Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [Jimocles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a great display, and a great idea.

I have a few medals and awards that are worth displaying. I usually toss my masters swimming medals into a drawer, because there are medals for every event at a meet. Same with medals from local 5k-10k road races. I have my IM finisher medals somewhere on a display that 140triwife made, and that includes her medals as well. It's a device that has several hooks from which to hang medals. I often take off the swimming medals to make space for other awards.

My favorite awards and memorabilia are the unique or more meaningful ones, and I display those in different places. There is an Open Water race I used to do that has awards that are in the shape of a turtle, cut from sheet metal. Those are fun. My 2007 Boston poster and bib are in a frame, as well as my first IM, and those used to be in my office. I have a few awards from my NCAA career, but those are more than half a lifetime ago, so time to box those up. Aside from all that, I don't really display my awards. My wife has her medal, bib, and a few pictures of her Ironman in a frame.

I know a few people who are "medal-chasers." We probably all do. They enter obscure races and haul in the medals.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [CaptainSnail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My military medals are in my sock drawer; I think all my old Ironman bibs are in a folder (along with the bracelets) in the drawer below that, and my finisher medals are a bag of worms in the drawer below that. I obviously need to get organised.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm still waiting for some company to organize medal recycling. The metal probably worth something.

If I get a couple of bucks back or even just a good feeling, I'm happy to send my 10 pounds of medals somewhere.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [tbtriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just backed this kickstarter as well - definitely beats my current setup of hanging medals on an old hat rack!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tbtriathlon wrote:

I came across a Kickstarter campaign for a pretty cool and reasonably priced medal holder/display. I backed it, and figured some people in this thread might also be interested.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/chrthorn/finishertrophy-the-best-finisher-medal-display-for?ref=569874&token=de30fe08

144.6?
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [alexanderzlenz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ironman Chattanooga’s course has an extra 4 miles on the bike. That plate is customizable though, so I’m pretty sure you can put whatever you want on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool! Had no idea.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tbtriathlon wrote:
Ironman Chattanooga’s course has an extra 4 miles on the bike. That plate is customizable though, so I’m pretty sure you can put whatever you want on it.

Who's gonna be the first to put "DNF/DSN" on theirs?

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used a local small business in my area called Sporthooks. They make a wide array of designs and will design most custom ideas. www.sporthooks.com
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
tbtriathlon wrote:

Only Ashley Horner gets the DSN.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
RandMart wrote:
tbtriathlon wrote:

Only Ashley Horner gets the DSN.

Get one that says "#ashlete" then leave it empty

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aside from you, us, we.... no one really cares about our medals.

I keep mine in a zip lock bag somewhere (includes 11 IM medals, all 6 Marathon Majors, including 6 star, and about 100 others)

I received one of those medal hangers once for free, a really nice one with the IRONMAN branding on. I would feel like a tool putting that up anywhere that can be seen, nerveless my wife would never let me display that thing. I will sell it to you for half off if you want.

Keep the memories in your head, post a few social media pics, and spare everyone else the gaudy display of medals that no one cares about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I was going to keep any of them, I'd give them to my mom. She already has all of my diplomas.

---------------------------------------------------------------

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/profile/domingjm
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I usually try to find a kid at the event on the verge of a meltdown because he's bored out of his mind after being dragged to the event by his parents. Giving them an award seems to make them smile and forget about their misery for a while. It's a win-win, because it's that much less clutter around the house for me.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [domingjm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not really that bothered by teh medals, most of them just got given to the kids to play with or put in draws. Then my wife bought me a medal hanger for Chrissy and a box with all my medals in, she'd collected them all. It does look quite cool with them all hung up, each one has a different story! More of an opportunity for me to remisince on past races or a point of discussion for friends rather than it being a boastful thing.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think there is a charity or two that collects these and reuses them in a good way.
Quote Reply
Re: How do you display your medals and trophies [laughable] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The moving van delivered our stuff yesterday. There have been things in boxes for years. We had some boxes in garage, then a storage unit when the new apartment was too small.

Going through a random box today, I found my 2007 Boston finisher medal! I hadn’t seen it in years! I thought it was lost. I was a total dork tonight and wore it around. I’m struck by how small it is, even compared to things like Swimming medals from individual races at regional masters meets. But, as we all like to say, size doesn’t matter, it’s the memory that counts.

My wife said “it’s so small.” That’s what she said.
Quote Reply

Prev Next