Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Holster suggestions
Quote | Reply
I am in need of a holster for my CZ P75 P-O7. Since I am in Canada, I really only need it for range time. I would never consider packing my pistol when out hunting, especially bow hunting, or while hiking in the back woods around my place which are full of bears and wolves.

My prior experience with concealed holsters showed me that my body shape sucks for concealing holsters. OWB on my hip tended to stick out pretty bad, and IWB bruised my hips badly. Lower back was easy to conceal but sucked whenever I had to drive anywhere. My choices were severely limited by having to carry a gun that no civilian would ever carry by choice (S&W 5946), so very few manufacturers had options available.

Comfort is more important to me than concealment. Being stuck in a small town, I don't really have the option of trying different ones to see what works best, I am going to have to collect advice and then try my luck.

So, do any of you have any suggestions for me? And would anyone be interested in some S&W 5946 holsters and mag pouches, all in good shape with pretty limited use?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Re: Holster suggestions [skinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like a lot of the Blackhawk holsters - and they have just come out with a new one that fits multiple weapons with good security - I know it is OWB but that is my preference - it is called the Omnivore. Hope this helps

Graham

Graham Wilson
USAT Level III Elite Coach
http://www.thewilsongroup.biz
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have several from High Noon Holsters and really like them. I strongly prefer leather holsters to kydex for comfort and if you sweat a little on a hot day the leather will absorb the moisture rather than keeping it trapped against the gun.
https://www.highnoonholsters.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skinny wrote:
I am in need of a holster for my CZ P75 P-O7. Since I am in Canada, I really only need it for range time. I would never consider packing my pistol when out hunting, especially bow hunting, or while hiking in the back woods around my place which are full of bears and wolves.

My prior experience with concealed holsters showed me that my body shape sucks for concealing holsters. OWB on my hip tended to stick out pretty bad, and IWB bruised my hips badly. Lower back was easy to conceal but sucked whenever I had to drive anywhere. My choices were severely limited by having to carry a gun that no civilian would ever carry by choice (S&W 5946), so very few manufacturers had options available.

Comfort is more important to me than concealment. Being stuck in a small town, I don't really have the option of trying different ones to see what works best, I am going to have to collect advice and then try my luck.

So, do any of you have any suggestions for me? And would anyone be interested in some S&W 5946 holsters and mag pouches, all in good shape with pretty limited use?

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Holster suggestions [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought you swam a lot, I figured you be thinner.

ΜΟΛΩΝ-ΛΑΒΕ
we're doomed
Quote Reply
Re: Holster suggestions [Madduck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Between my wife having surgery and the stomach flu making the rounds in our house, I haven't been in the water in over a month :-(

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have become a huge fan of Alien Gear Holsters. If you are going OTW, I don't think you can get better.

http://aliengearholsters.com/holsters/cz75-p07.html

For IWB, nothing beats the No Print Wonder from Clincher Holsters.

https://clingerholsters.com/...ers-concealed-carry/

I have both for my Sig P938. Love 'em. I don't think either will let you down.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Last edited by: JSA: Dec 19, 17 10:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's just for range work and you never carry a pistol, an IWB holster makes no sense. You'll spend as much time re-tucking your shirt as shooting. If you carry, devoting practice with an IWB is essential. I can't comment about your specific CZ as my advice is specific to the pistols I use most often.

I share a preference for leather holsters with some of the other posters. I have holsters from many manufacturers (Kramer, Milt Sparks, Lou Alessi, Alex Nossar), and all are top notch in terms of fit, finish, and functionality -- all are worth both the wait and cost. That said, my holsters from Milt Sparks see the most use. For range work, I really prefer their 55BN in straight drop. It's fast and all-day comfortable.

Regardless of what you get, a good quality gun belt is a must. The finest holster in the world will perform horribly on a flimsy belt.
Quote Reply
Re: Holster suggestions [gotsand] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spent about 14 years carrying a pistol every day that I went to work, and about 3 of those was concealed only. I have pretty extensive training with both concealed and open carry.

In Canada, now that I am not doing that job I am only legally allowed to take my pistol from my home to a range and back. Wandering around in the forest with it could get me into trouble if I happened to come across a cop or conservation officer. In my area, there are about 8 cops and 1 conservation officer covering territory about the size of Vermont. I wonder what the odds of that happening are? In my 5 years in this area, it hasn't happened yet. I have come across a pack of wolves 4 times, and bears at least 10. It makes for an interesting risk assessment.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Starting from scratch...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In that case, I like the VM-II from Milt Sparks for CCW. Holds the pistol tight against the body (strong side @ 4-5 o'clock), well balanced, and as comfortable as it gets for carrying a govt model 1911 IWB (I know you've got a CZ). There are lots of holsters that follow the VM-II's basic design.

I also like appendix carry with the right pistol and holster (think j-frame).

If I could get anything, I'd pick up a rig from Matt Del Fatti in WI. Unfortunately, if he's even taking new orders you'll have to wait years.
Last edited by: gotsand: Dec 20, 17 7:41
Quote Reply
Re: Holster suggestions [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm a fan of the Alien Gear holsters too. I have one IWB and one OWB and like them both for my XD9.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent holsters for OWB, IWB, and/or appendix: https://www.trex-arms.com/store/ragnarok/

For comfort, try these brands: https://www.remoraholsterstore.com/ or https://stickyholsters.com/

I have and use all these holsters.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally don't like carrying a double stack IWB but if I was going to I'd go to Crossbreed, it's a leather against the skin, I have horsehide and a kydex retention. On my glock 43 holster I have from them I did have to cut some of the leather away above the stock so I could get my hand on the stock and my thumb behind it. I carry it at 4 o'clock and it's very comfortable. I also have a sticky holster for it, I use it when it's in the safe or laying around to protect the trigger. On long drives I put the gun in the sticky holster between the seat and center counsel. I got mine from their seconds outlet,,,, may be why I had to modify it myself a bit. https://www.crossbreed-seconds.com/

For a good range holster this is what I have but I think any good hard plastic or kydex will do. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N6NWTDO

For my double stack sub compact that I carry concealed OWB I use this and their double mag pouch. comfy and a jacket keeps it concealed.

Here is a company that makes a very rigid sturdy and well built holster that I have for a couple of my firearms. For the price it's an incredible value imo. They are called OutBasgsUSA which is a little confusing since they are based in Kalifornia? They are also available on Amazon,,,,,,,,,,,,, but what isn't.

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Last edited by: CruseVegas: Dec 20, 17 13:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skinny wrote:

OWB, about the 4 o'clock position, with the right-sized gun, a good gun belt, and the right size of clothing and you should be good to go if concealing it, even if it's a full sized weapon with a flashlight. Carrying off the body -- such as in a fanny pack or a shoulder bag -- isn't very smart, in my personal opinion. As to specific holster, a kydex holster with great retention and a covered trigger guard (none of my carry weapons have a safety, mainly because they get in the way and slow you down if you have to draw and target an assailant, so it's important that the trigger guard be covered) could work. There are about a million different holsters and holster makers out there. Mr. JSA mentioned Alien Gear, which is outstanding. Tulster is another quality kydex holster.

I don't like appendix carry, mostly for physical and tactical reasons. Sitting down, if you're trying to carry mid-size or full-size, can be a chore. Small of the back is a complete waste, if you ask me, for tactical reasons (if you're on your back it's going to be pretty difficult to draw). The gun holster is but one part of a multi-part equation, I'd say. Get all the parts to agree with each other and you'll have maximum carry/concealment and comfort snapped in.

"Politics is just show business for ugly people."
Quote Reply