Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Is the Cape Henlopen Tri on for 2018?
Quote | Reply
All (my apologies if I'm posting in the wrong forum),

Does anyone know what happened to the Cape Henlopen Tri/Du (in Lewes, DE)? It was put on by Piranha-Sports for many years, through 2017. VTSMTS (vtsmts.com) bought the Piranah-Sports races this year. Not seeing it on the VTSMTS calendar I emailed VTSMTS asking is they were putting it on in 2018. They said that "someone" bought that race before they bought the Piranha-Sports series. I don't want to bug VTSMTS about it since it's not their race and, I'm assuming, that they missed out on it.

Does anyone know who now owns the Cape Henlopen Tri (is there a website/registration?) and whether it will be taking place in 2018?

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Quote Reply
Re: Is the Cape Henlopen Tri on for 2018? [TriClydesdale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Steve,

I came across your post while I was looking whether the new race director has posted anything yet. The guy bought is the race director for at least half of the races here at the beach in Delaware (mostly running races, including half and full marathons, also two swim-run biathlons). I will contact him and follow up with you on here when I hear back.

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: Is the Cape Henlopen Tri on for 2018? [Tonyz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tony,

Ah, that makes sense. So it's probably Seashore Striders. Thanks for looking into this. And, yes, please let me know what you find out.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve,

Yes, Seashore Striders. I contacted Tim and he said he is waiting to release the info until he meets with the park. He also said that because he has been getting more involved with the Dewey Beach Tri and the Biathlons in Rehoboth he is going to be having a series based on the local tris, which should be great because he usually has nice premiums for series participants. Cape Henlopen Tri holds a special place in my heart, I imagine it will still have the kind of vibe that Neil had at all his races. The only thing I don't like about the race, other than the cold water in June is T1, I hate that 3/8 mile run from the beach. See you at the races!

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome. Thanks, Tony!

I agree completely about the run after the swim to T1. Not my favorite part. I took my time and put runnin gshoes on once to the blacktop path.

The first, and only, time I did the Cape Henlopen Tri was two years ago and I loved it. Last year I was registered but an injury stopped me from racing. I'm looking forward to doing more of them.

The Dewey Beach Tri registration is supposed to open one of the next four days, BTW. I've never done it but it looks like it will be fun.

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dewey is a lot of fun, nice warm ocean swim, flat ride down to Bethany and back and a run through Dewey. I look forward to meeting you, I'm part of the Certified Running Nuts, if you see anyone with a club shirt, ask them to point me out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just signed up for Dewey. While doing so, through the Seashore Striders pages, I saw this hint on the page ( https://www.seashorestriders.com/...ewey-beach-triathlon ) :

2018 TRI-BI-TRI CHALLENGE
The Seashore Striders will present a Special Award (Custon Medal, Polo, Hat are all possibilities- TBD at a later date) to anyone who completes the 2018 TRI-BI-TRI CHALLENGE:
- Cape Triathlon on June 10th
- Dave Reynolds Biathlon on July 1st
- Dewey Beach Triathlon on September 15th

So Seashore Striders did buy the Cape Henlopen Tri, now the Cape Tri. No registration available for it yet.

I'll see you at the races.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Is the Cape Henlopen Tri on for 2018? [scamp07] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scamp07 wrote:
Just came across this today:

https://www.seashorestriders.com/...e-henlopen-triathlon

Thank you!

Steve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like Tim opened up registration. Here is the link, he wrote a nice description of what he hopes to accomplish this first time and it sounds like he has been working with Neil to keep it the great event that it has always been. Tim does a lot of races at CHSP so knows every inch of the park (one of the races he puts on is almost entirely off road/paved trail and always a different course). Last year he was at the intersection of Gills Neck Rd/Kings Highway (the one big interesection), checking out the course. This is one of my favorite races, in the old days (10 years ago), the bike course went right past my house and I have a picture of my wife going by. With all the development going on around here putting on a triathlon presents a lot of challenges.

Can't wait to see all the other people who love this race and of course all the first timers. I hope Neil does this race at some point, a couple of years ago he told me he missed racing so I wasn't surprised to hear that he was retiring so he could get back into it

https://www.seashorestriders.com/...e-henlopen-triathlon
Quote Reply