are killing coal. Coal can't compete with cheap natural gas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
FishyJoe wrote:
j p o wrote:

It's the drill, drill, drill people that are killing coal. Coal can't compete with cheap natural gas.

The biggest thing killing coal jobs is improved coal mining techniques and equipment. Maybe the next tariff will be on trucks of unusual size.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did trump even claim the tariffs are to enforce environmental standards?

“Read the transcript.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://
Benv wrote:
stal wrote:
Benv wrote:
stal wrote:
FishyJoe wrote:

So you don't have data to back up your statements. Even if the mining process is different, it doesn't mean chinese solar panels couldn't greatly contribute in a positive way for the planet.

Your naïveté is endearing.

I suggest you learn about where the things you consume come from. It will be eye opening.

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a scientist and R&D manager in aerospace composites who has worked on LCA in the past, I look forward to your guidance as you teach me! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:
As a scientist and R&D manager in aerospace composites who has worked on LCA in the past, I look forward to your guidance as you teach me! :-)

If that’s your background and you don’t understand the difference of raw materials sourced in China vs the US and the difference of LCA data between the two countries...then I suggest you look for a new field or thank your father/mother for your job :)

My training
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
stal wrote:
Benv wrote:

If that’s your background and you don’t understand the difference of raw materials sourced in China vs the US and the difference of LCA data between the two countries...then I suggest you look for a new field or thank your father/mother for your job :)
Well my mother and father live on a different continent and have not contributed in any way to my education, family life or professional career. :-)

And as to understanding the differences in LCA data... still waiting on you presenting it. Tick tock tick tock it seems be taking a while, having trouble finding it?
Quote Reply