Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Power-Meter Advice (Garmin vs. Quarq) [Vanity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Vector 3S, super easy to change between my tri bike and road bike <1 minute easily with a pedal wrench (Loose or tighten with wrench and then just twist on/off with fingers). I'm trying to get a spare right pedal (non-functioning) to put on my other bike so I only have to switch my left pedal and make it even quicker.

They don't require a specific torque (like the older versions), super clean looking pedal and accurate to 1%.... I had used ultegra 6800 pedals prior and they feel very similar to the garmins/look cleats.

The only thing I will say about the garmin pedals is they don't sit return to vertical when unclipped quite as well as normal pedals (apparently has something to do with protecting the electronics inside). Still, I haven't had any issue with clippping in.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had the Vector 2 and switched from bike to bike with no problem at all, 5 minute job. Got a good deal on the Vector 3 so I upgraded and I really see no difference in the performance. Changing bike to bike will be a 1 minute job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will start by saying I think I received a lemon from Garmin, and i will be getting my Vector 3s pedals replaced; however...

I have not had a pleasant experience with my vectors so far. Yes, they go on very easily. They pair easily to my phone and garmin. Firmware updates and battery status through te phone is convenient. Calibration (zero offset) is quick or quicker than any other PM I've owned (powertap, stages, and quarq).

But, my data has been terribly inaccurate. I did a zero offset before a gravel race Saturday. My normalized power at the end of the 100k was 822 and avg watts was 749. The other day I was riding and felt like my power numbers drifted about 30-40% low, even though it seemed accurate the first few miles. I stopped an did a zero offset again, and then it was reading about double what I would guess i was riding. On other rides, it would just go to 0 watts no matter how hard i was riding.

I know that with any manufacturing (especially tech) there is the possibility of creating and selling a defective unit. Hopefully i will get the replacement unit in and it will at least be close in accuracy.

I also have a little buyers remorse about getting the 3s instead of the 3. whenever I'm going intervals, i can't help but wonder if my number is 2% or so too low due to imbalance between my right and left leg. My mind starts wondering if my left leg is working less, and therefor i'm getting a lower number. Or, I'll realize that I'm trying to drive my left leg harder just to see the number increase, even though I'm really not receiving the benefit. At the end of the day, it isn't really all that important to be if the 3s is a little less accurate than the 3, but I still do kind of wish i would have coughed up the extra money up front, rather than having to do the upgrade later.
Last edited by: sxevegan: Feb 5, 18 11:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if the Edge 800 is compatible with Garmin Vector 3? Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Power-Meter Advice (Garmin vs. Quarq) [frogfour] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently not...

https://buy.garmin.com/.../CA/p/573589#devices

My guess is that it should work with ANT+, but you will not get all the features (cycling dynamics, etc.)
Quote Reply
Re: Power-Meter Advice (Garmin vs. Quarq) [benleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 810 isn't on the list but I can tell you first hand that it does work with the Vector 3 and it gives you the cycling dynamics in Garmin Connect
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
100th opinion here FWIW - I have Quark (1 year) on one bike and Rotor (6 years) on another. Both have been flawless for me. I go back and forth as to whether I like rechargeable (Rotor) or battery (Quark).

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply

Prev Next