Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Down goes the Papa, John
Quote | Reply
http://washingtonpress.com/...ust-forced-step-ceo/

Apparently his comments on how the football kneely thing hurt the company more that the kneely thing itself.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Down goes the Papa, John [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't you love capitalism!

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
At least he didn't go down in a blaze of sexual misconduct allegations. The thought came to mind when I saw the thread title.

It's kind of a weird story, really. I don't get the outrage about what he said. He said that the NFL players kneeling was polarizing, and expressed that he thought that they would stop.

He's the owner and founder of one of the NFL's sponsors. He has a vested interest in the success of the NFL, because he's tying his brand to them as a major sponsor.

For that he gets booted off the board? At least I bet he's rich and doesn't give a shit at that level.
Quote Reply
Re: Down goes the Papa, John [zed707] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"At least I bet he's rich and doesn't give a shit at that level. "

If there's one thing that I've learned in the last year its that rich people have very thick skin and are not easily rattled by anything because all that money they made in the past gave them very secure egos and they've got nothing left to prove.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Down goes the Papa, John [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If there's one thing that I've learned in the last year its that rich people have very thick skin and are not easily rattled by anything because all that money they made in the past gave them very secure egos and they've got nothing left to prove.

I can think of one rich person who is the complete opposite in terms of having a thick skin and who obsesses over what others think about him.
Last edited by: Sanuk: Dec 21, 17 18:54
Quote Reply
Re: Down goes the Papa, John [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

I can think of one rich person who is the complete opposite in terms of having a thick skin and who obsesses over what others think about him.

Sarcasm. .....................................................................................................------------------------------>>>>> You.

Quote Reply
Re: Down goes the Papa, John [Sanuk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sanuk wrote:

now, we need to just leave barack out of this.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is really interesting to me. I wonder if the board made the decision because there are that many people who support the kneeling and were boycotting their brand - or of they are doing it for political/social reasons.
Quote Reply
Re: Down goes the Papa, John [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing he just seems like a flaming dickhead/douchenozzle (take yer pick) and it was simply a(ny) crack in the door that enabled them to show him out...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
This is really interesting to me. I wonder if the board made the decision because there are that many people who support the kneeling and were boycotting their brand - or of they are doing it for political/social reasons.

The article is a leftist hit piece. If you are interested then look for another source if you seek facts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
45 hours after he made his comment you didn't heard a thing about Papa Johns. I don't think the stock price is down because of what he said and he's the founder, largest shareholder and chairman of the board. Did they push him to steep down?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:

I'm going with the latter, given what just happened with his N-word usage debacle.

Quote:
John Schnatter, the founder and public face of Papa John's pizza, resigned as the company's chairman hours after he apologized for using the N-word on a conference call in May.

...On the call in May, Schnatter sought to downplay the significance of his criticism of the league and its players, Forbes reported.

"Colonel Sanders called blacks n-----s," he said, complaining that Sanders had never received backlash, according to Forbes. The parent company of KFC did not immediately answer a request for comment.

Forbes also reported that Schnatter recalled growing up in Indiana, where he said people used to drag black people from their trucks until they died.

Forbes reported that Schnatter's comments were intended to demonstrate his stance against racism, but that people on the call were offended by them.

In a statement issued through the company, Schnatter said: "News reports attributing the use of inappropriate and hurtful language to me during a media training session regarding race are true. Regardless of the context, I apologize. Simply stated, racism has no place in our society."

His apology is a total non sequitur if the context was reported correctly.

The devil made me do it the first time, second time I done it on my own - W
Quote Reply
Re: Down goes the Papa, John [sphere] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Papa John is telling a different story:

"It wasn't a slur. It was a social strategy and media planning and training and I repeated something that somebody else said and said we're not going to say that. We don't use that kind of language or vocabulary and sure it got taken out of context and sure it got twisted, but that doesn't matter. I hurt people's feelings. That's what matters here. And for that, I'm sorry and I'm disappointed in myself that something like that could happen," he said.

http://abc13.com/...racial-slur/3764261/
Quote Reply
Re: Down goes the Papa, John [Perseus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I first heard what he said I was kind of on his side. He was saying the Colonel got away with being outright racist and now PJ's is getting killed for saying don't kneel.

But then I thought more of it. Let's say you were relating a similar story at work, in a meeting, on a teleconference, so a whole bunch of people listening. And the subject of the story called some one a n***er. For the record, I hate 'N-word', I feel like we are afraid of using Voldemort's name, but society has a different take than I do and I would be much more likely to just say 'slur'. And their use of the slur was the subject of the story.

Would you actually use the slur in question, no matter what slur it was? For the vast majority of people, slurs just don't roll off of your tongue very easily. It takes a different kind of person to feel comfortable popping those out, even if you are quoting someone else, among a large group of people.

If this was his only time dancing around this issue I'd bet he would get a pass. At this point I think they were looking for a way out.

I'm beginning to think that we are much more fucked than I thought.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here in Louisville, the UofL muckity-mucks have all been laying in wait for to Schnatter to fuck-up so that they can extract some Jurich and Pitino payback. John Schnatter was the guy who lit the UofL Athletic fuse during a Trustees meeting, probably close to 2 years ago. They finally got him.

Lifeguard: "Do you need help?" Me: "No, that's just my butterfly."
Last edited by: TriHard Indiana: Jul 16, 18 10:49
Quote Reply