Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Movie Review: Shape of Water [triguy101] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy101 wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
big kahuna wrote:

The bad: I couldn't escape the feeling the film assumes its audience is composed of idiots. The collection of set-ups, ludicrous and manipulative for the most part, all seemed designed, at least to me, to support a collection of social-justice lectures (criticizing the social injustices of the pre-Beatles era, even) lacking in any nuance or wit (this is sure to win it many awards in Hollywood this year). There's a way to get such messages across without grabbing a blowhorn and blasting it endlessly into your audience's ears, after all. It's called "subtlety," and it used to be a well-practiced art in Hollywood at one time. No longer, it seems.

I didn't feel* that way watching the movie and I'm a big fan of subtlety in the arts. I think it went along with the magical realism feel of the film. Everything about the movie was a bit over the top.

My major criticism was it wasn't really clear why the girl fell for the monster, he didn't really do anything to earn it.

*The problem may be my outrage meter isn't set low enough for our times :)

Because he couldn’t see her flaw (I.e. - her being a mute) and accepted her for who she was.

Well obviously :)
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Shape of Water [Crank] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Crank wrote:
Perseus wrote:
slowguy wrote:
The symbolism and character metaphors are very obvious and a bit overplayed (Elisa is mute, Zelda is black, Giles is gay, and Strickland is pure white 60s male American patriot), but that's also typical for del Toro's style. It's clearly about the outcasts vs the establishment.

Without seeing the movie I'm guessing this is why it won.

Bingo.

Yup. It had all of Hollywood's favorite virtue signaling cues. It's kind of like slacktivism in that regard -- athough del Toro and the studio actually took a risk, in spending millions to bring it to the screen (and that was money they could have easily lost), whereas slactivists usually just superimpose some country's flag over their profile pics, or some such other completely meaningless gesture. ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Shape of Water [slowguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So...this is/was basically a movie about bestiality? :D
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Shape of Water [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cafe Lactate wrote:

Is there a fish equivalent? I picture some hairy four legged thing when I think of bestiality, this was sex with a merman.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Shape of Water [Cafe Lactate] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cafe Lactate wrote:

Yes, but way better than Avatar.
Quote Reply
Re: Movie Review: Shape of Water [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Cafe Lactate wrote:

Is there a fish equivalent? I picture some hairy four legged thing when I think of bestiality, this was sex with a merman.

Quote Reply

Prev Next