Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Group Text Message Etiquette
Quote | Reply
Does anyone else find group text messaging mostly annoying? Not because of the initial message, but because of the replies?

Just got a group text message from my boss informing me and my colleagues of the status of school tomorrow (canceled for students, staff still have to report). This is a good use of group messaging. What ensues next is the bane of every group text message- the incessant replies that I don't need to read because they're meant for the boss. "Thanks" "Okay" "Got it". Ahhh- make it stop!!

There are currently etiquette rules for email that need to be trained into people for text messaging. Part of this means that they need to start programming new options into the group text message code, such as a BCC for group messages and a Reply Sender/ Reply All option. Don't reply to the group if the info isn't meant for the whole group. It's not that complicated people.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Group Text Message Etiquette [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol.

Civilize the mind, but make savage the body.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My boss used to get so irked by misused reply to all’s that I would fake add him in just for entertainment on ones he was not included in.

I’ve added John as I know he will find it critical to know the 86th person who will reply to all to tell us to not reply to all.
Quote Reply
Re: Group Text Message Etiquette [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it, thanks!

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a rule, I think it's really important to reply to group text at about 11 PM.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hate group texts for exactly that same reason. Now that I regularly wear an Apple Watch, it is even worse. I keep it silent, but the repeated buzz drives me nuts. I would turn it off, but, I use the alerts for work, which I need.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Group Text Message Etiquette [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lol, thanks!

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Re: Group Text Message Etiquette [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ead

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: Group Text Message Etiquette [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Omg!

Smh.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I couuld not agree more.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I remember my tri group using GroupMe a few years back to communicate with us before an Ironman. I made a point of turning off/opting out from the group text the day before so that I didn't get bothered that night. I didn't realize it turned back on the next day, which was of course at midnight.

About 3am: "Hey, anyone else awake and having trouble sleeping?"

Which starts a bunch of replies from other people not sleeping well.

I, on the other hand, was sound asleep... until my phone blew up with said text messages. I was fucking pissed. How selfish and insensitive is it to do that? I responded: "Hey inconsiderate assholes, some of us were sleeping and now we are all awake. Thanks!"

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Group Text Message Etiquette [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’ll be thinking about this tonight as you lay down to try to sleep.

You’ll hear every little noise in the house. Every creak, maybe a drip of a faucet.

Then you’ll think about that thing at work that’s been looming, causing you stress.

After laying there for hour or so, unsuccessfully trying to sleep, you’ll probably start to feel hungry and be tempted to get up an have a snack.

But since the new year you’ve promised yourself to eat better and this will cause you more anxiety, which only serve to keep yo awake longer and longer.

Pretty soon it’ll be 3:30am and you haven’t slept! You have to get some sleep in before your alarm goes off and you have to get up and go to your stressful thankless job......

Sweet dreams.

- Chinese proverb
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A) why do you have an alert for texts?
B) if you insists on alerts why not set do not disturb for sleeping hours?
Quote Reply
Re: Group Text Message Etiquette [Duffy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duffy wrote:
You’ll be thinking about this tonight as you lay down to try to sleep.

You’ll hear every little noise in the house. Every creak, maybe a drip of a faucet.

Then you’ll think about that thing at work that’s been looming, causing you stress.

After laying there for hour or so, unsuccessfully trying to sleep, you’ll probably start to feel hungry and be tempted to get up an have a snack.

But since the new year you’ve promised yourself to eat better and this will cause you more anxiety, which only serve to keep yo awake longer and longer.

Pretty soon it’ll be 3:30am and you haven’t slept! You have to get some sleep in before your alarm goes off and you have to get up and go to your stressful thankless job......

Sweet dreams.

This is pretty much what happened. I didn't sleep for shit and finally just got out of bed at 4:30. I'm not sure I slept for one minute last night.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Group Text Message Etiquette [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A) why do you have an alert for texts?
---
Is this a real question? It's one of the prime functions of a phone these days and other people text me (Ex: The Wife) of whom I'm interested in knowing when their text pops up. I also was looking forward to the text from the boss, in this instance, so the alert was a positive. See, it's not about the alert function.

B) if you insists on alerts why not set do not disturb for sleeping hours?
---

I do. How is this germane?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My phone is very far away from me when I go to bed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good morning, sweetie!

Seriously, though, if you have trouble with insomnia let me know and I’ll post my 100% sure fire method of getting rid of it.

I used to suffer from horrific insomnia and cured it, naturally. Mostly bu modifying my behavior.

- Chinese proverb
Last edited by: Duffy: Jan 5, 18 5:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
I remember my tri group using GroupMe a few years back to communicate with us before an Ironman. I made a point of turning off/opting out from the group text the day before so that I didn't get bothered that night. I didn't realize it turned back on the next day, which was of course at midnight.

About 3am: "Hey, anyone else awake and having trouble sleeping?"

Which starts a bunch of replies from other people not sleeping well.

I, on the other hand, was sound asleep... until my phone blew up with said text messages. I was fucking pissed. How selfish and insensitive is it to do that? I responded: "Hey inconsiderate assholes, some of us were sleeping and now we are all awake. Thanks!"
Ha, I have a few buddies who're on a group text, one of them is in California. We'll text about football and family and odd stuff that comes up. One of the guys will routinely, once every few months, send off a text at 7am EST about some nonsense, which sparks fifty responses. The Cali guy is obviously pissed every time but there's nothing he can do.

I find it hilarious because it's the same dumbass every time, and the guy in California just has no control over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing worse is when someone one a web forum wants to respond to a specific statement in a reply.
Instead, they quote the whole thread, incl all previous quotes within the quote.

Thank god that doesn't happen much on ST.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ended up being part of 2 or 3 group text messages on New Year's Day wishing me (and everyone else) a happy new year. The most memorable was sent out by my mostly tech-illiterate mother-in-law to all of her children, spouses, and the grandchildren old enough to own phones. After an hour of "you too!" and "thank you!" from most of the people, one of the 16 year old nieces stopped the replies by sending this:

I texted her privately to say "WTF?" and she replied that she "simply didn't have anything else to add to the conversation." So, there you go, a surefire way to end a group text message.

-------------
"Life is fragile - we are all just a slip or a car crash away from being a very different person."
Last edited by: drew_235: Jan 5, 18 8:35
Quote Reply
Re: Group Text Message Etiquette [drew_235] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ll keep that in mind but am highly hesitant to send that to my female boss and a group of mostly female colleagues. For some reason, it might not have the overall desired effect coming from me and would probably encourage another message from HR.

Quote Reply
Re: Group Text Message Etiquette [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
As a rule, I think it's really important to reply to group text at about 11 PM.

Some friends started a group thread on we chat app about a upcoming bachelor party. He replied ok at 3am and woke me up. Really lame and disrespectful.

I stopped the alerts from we chat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You might change your mind when the cute girl in marketing sends a sexy selfie to the group on accident. Then your glad your in the group.
Quote Reply