Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: No dedicated thread to the Wolf book? [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dvfmfidc wrote:
yet to some, it is functioning just fine.

Tabloids seem to be making a comeback, then again, that is what the "Real" news has turned into these days.

It is impossible to get real news any longer. Neither side of the media can be trusted to simply provide the facts and let the reader/listener/viewer decide.

As for the book, MEH, to most people in the country it is about the economy economy economy. If they feel comfortable with their economic position they will/can ignore much of what comes from DC or what the media do. Right now, for the first time in a long time, the majority of the country are pretty comfortable with how the economy is working.

Wollf will make a lot of money selling a book that his likely half true, half made up, to those who already hate Trump. The rest of the country will keep going about their daily lives, not even knowing who Wollf is, or that the guy wrote a book.
Quote Reply
Re: No dedicated thread to the Wolf book? [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear ya brother.
Quote Reply
Re: No dedicated thread to the Wolf book? [Greg66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greg66 wrote:
I’m about half way through it.

It’s fucking entertaining. It’s much more about those around Trump than Trump himself: in the first half the triangle of Kushner, Bannon and Priebus gets quite a lot of airtime, with Trump portrayed as the empty vessel in the Middle sure of little more than that his lack of knowledge about everything is no impediment to anything.

There’s a ring of truth the overall themes: quite a lot in the first half seems to come from Roger Ailes or Bannon, and (crucially) neither is issuing blanket denials.

Whether the author has embroidered in a way to alter the real meaning, or not got the context right, or misaligned the dots is hard to know. I’d be surprised if he hasn’t somewhere, but equally I’d be surprised if having done so the overall message is skewed. In many respects it simply confirms what has been obvious for a year: the WH is utterly dysfunctional, there is no structure, no plan, and too many people vying for the ear of a fickle and self-aggrandising President.

I can't believe there are no denials! I can see why Bannon is not, but Roger Ailes hasn't and he's as legit as they come in the Conservative world!!!!!!!

O
M
G
Quote Reply
Re: No dedicated thread to the Wolf book? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Two things I found amusing.

Trump tweeted that the book is "full of lies".

Trumps lawyer sent a letter to the author and Bannon about non disclosure and ranting about sharing "confidential information".

So which is it? All lies? Or true confidential information?

reminds me of the bank robbery scene in raising Arizona

Gale: All right, ya hayseeds, it's a stick-up. Everybody freeze. Everybody down on the ground.
Feisty Hayseed: Well, which is it, young feller? You want I should freeze or get down on the ground? Mean to say, if'n I freeze, I can't rightly drop. And if'n I drop, I'm a-gonna be in motion. You see...
Gale: Shut up!
Feisty Hayseed: Okay then.
Gale: Everybody down on the ground!
Evelle: Y'all can just forget that part about freezin' now.
Gale: Better still to get down there.
Evelle: Yeah, y'all hear that, don't ya?
[Everybody lays down. Gale looks at the now-empty teller windows]
Gale: Shit! Where'd all the tellers go?
Teller's voices: We're down here, sir.
Evelle: They're on the floor as you commanded, Gale.
Quote Reply
Re: No dedicated thread to the Wolf book? [jwbeuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwbeuk wrote:
dvfmfidc wrote:

Tabloids seem to be making a comeback, then again, that is what the "Real" news has turned into these days.

It is impossible to get real news any longer. Neither side of the media can be trusted to simply provide the facts and let the reader/listener/viewer decide.

As for the book, MEH, to most people in the country it is about the economy economy economy. If they feel comfortable with their economic position they will/can ignore much of what comes from DC or what the media do. Right now, for the first time in a long time, the majority of the country are pretty comfortable with how the economy is working.

Wollf will make a lot of money selling a book that his likely half true, half made up, to those who already hate Trump. The rest of the country will keep going about their daily lives, not even knowing who Wollf is, or that the guy wrote a book.

I don't think there is a Godwin's Law corollary for Mussolini so I'll go for it.

So if Mussolini actually got the trains running on time the rest doesn't matter?

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Re: No dedicated thread to the Wolf book? [j p o] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j p o wrote:
jwbeuk wrote:
dvfmfidc wrote:

I don't think there is a Godwin's Law corollary for Mussolini so I'll go for it.

So if Mussolini actually got the trains running on time the rest doesn't matter?

The problem with your analogy is Mussolini had a higher approval rating than Trump.
Quote Reply
Re: No dedicated thread to the Wolf book? [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
Greg66 wrote:
I’m about half way through it.

It’s fucking entertaining. It’s much more about those around Trump than Trump himself: in the first half the triangle of Kushner, Bannon and Priebus gets quite a lot of airtime, with Trump portrayed as the empty vessel in the Middle sure of little more than that his lack of knowledge about everything is no impediment to anything.

There’s a ring of truth the overall themes: quite a lot in the first half seems to come from Roger Ailes or Bannon, and (crucially) neither is issuing blanket denials.

Whether the author has embroidered in a way to alter the real meaning, or not got the context right, or misaligned the dots is hard to know. I’d be surprised if he hasn’t somewhere, but equally I’d be surprised if having done so the overall message is skewed. In many respects it simply confirms what has been obvious for a year: the WH is utterly dysfunctional, there is no structure, no plan, and too many people vying for the ear of a fickle and self-aggrandising President.

I can't believe there are no denials! I can see why Bannon is not, but Roger Ailes hasn't and he's as legit as they come in the Conservative world!!!!!!!

O
M
G

OK. I’ve now got to Ailes’ death. Which I didn’t know about.

I guess that explains his silence.
Quote Reply
Re: No dedicated thread to the Wolf book? [Andrewmc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I listened to an interview on NPR and he sounds pretty credible. He has a lot of notes of all his interviews and even when getting asked some very pointed questions, he stood behind everything 100%. There was no wavering, no, "well, that's how I heard it." If there ends up being a lawsuit, after all his comments, I'll definitely be surprised if he doesn't have the facts correct in his story.

_____
TEAM HD
Each day is what you make of it so make it the best day possible.
Quote Reply
Re: No dedicated thread to the Wolf book? [xtremrun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtremrun wrote:
j p o wrote:

The problem with your analogy is Mussolini had a higher approval rating than Trump.

"Human existence is based upon two pillars: Compassion and knowledge. Compassion without knowledge is ineffective; Knowledge without compassion is inhuman." Victor Weisskopf.
Quote Reply
Re: No dedicated thread to the Wolf book? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve only read the parts of the book that have been circulated but based on those, I would 100% confidence in the author because everything quoted has been referenced by others in the past and is completely consistent with what neutral observers have been saying for almost 2 years.

The fact that Trump is trying to block the book and also how the administration is desperately trying to minimise the role Bannon played is pretty solid proof that Wolf is telling the truth. Honestly, is anyone actually surprised that his team is in turmoil and that those closest to Trump thinks he is an idiot?

The Trump supporters will of course try to raise doubts about the messenger but the average person will see through that pretty quickly.

The fact that they gave Wolf such access to the individuals is proof enough that the administration really has no clue. Unbelievable.
Quote Reply
Re: No dedicated thread to the Wolf book? [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
I’ve only read the parts of the book that have been circulated but based on those, I would 100% confidence in the author because everything quoted has been referenced by others in the past and is completely consistent with what neutral observers have been saying for almost 2 years.

The fact that Trump is trying to block the book and also how the administration is desperately trying to minimise the role Bannon played is pretty solid proof that Wolf is telling the truth. Honestly, is anyone actually surprised that his team is in turmoil and that those closest to Trump thinks he is an idiot?

The Trump supporters will of course try to raise doubts about the messenger but the average person will see through that pretty quickly.

The fact that they gave Wolf such access to the individuals is proof enough that the administration really has no clue. Unbelievable.

Some wise man predicted on the night Trump won that the next four years would have Trump getting little done because he'd be spending most of his time putting out fires that he started. Can't remember who that wise man was but he certainly was wise.
Quote Reply
Re: No dedicated thread to the Wolf book? [axlsix3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
axlsix3 wrote:
In typical expose books like this (i.e. any of Goldman's books) the truth is not at the top of the list. The true motive is to sell & make $, and if there's truth then it's an added bonus.

What part of the book did you read to make you say there is little truth to the claims or that his true motive is to just make money? Is there a specific comment that you know is not true?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:
In typical expose books like this (i.e. any of Goldman's books) the truth is not at the top of the list. The true motive is to sell & make $, and if there's truth then it's an added bonus.

What part of the book did you read to make you say there is little truth to the claims or that his true motive is to just make money? Is there a specific comment that you know is not true?

-
He's riding high, but the long knives are out for Wolff, and already his past writings and some from this book are being challenged:
-
" Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who the book said warned Trump that he may be under surveillance from British spies, issued a statement describing the claim as "categorically absurd" and "simply untrue."
Anna Wintour, the longtime Vogue editor, also dismissed the claim that she lobbied Trump to be his ambassador to the UK as "laughably preposterous.""
-
http://www.businessinsider.com/michael-wolff-note-says-he-doesnt-know-if-trump-book-is-all-true-2018-1
Quote Reply
Re: No dedicated thread to the Wolf book? [dave_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Odd that Trump is trying so hard to block the book if it’s all fake...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

Even given he little we know, i'd imagine it's mostly true. There will probably be a slew of books that come out aboot(sic) this odd administration and it's leader, and Trump will have to play back and forth with them all. I'm moving to the "to hell with any legal reason, IMPEACH TRUMP!" side...just too much sideshow here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair, who the book said warned Trump that he may be under surveillance from British spies, issued a statement describing the claim as "categorically absurd" and "simply untrue." //

SO if this were true you would expect Blair to fess up?? I mean come on, he is going to say the exact same thing no matter what happened, simply untrue. What would be have to gain by telling the truth(if indeed the book part on this is right)? Its basically like asking TDF racers if they used to dope. If they were not actually caught at the time, it is just a standard denial..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

My guess would be Trump understands quite well how effective it is to spew salacious and sometimes meaningless gossip. You know, from personal experience.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:
axlsix3 wrote:

I have not read the book, nor intend to, but have seen some of the clips. My comment was in general, which is that expose books like these are driven by $ and not truth. Not to say that there are not truths in this particular book.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dave_w wrote:
Sanuk wrote:

Even given he little we know, i'd imagine it's mostly true. There will probably be a slew of books that come out aboot(sic) this odd administration and it's leader, and Trump will have to play back and forth with them all. I'm moving to the "to hell with any legal reason, IMPEACH TRUMP!" side...just too much sideshow here.

The Democrats need to ignore the book. It has a life of its own. But what they don't want to do is embrace something that gets proven false.

Sessions new war on pot, the tax bill, Trump tweets, ... all are fertile ground. Don't fuck it up in a Dan Rather moment by embracing what you hope is true.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Trump is an idiot and the book can still be full of mistruths, falsehoods, exaggerations, vitriol, and truth.

Both are likely true, IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: No dedicated thread to the Wolf book? [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So which is it? All lies? Or true confidential information?

Hard to know.

This is why it's important to step back and look at historical behavior patterns.

In Trump's case, he's a known, certifiable pathological liar! He's been this way his whole adult life. You literally can't trust ANYTHING that comes out of his mouth. This is not fake news, it's as I already said, a proven fact with Trump.

Another known and provable Trumpian behaviour pattern is Projection - project onto others, what you are guilty of or doing wrong yourself (even though the others may be completely innocent). The louder and more voracious, that Trump is about something, the greater the possibility that HE'S wrong/guilty on the same thing!

So if Trump is saying the book is all lies . . . how right is he on that? How much credibility does he have?

Now Wolff may have taken some liberties, with the writing, but we don't know because of the above - the lies and the projections (Trump will NEVER admit to anything), but if even a 1/3 of what he says is really true, then Trump is still, extraordinarily incompetent and ill-suited to the job of President!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: No dedicated thread to the Wolf book? [JD21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JD21 wrote:
Trump is an idiot and the book can still be full of mistruths, falsehoods, exaggerations, vitriol, and truth.

Both are likely true, IMO.

x2. I'm not sure how one can disagree with your statement.
Quote Reply

Prev Next