Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Oregonians are losing their shit [Tik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is Jesse Thomas, Gwen Jorgenson, and the Nike project peeps going to handle this? Will pumping gas affect their training? Oh the horror šŸ˜†
Quote Reply
Re: Oregonians are losing their shit [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I promise someone will find a way.

At a minimum they will pump gas into their diesel vehicle. Either way it's no bueno.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is just an extreme example of fear of the unknown. People make up all kinds of horror stories in their minds to psych themselves out of trying something new.

I should probably bring this to the main forum but I remember my first 6 mile run, how much of a massive effort it was to talk myself into it. I had my three gu's lined up and all my water bottles filled, I cleaned my sunglasses, I had a playlist that'd ease me into the run then some good hard rock to bring me home the final mile or so. I changed what I was wearing twice because it looked like it was gonna get a little colder later in the run.

Two months later I'd pop out the door for a quick 6-mile loop, sometimes forgetting my headphones and not even bothering with water or gus.

Long story short: people need to get out of their own heads and stop worrying so much, myself included. I've never freaked out about pumping gas before but there are PLENTY of things I was worried about that in hindsight was the dumbest thing ever to be concerned over.
Quote Reply
Re: Oregonians are losing their shit [Yeti racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I grew up in OR in the 70's. Was lots of fun. Folks there are no dumber than anywhere else. The problem is that the Internet makes our civilization's halfwits and snowflakes so much more visible than they used to be.

Most Oregonians are thinking "cool, cheaper gas". Some gas station owners, no doubt, will transition to two tier priced "full service" and "self service" island like the old days. But the "full service" islands will go away again, just like they did 30-40yrs ago because folks won't want to pay the additional $$.

The snowflakes apparently didn't take econ. If there's lots of folks concerned about pumping their own gas, of course the market would find a way to accommodate them.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Last edited by: RangerGress: Jan 6, 18 15:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LOL...

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Oregonians are losing their shit [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
I grew up in OR in the 70's. Was lots of fun. Folks there are no dumber than anywhere else. The problem is that the Internet makes our civilizations halfwits and snowflakes so much more visible than they used to be.

Most Oregonians are thinking "cool, cheaper gas". Some gas station owners, no doubt, will transition to two tier priced "full service" and "self service" island like the old days. But the "full service" islands will go away again, just like they did 30-40yrs ago because folks won't want to pay the additional $$.

The snowflakes apparently didn't take econ. If there's lots of folks concerned about pumping their own gas, of course the market would find a way to accommodate them.

This. I moved from MN to OR 3 years ago. Most people out here are more than ready to pump their own gas if it reduced the cost and will reduce time sitting at the pump.

Cheers!
Quote Reply
Re: Oregonians are losing their shit [ACE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 a state that overwhelmingly voted for Hillary, does not surprise me one bit that these idiots can't pump their own gas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm adjacent to OR in Idaho and have slipped up and attempted to pump my own gas in OR many times over the years. Usually, a friendly worker hurries out, reminds me, and does the deed; occasionally, people lose it (usually self-righteous non-gas-employees).

OR's no-self-pump policy has always been about providing jobs, though for just as long it has (incredulously) been sold as a public safety issue. OR's citizenry have engaged in some sort of grand mass delusion to accept the safety premise.

The piĆØce de rĆ©sistance on the list of absurdities surrounding the old policy is that the unspoken job-providing impetus is a classic case of the Broken Window Fallacy and really provided no net economic benefit to the society.

"It is not seen that as our shopkeeper has spent six francs upon one thing, he cannot spend them upon another. It is not seen that if he had not had [somebody pump his gas], he would, perhaps, have replaced his old shoes, or added another book to his library. In short, he would have employed his six francs in some way, which this [policy] has prevented."

[EDITED to fix link.]

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Jan 5, 18 14:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Over having to pump gas.

http://dailycaller.com/...ervice-gas-stations/

ā€œI donā€™t even know HOW to pump gas and I am 62, native Oregonianā€¦..I say NO THANKS! I donā€™t want to smell like gasoline!ā€

ā€œDisabled, seniors, people with young children in the car need help. Not to mention getting out of your car with transients around and not feeling safe too. This is a very bad idea. Grr,ā€

ā€œNot a good idea, there are lots of reasons to have an attendant helping, one is they need a job too. Many people are not capable of knowing how to pump gas and the hazards of not doing to correctly. Besides I donā€™t want to go to work smelling of gas when I get it on my hands or clothes. I agree Very bad idea,ā€

I didn't know that it was possible to not be capable of knowing how to pump gas. I guess I am just smarter than most.

I used to be a pump jockey at an Amoco full-service gas station, two repair bays, back in high school in the mid-1970s. There was no such thing as self-service gas in Detroit in those days. So I hired in at $1.60 hourly and began my training for the job, which consisted of the owner walking me out to the pumps, telling me they sold three blends, including regular leaded (they hadn't banned it as yet and plenty of cars required it) and "no knock", showing me how to pump the gas into a car and, most importantly, how to make change from the $20 worth of bills we each kept in our right front shirt pocket and, of course, how to swipe a credit card on one of those old carbon-copy-pen-and-ink imprint machines. And that was it. Took about 3.5 minutes, I think. I did okay, too.

But these Oregonians. I think they mean to do this with their new self-serve gas freedom. Because they're fools who can't pick their noses and walk in a straight line at the same time, apparently: ;-)

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply

Prev Next