Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What I've Seen In Iraq, And What I've Also Been Told ("The Truth On The Ground") [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I understand your point of view: of course our soldiers are not worn down by the enemy. BUT the military is not a self sufficient entity; it does not support itself. It is supplied by money and support/love of the civilians. Freedom (which is what we US citizens were given) is the ability to speak our minds. If watching our boys die for the folly of a political move is what we see, we're going to speak it.

Because you're a military man, you might see all this negative talk as useless and we should just shut up. However, you would have seen incredible flag waving from EVEN the Hollywood liberal shmucks if Dubya was hunting around the world for OBL and al Queda, much like the Israelis did in the upcoming movie Munich.

History will wonder WTF we were doing in Iraq when our #1 enemy and his cells were around the world. You can't throw a battalian at these guys, it's a different war. Iraq was just us flexing our muscles...for some reason which we still don't know yet (but Bush takes responsibility for...2 years after)
Quote Reply
Re: What I've Seen In Iraq, And What I've Also Been Told ("The Truth On The Ground") [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"In our own case, the Viet Cong and the Somalis were devastated by our military."

You blame it on the US citizens?? How about this: we carpetbombed them and they didn't stop fighting. Just like we wouldn't give up if a foreign enemy attacked us. Scoreboard: guerillas

"In Somalia......It naturally looked like we 'tucked tail and ran', which was what many of us feel was its purpose in the first place."

It was a mission/action, not a war. Scoreboard: doesn't apply, not a place where we landed and "made freedom for the Somali people".

"The Russian misadventure in Afghanistan"

Russians lost and left. Scoreboard: guerillas

What else we got? The Tamil Tigers forced a stalemate over there in Sri Lanka, so now they have their own piece of the property. The Chechnians, the IRA... even Israel couldn't defeat Hamas and endless human bombs so they gave em some land! Quagmire baby, know it when you see it. Bush 1 did, Bush 2 didn't want to see it. Bush has blindness - not bravery.
Quote Reply
Re: What I've Seen In Iraq, And What I've Also Been Told ("The Truth On The Ground") [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's interesting that some quality of life measures are improving (unemplyoment etc) but optimisim for the future is going down.

My guess is that they are realizing that whether you get blown up on an empty stomach or a full one, you still die.

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: What I've Seen In Iraq, And What I've Also Been Told ("The Truth On The Ground") [ibchillin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because you're a military man, you might see all this negative talk as useless and we should just shut up. However, you would have seen incredible flag waving from EVEN the Hollywood liberal shmucks if Dubya was hunting around the world for OBL and al Queda, much like the Israelis did in the upcoming movie Munich.

Again, our perspectives make us see the Iraq issue from different sides. I've ALWAYS known that we'd have to go back in there, sooner or later, and I don't concede that Saddam wasn't a major supporter of the very folks that are causing us so much grief, nowadays. Note that I didn't say that he or his country was directly responsible for what took place on 9/11.

Also, whether he thought he could put the "djinn back in the bottle" (by his support of Islamist movements that were inimical to us), after letting it out, or if he really believed he could strike at us and get away with it, many of us sincerely believe that he had WMDs, or that he was once engaged in a longer-term aim of getting them. Would you agree that he had friends and supporters, garnered through his corruption of the U.N.'s Oil-For-Food Program, whose ultimate aim was to get him freed from international oversight while he carried on the simultaneous goal of developing an offensive capability (read WMDs) which could possibly forever forestall our ability to strike at him, given enough provocation?

I also can't concede that the so-called 'schmucks' in Hollywood would be supporting the president or the admininstration or the military if we were 'fighting the real enemy' (whatever that's supposed to mean). And I honestly don't think that they have nefarious aims when it comes to opposing our use of force in the wider world....just that they're hopelessly and profoundly naive about the environment we live in.

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
by his support of Islamist movements that were inimical to us

What?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: What I've Seen In Iraq, And What I've Also Been Told ("The Truth On The Ground") [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His government's contacts with Al-Qaeda. Well-documented. Maybe an Islamist movement that was inimical to us was a more appropriate phrase.

Welcome to the discussion, btw. We missed you.

T.
Quote Reply
Re: What I've Seen In Iraq, And What I've Also Been Told ("The Truth On The Ground") [ibchillin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Chillin', well said on all counts.

In this free society, people should be able to express points of view on a topic without being insulted, threatened, and ridiculed.

Not that this board is guilty of that, but I;'ve seen SO many left vs right discussions degenerate beyond any sense of civility.
Last edited by: trigeek.tony: Dec 14, 05 11:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I disagree he had friends and supporters that wanted him to get WMD. Where would WMD come from? To me, Iran and N. Korea are going about it the way you usually get WMD, doncha think? I'm sure he had friends, but I haven't seen any yet, other than these human bombs that weren't there before we arrived.

I would agree with you that Saddam agreed with al Queda, but we got muslim citizens in America that agree with al Queda.

The hollywood liberal clowns whine even if we execute a deserving mass murderer, but they would whimper if we were actually stringing up OBL. The Iraq folly gave them the loudest voice, perspective or not.

If you "always knew we'd have to go back there"... what is your perspective now that WMD was a total dud/lie/trickery/falsehood/bad facts, and it's obvious he wasn't even close to having WMD and his army was useless?
Quote Reply
Re: What I've Seen In Iraq, And What I've Also Been Told ("The Truth On The Ground") [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
It means that if one in seven changed his mind from the 64% opinion, it'd be split down the middle.

So what, if one in seven changed their mind in the other direction it wold be 78%, what is your point?
Had you recently discovered the ability read and think (not necessarily at the same time), you'd understand that the point was that it wouldn't take much of a change to have a split down the middle.

Are we a bit bitter these days?

Had you done the same (read and think) you'd understand that it wouldn't take much of a change to have more than three quarters with a positive outlook on Iraq.

Ken you can hope and dream all you want for bad news on Iraq, but the poll is what it is, and the number is what it is like it or not. So talking about it being 50% is completely irrelevant.

----------------------------------------------------------
I'm just a 10 cent rider on a $2,500.00 Bike

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"In our own case, the Viet Cong and the Somalis were devastated by our military." (A)

You blame it on the US citizens?? How about this: we carpetbombed them and they didn't stop fighting. Just like we wouldn't give up if a foreign enemy attacked us. Scoreboard: guerillas

"In Somalia......It naturally looked like we 'tucked tail and ran', which was what many of us feel was its purpose in the first place." It was a mission/action, not a war. Scoreboard: doesn't apply, not a place where we landed and "made freedom for the Somali people". (B)

"The Russian misadventure in Afghanistan" Russians lost and left. Scoreboard: guerillas What else we got? The Tamil Tigers forced a stalemate over there in Sri Lanka, so now they have their own piece of the property. The Chechnians, the IRA... even Israel couldn't defeat Hamas and endless human bombs so they gave em some land! Quagmire baby, know it when you see it. Bush 1 did, Bush 2 didn't want to see it. Bush has blindness - not bravery. (C)

(A) You miss the strategic, and even tactical, aspects of the discussion, which was that NO guerilla force has EVER been successful in a military campaign against our forces. You also miss the point, and in fact even illustrate the point, that it's a lot easier to intimidate the civilian and political leadership backing the military, into giving up the fight. Insurgents particularly count on this when it comes to use of 'low technology-high concept' or 'low technology-low concept' weapons like airplanes flying into buildings or roadside bombs, which are indiscriminate in which targets they kill. Again, it's a page right of Ho's book. Not original in its thinking, but prescient in what it could do to our own people. Also, the VC didn't choose to stop fighting...they were an utterly spent fighting force by 1970. And the North Vietnamese have admitted that they were ready to capitulate, at least in the short-term, when we offered them a chance (and some time with which to delay and stall) to engage in so-called 'peace talks'. Again, that's a failure of the WILL of the people, not of the military. Scoreboard: Utter defeat for the guerillas.

(B) Our aim was to separate the warring militias in order to allow the U.N. to feed the Somali people. This was done under U.N. aegis, and it was 'mission creep' on the part of the Clinton administration, and Les Aspin, as an inexperienced Secretary of Defense, that brought about a sour end to what was initially an altruistic goal. If feeding people, and disarming those who were busily trying to kill them, isn't a mission 'to make freedom for the Somali people', than we need to redefine the meaning of the term 'free'.

Also, my point was that no guerilla movement EVER defeated our military 'on the ground'. Certainly, by the time that the 'Blackhawk Down' episode occurred, we were in a low-intensity conflict with a group of people who exhibited every characteristic of carrying on an insurgent struggle against us, with the ultimate aim of running us out of the city of Mogadishu and the wider countryside, as well. Whether you choose to call it a 'mission' or a 'war' is a technical term. I assure you that the folks on the ground, trying to execute a poorly-ran U.N. and U.S. mission, felt that it was a war in every aspect but name. Another point that I made was that the Somali militias/insurgents/whatever were soundly defeated in every contact that they had with our fighting forces, and that's the plain, hard truth. We literally could have reached out and 'touched' them at any time.

What they knew, though, was that by that time, we lacked the political will to do so. I'd say that a casualty-to-casualty comparison of that night proves me right, regardless of the wider political implications. Available intelligence also shows that the end result of that set-piece battle was a loss of appetite by the insurgents to continue the fight, and a cessation of hostile activity against us until we could pull back and exfiltrate our troops. The battle was won by us on the ground, and the wider struggle against these folks was consistently won by us. We lost the big one, though, because of a civilian distaste for the really dirty things necessary to bring about solution to getting the non-combatants over there fed, housed and clothed and a chance at a freer society. The fact that that place is still a cesspool tends to highlight my point. Scoreboard: A sound defeat of the guerillas on a military level.

(C) You also missed the point I was making about the Russians, which was that OUR forces have never been defeated by a guerilla force. The Russians basically highlight every WRONG thing that a military should do, if it wants to remain stuck in a place for years to come. Would you agree that our military campaign to overthrow the Taliban was masterful, for the most part, and that Afghanistan is today more free and more stable than at any time in its recent past? Also, would you say that if an insurgency exists, that at the present time, it's neglible and easily-defeated by us? Indeed, our campaigns over the last 3 years have shown that the old '10 infantrymen to 1 guerilla' ratio needed to defeat an insurgent force may need to be revised. Scoreboard: Another sound defeat of Mullah Omar and his Taliban stooges.

a. The Tamils and their struggle again highlight a poorly-executed military/politcal campaign. Not even a valid use of the 'guerillas can never be defeated' supposition.

b. You again use a poorly-led Russian force, with uncertain civilian and political backing as yet another example. Again, it's invalid.

c. I don't think the IRA, once cut off from its primary U.S. source of funding, and a pariah in the eyes of the international community, has ran the British out of Northern Ireland, as yet. And isn't even Gerry Adams persona non grata over here, and with Teddy Kennedy, for gosh sakes? Another weak supporting argument.

d. Israel has been forced by the U.S., knowing that its biggest supporter in the world wasn't happy with it, into handing over land to the P.A. Do you really think that Hamas shared in one iota of responsibility for that? Hell, I'd argue that it's a failure of will on the part of the American people, and its government, that's forced Israel into basically making a deal with the Devil on this one.

I understand that a superficial reading of so-called insurgent movements might give one the impression that they're successful. I disagree. They generally have neither the logistics nor the manpower to support a meaningful campaign. What they count upon, and what you and others enable them to count upon, is a failure of will (or a fear of conflict) on the part of the people to do for them that which they would never be able to accomplish, themselves.

T.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not in reply to the info in your post, just another bit of info I heard on npr.

The murder rate has gone up exponentially since the us has been in iraq. Outside of the daily america v. whoever battles, iraqis have killed 30k iraqis since the us has been in iraq. I don't know much about the stat or where it came from. A guest was discussing the 30k number bush tossed out, and said that while that number was true, we should also consider the increased crime/murder occurring in the country since the invasion began.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you just carpetbombed me. :-)

OK, alot of good stuff, and I see your designations. My thoughts are not that guerilla warfare _defeated_ our military, but it changed the game. It changes the way civilians view our policies toward war and how we go about our business. Meaning, "it better be a damn good reason that my son has to die" for a small country that hasn't done anything to us.

A) We still left, we still lost. I KNOW that the VC/NVA didn't defeat us militarily, nobody could. But when the F were we going to finish that game? Warfare today is not the same as the ol' capture the flag style of war or Napoleonic warfare that used to occur in WWII and earlier: a certain winner and certain loser. Today, it's: if you look like you're going to get beat by the Americans, scatter and go into guerilla mode. Wear them down.

You should also remember something else: we spent the communist Russians into bankruptcy by driving the cold war into a long drawn out spending spree (history will attribute this to Reagan). Do you think that the USA could also spend itself if we get caught in a long drawn out quagmire? This year is an example. Iraq is expensive, so is Katrina. Iraq is not al Queda, our supposed #1 enemy. We're in debt... "avoid quagmire"... Bush 1, Clinton knew this...

B) Thank you for the qualifications on Somalia. I agree that on one hand we got out of there possibly too soon, but like Bush 1, the theory that our leaders are going on is fear of another Vietnam. I agree with this thought process. Sure Somalia is still a cesspool, but we CANNOT fix it overnight, and we don't have the money either. There are sooooooo many other problems in this planet. If we got the job done, excellent for us. Get out of there when you're done.

C) Yes, I think what we did in Afganistan was excellent. Politically and militarily, we did the right things. The russians got their asses handed to them, but that's an example of guerilla war wearing down a classic military attack.

The other examples I used not as proof that they win militarily but that they provoke long term problems, issues. It cost the British billions to keep a handful of IRA jackasses at bay. If you don't see that as some sort of success on the part of the terrorists, you're not seeing it. Terrorists/insurgents/guerillas have no dreams that they will defeat a fleet of US tanks. They intend to bother us until those tanks are aboard a C5 and on the way home.

Remember, we won the Revolutionary war by not playing by the "rules of war" and hiding behind trees, taking potshots at the redcoats marching in order. Sure the redcoats overran us and could clean our clock militarily, but they LEFT and they LOST. We break our arms patting ourselves on the back saying how WE won our independence. How come when it comes to Vietnam - where we left, we lost, we could have kicked their ass - we don't attribute it to the Vietnamese and guerilla warfare? It did the job! It wore us down (NOT MILITARILY) to where we said let's go home.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might be right. Time will tell, I suppose. But, I prefer to look at the issue optimistically (at least for right now). That's why a photo like the one below gives me hope:

(courtesy Powerline)

A friend who is in Iraq with the National Guard training Iraqi security forces writes from Ramadi:
It is exciting to be here, especially right now on the cusp of the elections. Our Iraqi unit, along with all other ISF [Iraqi Security Forces] in the Ramadi area, voted yesterday, because they have to be available on election day for security. It was inspiring to see the policemen and soldiers coming in to vote. This was not a forced march of compliant soldiers doing their duty. They were genuinely excited about this event.

T.
Last edited by: big kahuna: Dec 14, 05 16:40
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice picture/paragraph!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not hoping we fail. For the first time in a long time (maybe it's the elections?) I've heard positive feedback from the MSM on the Iraqi people, looking to vote and turn the ship around. I think that is where it should come from; it's not going to come from us civilians back home. It's the Iraqis making it happen and seizing their own country, getting positive and sending us packin'. And that's a good thing. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the "Star and Stripes" military newspaper still around? This reminds me of all the articles we used to read when I was a teenager living on a NATO base during the Viet Nam era. The articles always had a feel good way of telling everybody "how well" things were going in Nam and how victory was just around the corner.

Honestly, I'd like to believe the good Major, but have to a bit feel sceptical.
Quote Reply
Re: What I've Seen In Iraq, And What I've Also Been Told ("The Truth On The Ground") [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A good dose of skepticism is always healthy. The soldiers of the Iraqi infantry battalion i work with all voted on the 12th as well. They proudly display their ink stained fingers. This morning those ink stained fingers are on the safety levers of their AKs as they stand guard outside the voting centers of this province. I'm sitting here in the JCC in Ad Dujayl where our Hq is set up to monitor election security alongside the IA battalion's TAC. So far things look good. It was cold last night but luckily I had my ranger tab to keep me warm ;-) We did a lot of work to bust up an IED cell and a kidnapping ring in this AO over the past week so security in our area looks better. The Iraqi Army is becoming increasingly competent and the people are taking an increased level of trust and confidence in it. Have had some troubles all year long in a local village that was heavily Sunni and former Baathist stronghold. Went in there with our IA last week (the battalion is split almost perfectly between Sunni and Shii--the Bn CDR is a Sunni) and by the time we left there was no doubt as to whom was in charge in the area--the IA. A couple of days later a delegation of sheiks and civic leaders from the village came to our crappy little operating base to swear to the IA Bn CDR that they were now ready to work with him to ensure security in the area. Can't speak for other areas of Iraq but so far things look pretty good in our little neck of the country. We are optimistic about a successful election and the people seem eager to vote.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
positive propaganda now there's the oxymoron of the day.

I have a hard time feeling good about a war we were lied to about. Even if we 'win' , which I'm sure the corporate media will announce to us one day.

"the trouble with normal is - it always gets worse"

- Cockburn
Quote Reply
Re: What I've Seen In Iraq, And What I've Also Been Told ("The Truth On The Ground") [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve,

In all fairness, you're missing my point. I'm not talking about one election, but long term after the US has pulled out. It doesn't end soon just because some young soldiers are doing a good job on a short term mission.

Only time will tell in the big long term picture.
Quote Reply

Prev Next