Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My Black Rifle Build [Steve Hawley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very nice build, what type of wood Is the stock? And how are you going to finish it?
Quote Reply
Re: My Black Rifle Build [Constantine] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks shipmate :-)

The stock is curly maple. It's a few months out but i intend to treat the wood with Aqua Fortis and a heat gun---just like the colonial gun makers did ;-) Then hand rub oil finish

it's been quite a journey. I've gone up to Atlanta several times to attend night classes at a Fine Woodworking store there. Sharpening hand tools (gouges and chisels) was a big one and very eye opening. I've really learned a lot on project and there's more yet to go!

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Love seeing this thread come up again, and you are doing great.
Two things. Brad point bits make accurate drilling easier. The point and spurs keep the bit from wandering.
Second, nitric acid is seriously nasty shit. It will eat anything. You need a full face shield, gloves up to your armpits, etc. There are no cartridges that can block the fumes, you would need an outside air respirator to be safe. Let me know what color you are aiming for and I should be able to come up with a safer solution. I do this for a living. (The old guys didn't work with as pure a chemical as what you will get today, which is why they didn't risk their health as much).

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply
Re: My Black Rifle Build [jriosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim

I've looked at your work on your website and it's humbling to a hack like me. I'll PM you and maybe set up a call if I've any questions

I'm months out of whisker finishing the stock and then staining and oiling it. There's a guy that sells gun kits (not what I'm doing here) as well as finishing products and i was planning on using the Aqua Fortis solution he sells which is pretty diluted stuff by all accounts?

Once i 'heat gun' it the curly maple stock should look like this?

So now i'm just trying to get the brass side panel is about 80% condition so i can inlet it into the wood--the brass side panel is decorative and basically serves as a washer for the screws that go thru and hold the lock panel on the other (firing ) side of the weapon.

All the brass pieces come sand cast. Which means lots of filing and then working thru progressive levels of sand paper to get rid of file marks. Nothing to it but turn on XM radio and get after it.

Shop Dog! Penny is a great help of course ;-)

/r

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, that is a whole different ball game. They did the dangerous stuff for you (reducing the nitric acid with iron). That still be pretty safe to work with. Only thing I can add by my reading in gun forums is finding the right type of heat gun. It sounds like your average big box store paint stripper type is not adequate.
Love the color. I could do that with aniline dyes, but that type of finish chemistry ( much like ebonizing with a vinegar/ steel wool solution) is extremely resistant to uv fading in light.
Good luck, I look forward to the results.
Oh, and have lots of scraps to practice on.

Jim
"In dog beers, I've only had one"
http://www.shakercolonial.com/
Creating custom made furnishing to your requirements
Quote Reply

Prev Next