Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
synthetic wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:
I just asked about this...being from LA, even in the summer we surf in wetsuits...wtf is this no-wetsuit rule?

Did they in the 1960s and prior?

I don't want to live like the 1960s and prior. That's why it's called "progress".

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
Local races, with some exception, seemed to be down about 5-10% in participation here in Minnesota. Just wondering what others saw this year and if you think we will bottom out this year and become stable or continue to decline?

I only raced in two local sprint triathlons this year that I have raced in prior years. For one of them, participation appeared to be down about 10%. For the other -- the much better of the two races historically -- participation was down by about 50% and the quality of the field was waaaaay down. Granted, last year the second triathlon was the week before World 70.3 in Chattanooga so we had a number of international racers show up. But this year's participation level was shockingly low.

And yes, I think part of the decline is generational. Age groups from 45 and up are pretty competitive and well subscribed. But if someone 18 to 24 wants an easy medal, all they practically have to do is show up and finish the distance!
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So now that Obstri has the full years' worth of WTC stats, it appears that 70.3 entries in the whole of Americas has taken a dip for the first time, ever (~94k to ~90.5k). Of course this is just WTC and doesn't include how many races these stats came from, but it is an interesting little tidbit. Worldwide growth supported by Europe mainly, with some growth in Asia.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think Ironman here in the US has finally lost its mojo......I predict they will continue to slide.....Ironman is not a lifestyle and it is not sustainable.......and hopefully this is good news for the short course local triathlons that can absolutely be a lifestyle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve-oH! wrote:
I think Ironman here in the US has finally lost its mojo......I predict they will continue to slide.....Ironman is not a lifestyle and it is not sustainable.......and hopefully this is good news for the short course local triathlons that can absolutely be a lifestyle.

Well, just to be clear, I was only referring to 70.3, not IM, which continues its slide in the Americas since its peak in 2015. IM lost its mojo in the US long ago (some would say before 2015 since growth in latam may have supported the Americas growth by one or two years). Now I wonder if 70.3s are beginning to slide but the stats aren't detailed enough (US versus Americas, # of races, proportion of US entries in US races) to declare.

We await the USAT annual report.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But which sport succeeds as a lifestyle? Yoga?

Are ironman participation the same as success of the sport? I still bike a lot and follow cycling sports, but I have not participated in a single race since my mid-20s and do not plan on returning to racing.

I do agree that the future of the race is in shorter-distance events (note I did not use the word race), and I think we got a marketing problem. "I did an ironman" vs. "I did an olympic distance triathlon". We need something that's easier to sell. Running equivalents are far easier to say (e.g. 3k, 5k, 10k). Although I'd say in reality there should be little overlap between 3/5k distance runners and marathon distance runners, it doesn't matter to the casual participant.

Steve-oH! wrote:
Ironman is not a lifestyle and it is not sustainable.......
Quote Reply
Re: What was Triathlon participation this year....another down year? [bloodyshogun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Idk...when I tell people that I play/played rugby and currently train for triathlons...both sports I tend to get scoffs...people think it's a tough thing to do no matter the distance. I think there are way more people who jump into the deep end with Ironman and train like shit and quit than those who start at the bottom.

My first tri ever was the Anthem Reverse sprint on a mountain bike...but if you judge who shows up every year it's 80% serious and fast people. Sprints and Olys really aren't "challenges". Whereas an Ironman, like a marathon, seems to be a once in a lifetime event...or with Marathon you have people who just want to get to Boston and then they stop running.

Hell another barrier to entry could just needing to be a member of USA Tri, every open water race out there seems to be sanctioned...and seemingly...for road races that are sanctioned I'm not required to be a member of USATF.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Dec 14, 18 12:36
Quote Reply

Prev Next